BCCI considering fielding two Indian teams simultaneously

Cricket, just like the rest of the world, may emerge in a new avatar in the post-pandemic world. But Indian cricket - the cash cow of global cricket fraternity - may adopt an innovative measure to make up for the lost time by making India’s white-ball and red-ball squads feature in an international game simultaneously.

It may sound outrageous but among the different options being considered to make up for “lost time” upon resumption of sport, is playing multiple internationals on the same day.

“None of us know when sport, especially international cricket will resume. But if we have to safeguard all our stakeholders - from sponsors to spectators - one of the options is to select two different squads and play a Test series and a T20I series simultaneously,” a Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) official told Sportstar, citing anonymity.

If the BCCI is forced to squeeze in too many games in a limited window to take care of the broadcaster’s interest, it will have to field two different squads. The fans can thus enjoy a Test match during the day followed by a T20 international under floodlights.

Sportstar understands that the BCCI hierarchy has run the possibility by the coaching staff. Some members have been working on crunching numbers to keep two competitive squads at their disposal, should the need arise.

If the alternative has to be adopted, India would be the second team after Australia to virtually play two different series simultaneously. In February 2017, a day after hosting Sri Lanka in a T20I at the Adelaide Oval (Feb 22), Australia started the four-Test series in India with the opening fixture in Pune (from Feb 23). Two different Australian squads participated in the series, something that Indian cricket - and possibly other teams as well - may be forced to in the future.

I feel this is a great idea. Even without Kohli and Bumrah, we are a good enough LOI side and would still beat most teams. And who even cares if we lose these useless bilaterals as long as we see a few new faces. 

11 hours ago, Norman said:

I feel this is a great idea. Even without Kohli and Bumrah, we are a good enough LOI side and would still beat most teams. And who even cares if we lose these useless bilaterals as long as we see a few new faces. 

What ? Until Iyer & Rahul scored some runs in NZ, our middle order was crap. We still went through a whitewash in ODIs. Rohit & Dhawan are outstanding only in ODIs while being avg in T20s.

Kohli has been integral to LOIs & Bumrah is irreplaceable. I'm not saying we can't  win without them but their absence will be certainty felt at least short term. 

10 hours ago, Clarke said:

What ? Until Iyer & Rahul scored some runs in NZ, our middle order was crap. We still went through a whitewash in ODIs. Rohit & Dhawan are outstanding only in ODIs while being avg in T20s.

Kohli has been integral to LOIs & Bumrah is irreplaceable. I'm not saying we can't  win without them but their absence will be certainty felt at least short term. 

Unless we face Australia or England, we're fine without them. That is why i said "most teams". We are scheduled to play Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka, Asia cup and England in white ball cricket according to our FTP before the all important tour of Australia. I really don't see any need for Kohli and Bumrah in those games (even against England). 

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Unless we face Australia or England, we're fine without them. That is why i said "most teams". We are scheduled to play Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka, Asia cup and England in white ball cricket according to our FTP before the all important tour of Australia. I really don't see any need for Kohli and Bumrah in those games (even against England). 

No need of Kohli but wish Bumrah plays a few more ODIs to hone his wicket taking skills. He has become a very defensive bowler in shorter formats and that is hurting the team in ICC events. Also an assignment like Asia Cup where we have KO stage will be vital experience for inexperienced guys. 

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

No need of Kohli but wish Bumrah plays a few more ODIs to hone his wicket taking skills. He has become a very defensive bowler in shorter formats and that is hurting the team in ICC events. Also an assignment like Asia Cup where we have KO stage will be vital experience for inexperienced guys. 

ODIs these days are all about limiting the run scoring. Bowlers bowl defensive line and lengths and as does Bumrah. That's why he also almost never picks more than one wicket in the powerplay. Very rarely two. That's about it. Nothing much wrong with it to be honest. It's just how the ODI game is nowadays. 

Batting wise still looks Ok. But bowling will be  bit weak. (assuming Shaw, Pant, Bhumra, Shami & Saini are in test squad) 

I think a team of 

Rohit

Dhawan

Gill

Iyer

KL

Manish/Samson

Hardik

Bishnoi

Prasidh

Chahar /Mavi/Nagarkoti

Rahul Chahar 

Should do decently. 

But the exposure it gives to youngsters is massive . KL should be made captain with Rohit mentoring him with tactics .