What is the future of Bollywood going forward?

LordPrabhzy

For the last 4/5 years this question has been playing in my mind repeatedly. As someone who has grown up watching Bollywood movies and listening to its songs since I was a kid, this is a big part of my life.

However noticing the recent trends of the route Bollywood is going down, i personally feel within the next decade the industry is doomed to fail. UNLESS it reinvents itself. Here are my main issues with Bollywood as of now:

1. Remakes and Sequels

The pointless trend of sequels has been around for the bets part of 10 years with franchises like Dabang and Housefull becoming worse by each instalment. The fact the production companies are solely relying on a films name to keep  making illogical sequels just to create make revenue. No plotlines, no connection, no emotion. The fact they take the audience for granted and the audience itself are gawaar chewts who are fuelling the fire by giving these producers revenue by going to the cinemas to watch these films.

Remaking films is not a new concept, but the rate at which film producers just rather remake a South film is shocking. Where is the freaking creativity??

2. Nepotism

I think this one needs no introduction. I am sick and tired of seeing star kid after start kid being churned out and plastered on the big screen just on the basis of dad's money. Gone are the days where we saw actors who actually are self made and a credit to the acting profession- Irfan Khan and Nawazudin. They might not be lookers but they damn well can blow Tiger and Varun Dhawan out of the water in acting skills. As of now the only way anyone can enter the film industry is;

- Sons and daughters of Bolly Celebs. Karan Johar is their godfather. 

- Female models who probably will consent to sleep with the producers.

Young talented male actors who have no connections to the industry CANNOT enter it. 

3. Song Remakes

Growing up we all had connections and memories with epic songs of the 80s and 90s and even the early 2000s. Till now we can sing these songs word for word. Kumar Sanu, Udit and Sonu along with Alka Yagnik, Kavita Krishnamurthi provided us hits that we still remember. However since ( i want to say ) 2015 onwards, the whole concept of original songs have become such an untouchable subject in Bollywood that even Dalits are feeling the competition. Since then year on year, we started off by having 1 song which was a remake in the film to now where almost every song is a remake of an old song or a punjabi song.

And the entry of Mr Tanishk Baghtatti has turned bollywood to a cesspit of remake mediocrity. Add Neha Kakkar, raps by Badshah and some nanga mujra by Noreh Fateh and bam! you have a song. Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat. There is absolutely no incentive for creative and original songs to be made. With T Series now venturing into film production and profits being their number 1 priority, they have bought out copyrights to hundreds of songs and artists of the past era by which they can keep churning out remakes of these to their heart's content without having to invest anything in originality or quality new artists.

4. Anti Hindu Propganda

Not much needs to be said here as this is the most obvious and rampant trend in Bollywood in the last decade. I guess the underworld funding by Dawood Ibrahim needs to be put to some use...

Conclusion

All in all, i have no hope left in Bollywood. I have slowly started to massively boycott most films Bollywood is coming out with these days and end up watching only a very select few anyway. Songs dont interest me anymore as I dont even have a clue what new stuff is being released, as it would probably be a remake. Atleast we have some mujra content for the next generation of Indian youth who have become social media zombies.

It would be good to get people's views to in this topic and what steps ( if any) are people taking on their part to bring about change.

6 hours ago, kosingh said:

The amount of movies that are trying to send some social message.

And the biographies/biopics.  

I pretty much can't get myself to watch. 

This is called bhedchaal. Everything becomes a formula after a point. Ayushmann khurana type movies have become a formula now.  Writers are specifically asked to write such stories. They are becoming stale now.

As if the past was better :phehe:

I'd rather watch a progressive Ayushman movie or the gully boy types that opens up the taboos of real life than the yash raj garbage like Mohabbatein, KKHH or DTPH, each of which had some shade of nepotism. 

There's more options these days, don't recall any movie in bollywood having the cinematography of Tumbbad or the sheer amount of surprises in Andhadhun.

Underworld influence ought to be lesser, many more nationalistic movies these days. Akshay Ajay & John must have a dozen films each lined up on those themes. 

I usually ignore the remixes & the films with arjun ananya sara typically. Being choosy will certainly give a better experience, with the plethora of options all around. Who'd have thought that  German & Spanish tv series would have a cult following worldwide ?

3 hours ago, Clarke said:

I'd rather watch a progressive Ayushman movie or the gully boy types that opens up the taboos of real life than the yash raj garbage like Mohabbatein, KKHH or DTPH, each of which had some shade of nepotism. 

There's more options these days, don't recall any movie in bollywood having the cinematography of Tumbbad or the sheer amount of surprises in Andhadhun.

Underworld influence ought to be lesser, many more nationalistic movies these days. Akshay Ajay & John must have a dozen films each lined up on those themes. 

I usually ignore the remixes & the films with arjun ananya sara typically. Being choosy will certainly give a better experience, with the plethora of options all around. Who'd have thought that  German & Spanish tv series would have a cult following worldwide ?

What nepotism? Film making is a personal business. They invested their own to make films, so, for sure they would cast their sons and daughters. Don't get this nepotism stuff.  It's only now last few years since corporates have jumped in film making.  Otherwise, film makers would get bankrupt if their film flopped. Why would they risk someone unknown instead of their own? Likes Big B, Ajay Devgan, Jackie Shroff, Raj Kapoor lost big money when they produced big films and those flopped. The film Mohabbatein isn't a great film but that film is what revived Amitabh Bachchan and then KBC came along. He was absolutely down with his film company ABCL giving disasters after disasters. He was under huge debt.

No film maker putting his money is wrong in casting his sons, daughters, relatives in his film because it's a personal business. Like a big Businessman's son is the heir apparent to his business. It doesn't make nepotism because it's his business. Mukesh Ambani taking business of Dhirubhai Ambani isn't nepotism.

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

What nepotism? Film making is a personal business. They invested their own to make films, so, for sure they would cast their sons and daughters. Don't get this nepotism stuff.  It's only now last few years since corporates have jumped in film making.  Otherwise, film makers would get bankrupt if their film flopped. Why would they risk someone unknown instead of their own? Likes Big B, Ajay Devgan, Jackie Shroff, Raj Kapoor lost big money when they produced big films and those flopped. The film Mohabbatein isn't a great film but that film is what revived Amitabh Bachchan and then KBC came along. He was absolutely down with his film company ABCL giving disasters after disasters. He was under huge debt.

No film maker putting his money is wrong in casting his sons, daughters, relatives in his film because it's a personal business. Like a big Businessman's son is the heir apparent to his business. It doesn't make nepotism because it's his business. Mukesh Ambani taking business of Dhirubhai Ambani isn't nepotism.

are u high or something?

This is not a fiefdom where its their god given right to launch their kids into films. Film and music is about talent and creativity.. thats what people pay money to watch. Its not our duty as the audience to endure talentless twats one after the other because the sole reason of making a film is about profits and not looking for the next big natural talent.

Using that same logic, someone like SRK would have never been launched because he was not a son of an actor and we all know what a superstar he became. Its about backing a natural talent that can give hits in Bollywood. The reason the majority of films releasing currently are disasters because film makers are not bothered about a good storyline and providing an impact to the audience. All they want to do is rinse out a formula till everyone gets sick of it.

Yes you are right that it is the producers choice to launch as it is a 'business'. Then it is my right to boycott any films  and not go watch it in the cinema which puts nepotism at its heart. eg Kalank or SOTY 2 or Baaghi. If Bollywood keeps profit as its main motive, then in the next 20 years this industry is doomed to fail. And I for one will not be sad about it.

Edited by LordPrabhzy

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

You must be a RaGa fan or a benefactor of papa/dada ka $$$. It's a common trait I have noticed in the benefactors not finding anything wrong with killing meritocracy, be it about reservations or general privilege. 

I don't know what point is there in replying to you, but everything that's legal isn't always desirable. Neither is any sort of monopoly. 

Major corporates have a board, shareholders, ministry of corporate affairs to answer to when it comes to appointing family members, besides their customers in the long run. It's a bloody competitive market, whether you produce steel or artificial intelligence. It was another story in the license raj, which is where a lot of crap had to be put up with simply because there were no alternatives, one just didn't have a chance to compete. That old rotten way of doing things does continue in some industries though and seems to have it's defenders.

4 hours ago, rkt.india said:

What nepotism? Film making is a personal business

Regressive thought lol I have some expletives in mind to call you but will refrain. To other posters items Like this rkt must be kept observed and handled with prejudice these things deserve. 

13 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

are u high or something?

This is not a fiefdom where its their god given right to launch their kids into films. Film and music is about talent and creativity.. thats what people pay money to watch. Its not our duty as the audience to endure talentless twats one after the other because the sole reason of making a film is about profits and not looking for the next big natural talent.

Using that same logic, someone like SRK would have never been launched because he was not a son of an actor and we all know what a superstar he became. Its about backing a natural talent that can give hits in Bollywood. The reason the majority of films releasing currently are disasters because film makers are not bothered about a good storyline and providing an impact to the audience. All they want to do is rinse out a formula till everyone gets sick of it.

Yes you are right that it is the producers choice to launch as it is a 'business'. Then it is my right to boycott any films  and not go watch it in the cinema which puts nepotism at its heart. eg Kalank or SOTY 2 or Baaghi. If Bollywood keeps profit as its main motive, then in the next 20 years this industry is doomed to fail. And I for one will not be sad about it.

Who is forcing you to watch their movies? I myself have watched just bollywood movie in theatre in last two years. They have every right to caste whoever they want in their films because it's their work. It's not a govt job or an Indian sports team selection. Tell me Mukesh Ambani working in his father's business is nepotism? You people don't even understand what nepotism is.

A father casting his son or daughter or his brother in his film is not nepotism.

Regarding flim making profits. Film making is a business and every business needs money to run it. If films stop making profits, how will film industry survive. Every business needs to make profits to survive.  The films who make profits work as a bridge and finance smaller films like lunchbox who don't make profits. No film will be made if they stop earning profits. No one will finance a flop business. So for them, it's pertinent that those big star films earn profits. Anyway, we still don't have enough theaters in India. They have not been able to fully utilize the potential of business due to the lack of theaters in small towns. Footfalls in theaters are still not enough keeping our population in mind.  Profits have not been enough. Bollywood need more profitable films to survive, especially the distributors who needs big star to cover up their losses they incur due to flop films. 

And for that, they create stars who bring the audience, charismatic people, not just good actors but people who can offer much more, can pull people to the theaters. This is how it works in India. Hollywood has their own Marvels, DCs doing the same, trying to woo people to theaters by their super heroes. 

Film business is much more complicated, much harder to survive in than what people think. One flop film and you struggle to get the next film. A DOP who I know because I wrote a story for him directed his first film in 2005 with big stars like John and PC hasn't been able to direct his second film in 15 years because that film bombed at BO. It's that hard to survive there. The guy has worked as DOP in many big films but couldn't direct his second film yet. 

Edited by rkt.india

12 hours ago, Clarke said:

You must be a RaGa fan or a benefactor of papa/dada ka $$$. It's a common trait I have noticed in the benefactors not finding anything wrong with killing meritocracy, be it about reservations or general privilege. 

I don't know what point is there in replying to you, but everything that's legal isn't always desirable. Neither is any sort of monopoly. 

Major corporates have a board, shareholders, ministry of corporate affairs to answer to when it comes to appointing family members, besides their customers in the long run. It's a bloody competitive market, whether you produce steel or artificial intelligence. It was another story in the license raj, which is where a lot of crap had to be put up with simply because there were no alternatives, one just didn't have a chance to compete. That old rotten way of doing things does continue in some industries though and seems to have it's defenders.

Film making isn't coporate affair. It's a personal business. A film maker putting his or taking finance for his film has every right to caste whoever he wants because it's his money and film. The caste won't pay his debt back. It's him who will have to do that. Film making isn't a govt job offer or selection of sports team. 

Term like Nepotism doesn't work in personal businesses.  Film making isn't really an organised sector where actors apply for jobs and get the roles because there is no such platform. 

Still I should tell you few of the biggest bollywood stars are not sons and daughters of stars. Even star sons and daughters aren't sure of success. If they are good, they will do well. If they aren't, they will fade away like many in the past and present. 

There are many who have done great even without connections. It's the beauty of bollywood. If you have talent, no one can stop you. Yes, it may take time because as I said bollywood isn't an organised platform. So people don't know where to go, how to find things out. 

People like SRk, Akshay Kumar they 

aren't star sons but they are biggest stars.  Every film maker or actor started from zero. Only his work made him a star.

It's absolutely illogical to expect that a film maker who has made lives of many won't launch his sons and daughters.  He can only launch them but his success or failures are up to them. They will succeed if they are good, fail if not. Bollywood is a dreamland and it cannot be compared to any other working sector or business. 

10 hours ago, Vilander said:

Regressive thought lol I have some expletives in mind to call you but will refrain. To other posters items Like this rkt must be kept observed and handled with prejudice these things deserve. 

And you think I care what you call me. You probably are the most snobby poster on this forum who start calling names and abuses at the drop of a hat. Seen enough of you on the forum. 

20 hours ago, Clarke said:

18 hours ago, Vilander said:

21 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

are u high or something?

"Nepotism" or legacy, as it's commonly known, doesn't necessarily threaten meritocracy. If a family has a long-held tradition of producing artists, their kids will probably inherit advantages that others won't, and these advantages also include passion and craft. They are MORE LIKELY to have that 'talent and creativity'. It's no different from how the son of 2 athletes is more likely to be born with the passion and ability to play sport. By a strictly merit-based argument, power and position is earned. Maybe not by the current generation, but by a previous one. That is the crucial difference between reservations and legacy. Reservations seek to empower those lacking merit, and we don't have reservations in bollywood. Your argument is often used by non-hindus to attack brahmins.

Shah rukh khan had to be identified by a 'nepotistic' group of film directors to get an opportunity. It's in their best interest to find talent, wherever it may be. When bollywood fails to promote talent, you can criticize them for nepotism. But that isn't the case. Good talent HAS to be profitable. If people aren't watching you, then are you really that good? Maybe your issue is with the indian audience, rather then bollywood itself.

I would argue that bollywood, and all of its legacy-holding families, have earned whatever fame and fortune they currently have. And bollywood has come a long way, adding variety and finesse to its content. The only area where they have struggled to make progress, is in expanding to newer markets. But that's something they can accomplish in partnership with the government.

8 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Film business is much more complicated, much harder to survive in than what people think. One flop film and you struggle to get the next film. A DOP who I know because I wrote a story for him directed his first film in 2005 with big stars like John and PC hasn't been able to direct his second film in 15 years because that film bombed at BO. It's that hard to survive there. The guy has worked as DOP in many big films but couldn't direct his second film yet. 

Completely agree with you here. It's always tough for script-writers and back-room staff. You could have the greatest story in the world, but if the audience isn't there...it doesn't mean ****.

On 5/9/2020 at 4:19 AM, Clarke said:

That's what i find funny about the 'nostalgia' crowd. Film-making has always been the same. Film-making, and all popular entertainment, follows trends. The yash raj nonsense was following a trend. Now we have these gritty, underdog type stories, or movies touching on social issues. It's all motivated by a trend, not by an honest pursuit of quality film-making.

11 hours ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

Nepotism" or legacy, as it's commonly known, doesn't necessarily threaten meritocracy. If a family has a long-held tradition of producing artists, their kids will probably inherit advantages that others won't, and these advantages also include passion and craft. They are MORE LIKELY to have that 'talent and creativity'.

lol so creativity and passion is genetic hehe 

People are still waiting for Bollywood to churn out quality movies or TV series on regular basis. And become part of India's soft culture outreach. But hasn't materialised due shallow level of talent in the industry. There is just so little talent, especially amongst female lead roles or female writers/directors.

It's a a wider problem in Hindi cinema, talent is just cr@p, despite the mocking Saas Bahu tv series gets, there are genuinely some good actors/actresses in there but again equally pathetic ones too.

Even the Indian TVs shows on Netflix and Amazon are lolworthy.

With the rise of Netflix, Prime, Hotstar. and better dubbing quality we have access to global TV quality like never before. In that sense Bollywood is low priority when deciding what to watch.

Interestingly, regional language produce, especially Marathi, is producing several gems every year.    

10 hours ago, Vilander said:

lol so creativity and passion is genetic hehe 

Its the result of a more conducive environment. Not genetic.

Which of these 2 kids are more likely to specialize in french literature?

1. kid who grows up in a french-speaking family with a long history of studying and writing french literature

2. kid who grows up in a muslim family speaking urdu near a dirt poor muslim jhopadpatti

There's no such thing as 'merit' when people are born into different circumstances.

36 minutes ago, chewy said:

People are still waiting for Bollywood to churn out quality movies or TV series on regular basis. And become part of India's soft culture outreach. But hasn't materialised due shallow level of talent in the industry. There is just so little talent, especially amongst female lead roles or female writers/directors.

It's a a wider problem in Hindi cinema, talent is just cr@p, despite the mocking Saas Bahu tv series gets, there are genuinely some good actors/actresses in there but again equally pathetic ones too.

Even the Indian TVs shows on Netflix and Amazon are lolworthy.

With the rise of Netflix, Prime, Hotstar. and better dubbing quality we have access to global TV quality like never before. In that sense Bollywood is low priority when deciding what to watch.

Interestingly, regional language produce, especially Marathi, is producing several gems every year.    

Not a single entertainment industry, anywhere in the world, 'churns out' quality movies or tv series on a regular basis. It's all commercialized, mass produced crap. Quality story-telling requires time and effort, which makes it impossible to mass-produce. You also have to account for the audience - most people prefer commercialized entertainment as a 'time pass'. The high-quality productions will always cater to a niche audience.

It's for you to decide whether you prefer western crap or indian crap. But whatever you're watching is still crap.