‘People abused me, they abused my kids,’ Aakash Chopra reveals public reaction on omitting MS Dhoni from his squad

Chopra received faced flak from fans on social media and explained how his comments section was filled with abusive and filthy language.

Aakash Chopra, the cricketer-turned analyst and commentator, has revealed the public backlash he had to face after he decided not to pick MS Dhoni in his probable India squad for the T20 World Cup later this year.

Chopra, who along with former India fast bowler Ajit Agarkar, is not optimistic of Dhoni’s return to the Indian team and picked Rishabh Pant as the team’s wicketkeeper, received faced flak from fans on social media, explaining how his comments section was filled with abusive and filthy language.

“I had to close social media for a few days. People abused me so much, it kept on coming, they abused the kids as well. I said please pardon me guys, what happened has happened,” Chopra said while speaking to Agarkar during a video chat.

Agarkar has himself remained critical of Dhoni’s return to the Indian team. The former quick feels Dhoni’s powers have been waning and even though the decision to retire is entirely his, Agarkar does not see the former India captain getting back into the Indian fold. More so because of the situation he has put himself in – having been out of radar since India’s loss to New Zealand in last year’s World Cup semifinal.

“Retiring or not retiring is MS Dhoni’s call,” Agarkar had said. “To select or to not select is selectors’ call if he fits in their plan. I don’t know, for the player who hasn’t played for a year, for me it will be difficult. Don’t know about the communication between MS Dhoni and team management or with the selectors.”

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/people-abused-me-they-abused-my-kids-aakash-chopra-reveals-public-reaction-on-omitting-ms-dhoni-from-his-squad/story-77u7kKaYDYQ5gM0DNzMiEM.html

3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Once ppl are given status of god here well questioning is basically inviting trouble. 

Thats why i always think Indian playee are most overrated not becoz or their ability but by fans to an extent that we call one of our players - GOD. 

Bingo, Indian cricket fanbases are the worst, slowly extending to other sports. Also a weakness in our faith system where every gully ka ghonchu is elevated to status of deity. Our behavior on SM is downright embarassing, so abusive and filthy when someone challenges our opinion or preconceived notion. 

On 5/23/2020 at 8:41 AM, nevada said:

Only one person can put an end to this nonsense. But almost a year after played a competitive cricket match, he continues to remain silent. Our cricketers will never learn to put team interests above self. 

There will be some players who will always be selfish, it is the job of selectors to drop non performers.

On 5/23/2020 at 10:55 AM, Gollum said:

Bingo, Indian cricket fanbases are the worst, slowly extending to other sports. Also a weakness in our faith system where every gully ka ghonchu is elevated to status of deity. Our behavior on SM is downright embarassing, so abusive and filthy when someone challenges our opinion or preconceived notion. 

In my opinion this has reduced a lot over the years. There was a time when cricketers were literally worshipped and people would ne depressed on a bi lateral odi loss

As nation progresses and employment and average income rises such behavior comes down. We are not so faantic about cricket as we were in the 80s and 90s and it's no longer associated with patriotism. Earlier teams would be scared to return home after a big tournament loss. If CT loss against pakistan had happened in the 80s or 90s players houses would be stoned for sure 

We are moving  ahead as a nation. Social media behavior will also improve with time. I believe current Bangladesh is where india were in the 90s

34 minutes ago, New guy said:

In my opinion this has reduced a lot over the years. There was a time when cricketers were literally worshipped and people would ne depressed on a bi lateral odi loss

As nation progresses and employment and average income rises such behavior comes down. We are not so faantic about cricket as we were in the 80s and 90s and it's no longer associated with patriotism. Earlier teams would be scared to return home after a big tournament loss. If CT loss against pakistan had happened in the 80s or 90s players houses would be stoned for sure 

We are moving  ahead as a nation. Social media behavior will also improve with time. I believe current Bangladesh is where india were in the 90s

Since upvote button isn't working, :thumbsup:

We mustn't take the shenanigans of BD fans too seriously, we were similar or even worse a couple of decades back. 

On 5/26/2020 at 3:31 AM, G_B_ said:

To be honest with you this Chopra is an attention seeker

Next he will be crying over youtube comments

Absolutely, in these lockdown days he, like most others, is using social media to stay relevant. Also on twitter/instagram/others, there is each kind, the abusing and the adulatory. If you are using social media to your advantage, then accept both pros & cons.