"20 intubations, but no patient who took Hydroxychloroquine-Azithromycin combo got intubated"

randomGuy

Let's wait and see. That's Fox News.

There is lots of anecdotal evidence saying that people who got azirthro + hydrocholoroquine recovered. And then there's similar evidence saying many people died despite this treatment. 

Indian government approved this treatment a few weeks ago. But our death rates are no different. 

The one I am watching is Remdesivir, but it's manufacturer (Gilead) is not granting it except to pregnant women and kids until the trials are complete. 

3 minutes ago, kosingh said:

The one I am watching is Remdesivir, but it's manufacturer (Gilead) is not granting it except to pregnant women and kids until the trials are complete. 

There are apparently reagent supply issues, so not easy to scale up availability quickly. AND its not proven yet...

5 hours ago, sandeep said:

There are apparently reagent supply issues, so not easy to scale up availability quickly. AND its not proven yet...

5 hours ago, kosingh said:

There is lots of anecdotal evidence saying that people who got azirthro + hydrocholoroquine recovered. And then there's similar evidence saying many people died despite this treatment. 

Indian government approved this treatment a few weeks ago. But our death rates are no different. 

GoI places order of 10.7 crore pills you already have 70,00,000 pills

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.timesofindia.com/india/covid-19-orders-for-over-10-crore-anti-malarial-hydroxychloroquine-tablets-placed-by-centre/amp_articleshow/74970960.cms

3 hours ago, randomGuy said:

My cousin is a Nurse, they have already had patients who are in ICU and on ventilators even after being given Hydroxychloroquine.  So its not a sure thing, don't get too excited.

3 hours ago, randomGuy said:

I was referring to remdesivir, not chloroquine when I mentioned the reagent issues..

Edited by sandeep

There are also some trials on the effectiveness of the BCG vaccine in reducing the severity of covid. 

Basically there are hundreds of trials on lots of different things. 

Governments and doctors are desperately trying many different things. Hopefully something pays off.  For India's sake it would be a nice miracle if the BCG vaccine trial shows promising results, although at this point it's just another trial and nothing more. 

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

My cousin is a Nurse, they have already had patients who are in ICU and on ventilators even after being given Hydroxychloroquine.  So its not a sure thing, don't get too excited.

That's bad. Hopefully they are less on average.

9 hours ago, kosingh said:

Old people in most cases will die. No matter what treatment you give.

Dr. Vladimir Zelenko says @16 mins , governments of USA, Israel, Russia Ukraine are in touch with him government of Israel is implementing his treatment protocol(hydroxychloroquine Azithromycin zinc) nationwide

He has seen 911 cases of covid19 in his hospital, 350 serious/potentially serious ones where he recommended his regimen and just three intubations out of that and zero deaths... In normal case scenario he says there would have been 18-35(5-10%) deaths..

Edited by randomGuy

6 hours ago, randomGuy said:

^^Government of Ukraine called him for advice, he advise them to use hcq for all the people over 60 years age in Ukraine and use of army for distribution of pills.

He's been pushing HCQ for a long time for a number of conditions.  And desperate govts calling him means very little in terms of real clinical evidence.  Trials are underway, we must await results.  Indiscriminately prescribing every promising medication is not how medicine is practiced.  Its a desperation move that could (a) put CoViD patients at greater risk and (b) reduce supplies of HCQ for people who have proven reasons to take it regularly.   

11 hours ago, kosingh said:

There are also some trials on the effectiveness of the BCG vaccine in reducing the severity of covid. 

Basically there are hundreds of trials on lots of different things. 

Governments and doctors are desperately trying many different things. Hopefully something pays off.  For India's sake it would be a nice miracle if the BCG vaccine trial shows promising results, although at this point it's just another trial and nothing more. 

The BCG trial (4000 healthcare workers in Melbourne, Aus) is the one I am trying not to get excited about. 

18 hours ago, kosingh said:

If they grant it without proper trials and then the $*** hits the fan with some terrible side-effects etc., the company could cease to exist.  

9 minutes ago, Param Mastishk Pheeka said:

He's been pushing HCQ for a long time for a number of conditions.  And desperate govts calling him means very little in terms of real clinical evidence.  Trials are underway, we must await results.  Indiscriminately prescribing every promising medication is not how medicine is practiced.  Its a desperation move that could (a) put CoViD patients at greater risk and (b) reduce supplies of HCQ for people who have proven reasons to take it regularly.   

There have been few small studies in China and France which suggest that it works, I am sure you can look them up... Was thinking if healthcare workers are high risk groups for which these medications are suggested right now, then old people could also be high risk groups.

33 minutes ago, Param Mastishk Pheeka said:

If they grant it without proper trials and then the $*** hits the fan with some terrible side-effects etc., the company could cease to exist.  

That would be on the FDA.  I don't think being sued is their primary concern - Gilead's pricing is quite steep, and Remdesivir is not easy to mass produce. If they suddenly agree to provide it en masse, while its not even proven to work, their longterm pricing will be impacted.  There's simply not a lot to gain for them.... 

31 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Was thinking if healthcare workers are high risk groups for which these medications are suggested right now

I think a lot of hospitals are already having staff take it pre-emptively.  But again, that doesn't mean it works.  Its a cost-benefit decision, not an efficacy one...

4 hours ago, randomGuy said:

There have been few small studies in China and France which suggest that it works, I am sure you can look them up... Was thinking if healthcare workers are high risk groups for which these medications are suggested right now, then old people could also be high risk groups.

The key is ... small studies.  And the results are inconclusive at best.  Without running large RCTs, you cannot willy-nilly put something out there.