Mumbai Test, Cochin ODI Versus South Africa in 2000 Were Fixed: Delhi Police

I remember that series well. Kumble was missing during that test series and Murali karthik debuted. Klusener dropped a dolly during the odi series decider I think letting Jadeja off when the game was at a very delicate stage. In hindsight the guilt seems so obvious. I wouldn't be surprised if it came out that all teams were fixing with abandon in the 90s. 

Edited by rollingstoned
10 hours ago, New guy said:

Mumbai police even said the entire team except sachin were in on the fix 

That makes it even more questionable. :police:  protecting someone till this extent 

6 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

Didn't he attract criticism for not mentioning anything related to the fix when he released his autobiography ? 

He is afraid people in that team ll expose him

On 5/25/2020 at 2:43 PM, rollingstoned said:

Didn't he attract criticism for not mentioning anything related to the fix when he released his autobiography ? 

Yes he left it to the police and behind the  scenes stuff. This is the same reasoning the justice who withheld the ipl fixers name gave  that you dont want to stir the pot 

I personally feel hiding fixing is the worst you can do. Name and shame everyone 

On 5/24/2020 at 6:27 PM, Stan AF said:

Pardon my naivety, Is this investigation/case going on for 20 years or what?. God bless the judicial system in this country.

Avanavan setthu sunnambu aagiruppan. :facepalm:

My response is not just to you. I have seen many on this website talk down the judicial system to no end.

There needs to be some clarity here.

In most (mainly criminal) cases in the country, the courts are forced to defer dates so that the police/ investigative authorities can gather evidence. 

In this particular case, Hershelle Gibbs simply refused to tour India for the fear of arrest after this news broke out. He even refused to answer questions by Indian police who were sent to RSA on a fact finding mission. It was only when he saw the amount of $ that the IPL had to offer, that he returned to playing cricket in India. He was subsequently questioned by the cops, but by then, Cronje, the match fixer in chief, had died.

And IIRC, there were discrepancies in the statements given by Cronje and Gibbs. Even basic stuff like the amount offered for underperforming, for example.

Also, Delhi police have been accused of 'leaking' the details of the case to the media. They could have kept it mum, continued their investigation without much fanfare. Questioned the necessary South African players when they landed and gotten their hands on actionable evidence.

None of that happened. 

In a typical day in the High Court, your case is not going to see the light of the day for more than 15-20 minutes if there is no additional corroborative evidence. That is because we have a HUGE backlog of cases. Its easy to cast aspersion on an entire class of people. However, the reality is that there is not enough evidence to get to a foolproof decision. 

Edited by Mariyam

Hansie Cronje himself confessed the bookie was exasperated by him as he was not delivering on the promises for which he was getting "money for gem". There are instances of Hansie accepting the offers and bribe but not fixing matches. Even the instances he brought up during the Kings Commission confirms none of SA players agreed to his offers and hence no fixing.

Only match where there were actual claims of fixing was the Jimmy Amarnath Benefit match, on the heels of Titan Cup. Even that match, Hansie said was not a fix job. 

You have to respect Hansie for the fact he made clean breast of things unlike some so called legends of cricket, mostly from Pakistan.