Anime/Manga Thread

I6MTW

A thread exclusively for Anime and manga lovers. I know there was a thread for discussing animation but that was more of a genral thread. I thought it would be better to create a thread exclusively for this since anime and manga ate different art forms all together. Plus some light hearted discussions to ease the pain and negativity caused by the COVID outbreak.

Just watched death note after nearly 10 years. I vaguely remember it. But I must say starting from the first episode till the 26th was storytelling and characterization at its peak. Definitely worth all the hype. 

There seems to be quite a less no of anime followers here. Some of the anime and manga have been really well done, intended for adults and other older audiences. 

Monster is such an example. One of the best Anime I've seen. Way better than Death Note. It was much more realistic, more mature, gritty, dark, and the characters were all complex, with great character development. 

Johan Liebert has to be one of the most interesting and complex villains of all time. 

Im not a regular follower of animes though Ive watched some on Netflix like Death Note, AoT, Full Metal Alchemist, Devilman Crybaby, Steins Gate, Psycho Pass, Zankyou no terror . Although my favorite ones are still Hajime no ippo and Pingpong, both sports based ones and absolutely terrific.

14 minutes ago, Vickydev said:

Im not a regular follower of animes though Ive watched some on Netflix like Death Note, AoT, Full Metal Alchemist, Devilman Crybaby, Steins Gate, Psycho Pass, Zankyou no terror . Although my favorite ones are still Hajime no ippo and Pingpong, both sports based ones and absolutely terrific.

Ping Pong is great. Very realistic and very rapid character development. 

I suggest you watch Monster. It's a more complete and mature version of Death Note. With more complex characterization.

Good-Great

Attack on Titan

Monster

Code Geass

Cowboy Beebop

Valkyria Chronicles 

Dragonball(original not Z)

Okay

Samurai Champloo

Neon Genesis Evangelion is okay, and I understood what they were doing with the original ending, but it seemed like a chore to watch much of the time.

Death Note was good only in the first half, even then, it is over-hyped in that portion, IMO. 

DBZ(too much filler, should have ended at the Cel Arc,IMO)

I still have to watch 

Ghost In A Shell

Edited by Tibarn

8 hours ago, Tibarn said:

Good-Great

Attack on Titan

Monster

Code Geass

Cowboy Beebop

Valkyria Chronicles 

Okay

Samurai Champloo

Neon Genesis Evangelion is okay, and I understood what they were doing with the original ending, but it seemed like a chore to watch much of the time.

Death Note was good only in the first half, even then, it is over-hyped in that portion, IMO. 

I still have to watch 

Ghost In A Shell

I've seen ghost in the shell the movie. Which was great, probably one of my fav anime films along with Your Name.

I haven't seen the series Ghost In the Shell.

14 hours ago, I6MTW said:

I've seen ghost in the shell the movie. Which was great, probably one of my fav anime films along with Your Name.

I haven't seen the series Ghost In the Shell.

People keep highly recommending it to me, so I want to see it. The animation looks very dated, so I chose to watch Attack on Titan instead recently, but it is next in my queue. 

10 hours ago, Tibarn said:

People keep highly recommending it to me, so I want to see it. The animation looks very dated, so I chose to watch Attack on Titan instead recently, but it is next in my queue. 

Well GITS is like a franchise now. I suggest you watch the movie first and then the series.

I'd recommend Steins Gate, it's really good.

On 7/24/2020 at 4:40 PM, Tibarn said:

Good-Great

Attack on Titan

Monster

Code Geass

Cowboy Beebop

Valkyria Chronicles 

Okay

Samurai Champloo

I still have to watch 

Ghost In A Shell

first 2-3 entries are indeed awesome in the list.

On 7/24/2020 at 2:56 AM, I6MTW said:

Ping Pong is great. Very realistic and very rapid character development. 

I suggest you watch Monster. It's a more complete and mature version of Death Note. With more complex characterization.

Ping Pong is one of my all-time fav "sports" anime (although it's much more than that). another show I really liked which uses the backdrop of sport for character growth/development is "run with the end". great ending arc.

12 hours ago, Vijy said:

Ping Pong is one of my all-time fav "sports" anime (although it's much more than that). another show I really liked which uses the backdrop of sport for character growth/development is "run with the end". great ending arc.

Yes Ping pong is one of the best sports animation, along with Haikyuu and Baby steps. All 3 are very realistic.

6 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Yes Ping pong is one of the best sports animation, along with Haikyuu and Baby steps. All 3 are very realistic.

I am a big fan of haikyuu, but I would not describe it "realistic" to the same extent as ping pong, run with the wind, and baby steps (or even giant killing). I regard haikyuu more like hajime no ippo (another ATG classic) in the sense that it has psychological realism and character development, but it does have a lot of elements that are not realistic game-wise.

2 hours ago, Vijy said:

I am a big fan of haikyuu, but I would not describe it "realistic" to the same extent as ping pong, run with the wind, and baby steps (or even giant killing). I regard haikyuu more like hajime no ippo (another ATG classic) in the sense that it has psychological realism and character development, but it does have a lot of elements that are not realistic game-wise.

Yea, but at least it's not as superpowery like Prince of Tennis or Kuruko's Basket.

2 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Yea, but at least it's not as superpowery like Prince of Tennis or Kuruko's Basket.

yes, kuroko's basket is entertaining, but it should not be called sports anime. First season of Yowamushi Pedal is fantastic in my book, but the later ones dragged on and became more unrealistic.

I watched a lot back in the 90s and early 2000s.

Some of my favourites were:

Cyber City Oedo 808

Devil Man

Ninja Scroll

Blood The Last Vampire

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust

Ghost In The Shell

Akira

They don't do big budget movies geared towards older viewers anymore unfortunately.

Edited by Ranvir

10 hours ago, Ranvir said:

I watched a lot back in the 90s and early 2000s.

Some of my favourites were:

Cyber City Oedo 808

Devil Man

Ninja Scroll

Blood The Last Vampire

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust

Ghost In The Shell

Akira

They don't do big budget movies geared towards older viewers anymore unfortunately.

yes, that is true. Is devil man referring to devilman crybaby? if so, there's a new version out. GITS (ghost in the shell) and akira in particular are classics.

16 hours ago, Vijy said:

yes, that is true. Is devil man referring to devilman crybaby? if so, there's a new version out. GITS (ghost in the shell) and akira in particular are classics.

No it's the original one from 1987.

40:00 to 46:00 is brilliant. I wonder if they still make stuff like that these days.

29 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

No it's the original one from 1987.

40:00 to 46:00 is brilliant. I wonder if they still make stuff like that these days.

classic anime has its own appeal (my own fav is the world masterpiece theater series), but I think there are some excellent anime these days too, albeit amid a lot of trash

22 hours ago, Vijy said:

classic anime has its own appeal (my own fav is the world masterpiece theater series), but I think there are some excellent anime these days too, albeit amid a lot of trash

I'm probably just too damn old for anime now!

I watched Sword of the Stranger a few months ago, I'm sure if I was a teenager I would have found it the greatest thing ever but to be honest I found it a bit boring and silly. It's the same with Hajime No Ippo, despite being a boxing fan I found it too theatrical. A lot of anime has a lot in Bollywood theatrics.