1976 bowling speed study

zen

1976 Study

A study was made by Dr Frank Pyke of the University of Western Australia, Perth. The single fastest ball in an eight-ball over bowled is listed (measured in what is believed to be net conditions).

Player Mph Kph
Jeff Thomson 99.8 160.6kph
Andy Roberts 97.8 157.4kph
Dennis Lillee 96.2 154.8kph
Michael Holding 95.2 153.2kph
Wayne Daniel 93.7 150.8kph
Bob Willis 90.7 145.9kph

The note below is also interesting:

Other Reports

• Harold Larwood was rated as possibly the fastest bowler of all time in a book "The Fast Men" by David Frith (Corgi Books, 1977, p114). It quotes a recorded speed of 96mph (154.5 kph), although it is not clear how this speed was obtained.

• The same book says that both Frank Tyson and Brian Statham were timed at just under 90mph (144.8kph). Tyson himself said of this: "We were measured at the NZ Aeronautical College in Wellington in 1955. A metal plate was attached to a ball, which was then bowled through a sonic beam. It produced a whistle, which was measured and then the speed was worked out according to the distance covered and the length of the whistle. I was measured at 89mph and Statham at 87mph. We bowled in two or three sweaters, and I cannot vouch for the length of our run-ups." Read: full article. At Tyson's fastest, he's said to be as fast as any bowler ever.

Currently, from those retired or about to retire, my bowlers preference is like below:

1st 11

• Marshall 
  • Hadlee
  • Ambrose
  • Warne 

The above set compliment each other nicely. Marshall is the premier test match pace bowler who can be effective on most conditions. Hadlee is also effective in most conditions, brings accuracy and swing into equation, and as an AR can bat well too. Ambrose can be lethal with his accuracy, pace and bounce, while being unplayable in the 4th innings. Maybe the go-to bowler when defending 150 or less. And of course, to do the spinner duties, the ace test match spinner Warne is available. Warne-Ambrose in the 4th inning can be a handful. 

2nd 11

• Lillee
  • Donald
  • Steyn
  • Murali 

Lillee is considered a complete bowler by many. Donald is express and can bowl those missile like accurate pacy yorkers. Steyn brings pace and swing to the table. Murali can spin the ball almost anywhere. This is a pacy bunch and can also move the ball in a big way. When on fire, they can deliver freak performances! 

3rd 11

• McGrath
  • Roberts
  • Wasim
  • Chandra

This set has a lot of skilled bowlers including the accurate and calculating McGrath. Roberts, like Lillee, can be seen as a well rounded bowler - can be quick and store a bunch of tricks up his sleeves.  Wasim can do a lot of things with the ball (no pun intended). While Chandra is a mystery spinner with a high percentage of 5-ers per inning. It is said that at times even Chandra did not know which way the ball would turn! 

Edited by zen
4 hours ago, Sooda said:

Wasim would be in my first team, simply because of left arm angle. And McGrath > Lillee IMHO... in light of their records in the subcontinent

The thread on Dennis Lillee expands on what happened to fast bowlers in subcon when  Lillee played Link

What a fall in 3 yrs that these bowlers were clocked below 150. Which means one of the speed machines was faulty. 

About the fast bowlers list, you can look at it from any angle and Ambrose and Lillees would not match Dale Steyn.  Stats is like bikini, what it reveals is suggestive. But what it conceals is essential. 

Marshall would be as good or slightly below Dale Steyn. Steyn would be almost as good or slightly above Donald. 

When it comes to wicket taking ability and consistency, nobody matches Mcgrath. When it comes to sheer talent, hardly anyone can match up Wasim.

Good consistency, wicket taking ability, aggression, more than decent pace - Ambrose. 

In my book and in most people book, Lillee will not match any of the bowlers. 

On 4/4/2020 at 4:25 AM, zen said:

Harold Larwood was rated as possibly the fastest bowler of all time in a book "The Fast Men" by David Frith (Corgi Books, 1977, p114). It quotes a recorded speed of 96mph (154.5 kph), although it is not clear how this speed was obtained.

Interestingly: 

The speeds are questionable. Shouldn’t we factor in if or when the speed gun calculation methods have changed or not.

No way Thompson was bowling 100 miles per hour to batsmen without helmets and there were hardly any fatal injuries.

I mean we see guys like Cummins,Rabada,Starc hurting batsmen with full body armor.

we have had an unfortunate High profile  cricketing death too In the modern era which was from a bowler who usually operates between 135-140 ks.

i am not saying these were trundlers but I won’t buy there were bowling even 90mph leave alone 100.

At best the fastest bowlers then were between 130-140ks max on a good day but obviously they had more leeway with the lengths they could bowl all day

3 hours ago, maniac said:

The speeds are questionable. Shouldn’t we factor in if or when the speed gun calculation methods have changed or not.

No way Thompson was bowling 100 miles per hour to batsmen without helmets and there were hardly any fatal injuries.

I mean we see guys like Cummins,Rabada,Starc hurting batsmen with full body armor.

we have had an unfortunate High profile  cricketing death too In the modern era which was from a bowler who usually operates between 135-140 ks.

i am not saying these were trundlers but I won’t buy there were bowling even 90mph leave alone 100.

At best the fastest bowlers then were between 130-140ks max on a good day but obviously they had more leeway with the lengths they could bowl all day

You don't need speed guns to say this is fast. In those days with lack of safety gears, batsmen looked more cautious of saving themselves than scoring runs.  Most batsmen were on backfoot waiting for short ball. Playing  Fullish ball was the second thought and at times they would look like tailenders getting bowled on full ball while waiting for a bouncer.  It happens now too but much less. Now usually first thought is coming on front and playing full ball. Even if they don't react quick enough to short ball, they have helmet just in case. So batsmen do get out to short ball but aren't really worried about that.  

Edited by rkt.india
19 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

You don't need speed guns to say this is fast. In those days with lack of safety gears, batsmen looked more cautious of saving themselves than scoring runs.  Most batsmen were on backfoot waiting for short ball. Playing  Fullish ball was the second thought and at times they would look like tailenders getting bowled on full ball while waiting for a bouncer.  It happens now too but much less. Now usually first thought is coming on front and playing full ball. Even if they don't react quick enough to short ball, they have helmet just in case. So batsmen do get out to short ball but aren't really worried about that.  

In such circumstances everyone feels fast. I actually Batted against an off spinner Who made it to the A side for his state in a timepass match and felt his regular darts were scarier  than some of the amateurs trying to  bowl fast. His every delivery  was coming at a good pace straight into my jewels. 

so yes being scary and cautious  and being express and taking everything out of the equation are 2 different things.

Bring back the unlimited bouncer rule again and  WI bowlers will be back in business. Even their not so regulars  like Russell can be lethal with that length and line he bowls.

Edited by maniac
1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

In all honesty, he could be bowling at 145-147 here and it would still appear 150+. Notice the bounce he is generating which gives a visual impression its very fast. One reason I feel these balls are not 150+ is because the time batsman had to weave out of it. Notice he weaves his head out at the last moment. Batsmen even these days get hit by deliveries 150+.

7 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Funny comparison. Larwood at best would be a 125-140 bowler. Do have a look at this run up and judge whether he is bowling 150 +

Yes, Larwood bowling 160 is exazeration. A 5 foot 8 bowler will have his physical limitations. Shorter man, shorter limbs, shorter muscle fibers.  He could be comparable to Shami. Both of similar stature.

On 4/10/2020 at 9:28 AM, rkt.india said:

Here is Harold Larwood. He has a very good run-up and action make no mistake. Very smooth and watchable slingy action, knee dominant side on.  Only thing that will hamper his pace is lack of hang time.

That action makes it look like he used to bowl heavy balls. Not necessarily quick, but heavy balls. But then, for those times without any safety gears, 120-130 would be terribly quick.

44 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

That action makes it look like he used to bowl heavy balls. Not necessarily quick, but heavy balls. But then, for those times without any safety gears, 120-130 would be terribly quick.

It's possible but good slingy action bowlers are few of the fastest bowlers ever, Jeff Thomson, Shoaib Akhtar, Tait, Lee, Fidel Edwards and there have been very few slingy bowlers.

17 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

It's possible but good slingy action bowlers are few of the fastest bowlers ever, Jeff Thomson, Shoaib Akhtar, Tait, Lee, Fidel Edwards and there have been very few slingy bowlers.

My point being, fitness level during those times were different. Also, these were not professionals. They used to play during season. Some of them also served in the war. So the standards of Shoaib Akhtar and all cant be compared to him.