Irfan Pathan bossing Padosi phaast bowlers

maniac

1 minute ago, zen said:

:hmmmm: .... bowling yes, batting no .... If Hardik bats in the top order for e.g., he would steal the show :aha:

I liked Irfan’s strokeplay, way more classical than Pandya. 

Pandya is a great timer of the ball and a power hitter but his technique in recent times of that cross legs etc looks very Hackish . He used to be very elegant when he began though.

Just now, maniac said:

Pandya is a great timer of the ball and a power hitter but his technique in recent times of that cross legs etc looks very Hackish . He used to be very elegant when he began though.

Because Pandya is required to get going almost from ball 1, which is why he has made those adjustments/choices .... No Indian batsmen can come close to  playing with such aggression:

Just now, zen said:

Because Pandya is required to get going almost from ball 1, which is why he has made those adjustments/choices .... No Indian batsmen can come close to  playing with such aggression:

:hysterical: padosi bowlers may be overrated but they are leagues better than this bowling attack.

Anyways no doubt about Pandya’s hitting ability but I still think against quality attacks Irfan (In his prime) has a better technique both defense and attack than Hardik. Don’t forget Irfan had a very good defense and played some crucial knocks overseas in tests as well. Hardik’s defense has been a let down. He could have been crucial in some of the tests in England had he had a better defensive technique.

Just now, maniac said:

:hysterical: padosi bowlers may be overrated but they are leagues better than this bowling attack.

Anyways no doubt about Pandya’s hitting ability but I still think against quality attacks Irfan (In his prime) has a better technique both defense and attack than Hardik. Don’t forget Irfan had a very good defense and played some crucial knocks overseas in tests as well. Hardik’s defense has been a let down. He could have been crucial in some of the tests in England had he had a better defensive technique.

Pandya has done that against Pak too (CT final) :nod: .... In the history of Indian cricket, there has been no such power hitting talent. Maybe only CK Naidu from the stories that we have heard :dontknow:

Infact TM then was quite innovative ,Pathan as a batsman was growing in that period

We rarely give that much amount of opportunity to Pandya,like most of the times in useless bilaterals we get off to good start but we don't see someone like Pandya coming at 3, insecurity sets in.....

TM then used these kind of bilaterals to give as much time in the middle to yuvi,dhoni,raina,pathan as they could, eventually we got a core that won us WC 2011

1 hour ago, zen said:

:hmmmm: .... bowling yes, batting no .... If Hardik bats in the top order for e.g., he would steal the show :aha:

Irfan was legit good with the bat, stronger on the offside than the leg.  Maybe less of a power-hitter than Pandya, but a tighter technique.  

Man I'm old - I remember thinking in 2003 Aus tour, that c Patel b Pathan was going to be a scorecard read for years to come.  Imagine that Aus test series - the feeling of having found Veeru as a test opener, a 20 year old Irfan, and a baby Parthiv, whose batting potential was quality.  Additions to a team that already had Sachin, Dravid, VVS and Gangu in there.  

To this day, that test series remains one of my favorite ones, if not the favorite.

54 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Infact TM then was quite innovative ,Pathan as a batsman was growing in that period

We rarely give that much amount of opportunity to Pandya,like most of the times in useless bilaterals we get off to good start but we don't see someone like Pandya coming at 3, insecurity sets in.....

TM then used these kind of bilaterals to give as much time in the middle to yuvi,dhoni,raina,pathan as they could, eventually we got a core that won us WC 2011

I had been advocating batting Hardik Pandya at #4 or #5 for more than 15 months ahead of the ODI WC.  Giving him the experience to build innings, and bat for longer periods, instead of pigeonholing him with the high-risk low consistency job of hitting a few boundaries down the order.  

If they had done that, maybe Pandya would have batted better in that semi-final?  Who knows.  

This team management has intentionally f**ked up a lot of team building and planning.  Almost always in favor of protecting senior slots.  They don't care if they win the maximum number of games.  They are happy enough with being a "top" side.  As long as Virat and his chosen bros rack up the ODI personal landmarks and the ad money that comes with it.

5 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Irfan was legit good with the bat, stronger on the offside than the leg.  Maybe less of a power-hitter than Pandya, but a tighter technique.  

I always thought his batting style was very similar to Ganguly. That awkward footwork but great timing and placing on the off.

4 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I had been advocating batting Hardik Pandya at #4 or #5 for more than 15 months ahead of the ODI WC.  Giving him the experience to build innings, and bat for longer periods, instead of pigeonholing him with the high-risk low consistency job of hitting a few boundaries down the order.  

If they had done that, maybe Pandya would have batted better in that semi-final?  Who knows.  

This team management has intentionally f**ked up a lot of team building and planning.  Almost always in favor of protecting senior slots.  They don't care if they win the maximum number of games.  They are happy enough with being a "top" side.  As long as Virat and his chosen bros rack up the ODI personal landmarks and the ad money that comes with it.

You have a point in odis but Pandya had a legit star making opportunity in England where he could have played some sedate innings In tests where he had a lot of time on his hands. Obviously it was a collective failure and the seniors should get more blame but to be a good bat you need to have both a good attack and defense. Pandya always seems to be in the 4-5 th gear to me which is not the only thing a proper allrounder requires.

12 minutes ago, maniac said:

You have a point in odis but Pandya had a legit star making opportunity in England where he could have played some sedate innings In tests where he had a lot of time on his hands. Obviously it was a collective failure and the seniors should get more blame but to be a good bat you need to have both a good attack and defense.

He did win Ind a test in Eng 

Pandya always seems to be in the 4-5 th gear to me which is not the only thing a proper allrounder requires.

There is no such rule. Gilly is an AR too who plays at a SR of 80+  in tests. 

7 minutes ago, maniac said:

Phir se bol

p575gq1g_sachin-tendulkar-funny-reaction

I am not a hater dude. Sachin was quite flexible with his batting position in ODIs, often to the detriment of team and his individual performance. Also he didn't insist on playing every damn match, this gave more opportunities to so many youngsters. Not a fan of his attitude post 2011 WC but before that he was fine, 1-2 exceptions don't count when sample size is so huge. 

25 minutes ago, maniac said:

but Pandya had a legit star making opportunity in England where he could have played some sedate innings In tests where he had a lot of time on his hands.

You probably don't remember this because you don't like the guy, and have decided to stick to a stubborn "anti" position on him as far as the forum is concerned - but he played quite "sedately" in the T1 chase.  Was not out in the end with a sedate 30-odd.  

You keep moving the goalposts when it comes to Pandya, to justify your confirmation bias.  That's fine, all of us do that on occasion.  But don't expect it not to get called out.

1 hour ago, maniac said:

Irfan looked legit top order driving on the offside.  

Pandya plays a very decent cover-drive and straight drive when the occasion calls for it.  Its just that the modern game demands, and rewards him, much, much more for staying in a power-hitter mindset.  

Watching Pandya play a proper cover-drive and straight drive, to 'good-ish' balls, not 'hit-me' ones, is what sold me on his potential early.

Edited by sandeep