Pick 1 greatest cricket match you ever saw

maniac

Rules:

1.Pick only 1

2.Can be from any format. please avoid IPl and other Tamasha leagues

3.Not the ones you went back and saw on YouTube 

For example: I was debating between the 1999 Aus vs SA semi final,Kolkata Test 2001 and WC 2007 T20 final but here is my Final pick

India vs Pakistan WT20 Final 2007 Johannesburg 

It will be interesting which game would be on everyone’s list.

ODIs

In terms of an edge of the seat close contest, has to be the Eng-NZ final game 

Close runner-up also a tied game - Aus vs SA SF in 99 (No super over at that time)

Edited by zen

T20s 

Most of Ind games in WT20 2007 were like highlights as Ind was not a big favorite and performed out of its skin (Yuvi 6 6s!)

Aus vs Pak SF in WI. Hussey smashing Ajmal 

But the best probably is the WI vs Eng final where WI hit those 4 6s :fear1:

Tests 

The Kol Test (never seen a comeback like that)

Close runner up - Lara’s 153* to pull off a win 

Edited by zen
14 minutes ago, zen said:

T20s 

Most of Ind games in WT20 2007 were like highlights as Ind was not a big favorite and performed out of its skin (Yuvi 6 6s!)

Aus vs Pak SF in WI. Hussey smashing Ajmal 

But the best probably is the WI vs Eng final where WI hit those 4 6s :fear1:

Tests 

The Kol Test (never seen a comeback like that)

Close runner up - Lara’s 153* to pull off a win 

If you had to take a video of 1 Cricket match on a deserted island what would it be?

I know it’s tough to pick across all formats but that’s why I added overall.

I think pretty much every game that posters including you have already mentioned are also great choices but I meant just 1 across all.

Mine would be the WT20 final game as I said even though T20I is my least favorite format if I had to order the formats 

Edited by maniac
2 minutes ago, maniac said:

If you had to take a video of 1 Cricket match on a deserted island what would it be?

I know it’s tough to pick across all formats but that’s why I added overall.

I think pretty much every game that posters including you have already mentioned are also great choices but I meant just 1 across all.

Mine would be the WT20 final game as I said even though T20I is my least favorite format if I had to order the formats 

The Kol Test as 

a) I am a test fan :dance:

b) VVS batted at a different level in that game

c) Ind won so it is like the icing on the cake 

If you look at the scoreboard the Eng-Nzl will automatically qualify as the greatest cricket game of all time.

PersonIly don’t think the Eng-Nzl match had the same intensity or quality as the Aus-SA semifinals or the Ind-Pak final in Wt20.

The 2005 Eng vs Aus series had some gun games as well 

Also despite the bitterness the Chennai test was an amazing display of cricket as well in terms of quality.

Maybe due to recency bias and wanting to avoid picking a boring choice, I choose 2017 Bengaluru test. Nerve-wracking match and considering the series situation, momentum, injuries, controversies etc. sweet victory. More than quality it was the mental battle between 2 relentless sides that made it a classic, a triumph of mind over matter. 

In that case I'd prefer test match since I can be occupied for longer period of time. 

Edited by Gollum

Tony Greig's commentary is gold too:

^ Soberisque!  If Laxman had continued to perform a such a way (in that period, he wasted many innings by throwing it away as he probably though he could do anything with the ball), he would have been among the top test batsmen of AT! 

Edited by zen
31 minutes ago, Gollum said:

In that case I'd prefer test match since I can be occupied for longer period of time. 

It’s a matter of preference isn’t it? I mean would I want to carry a long big epic, finish it and get tired of it even though it  will help me kill time or do I want a inspiring short story or a comic book that makes me laugh that I can read over and over again without being bored. 

Both can be justified  

For me, it is the Kolkata test. To this day captain's are scared to enforce the follow on after that epic comeback by India. Series on the line, history on the line(Aussies' winning streak) defeat looking certain at one point, a most astonishing turnaround amidst the electric atmosphere of Eden Gardens - all these made it one of the greatest matches of all time.