Jeev makes cut at Houston Open

veer

Houston (US), April 5 (IANS) Jeev Milkha Singh strung together one of the most unusual rounds with a two-under 70 at the Shell Houston Open that ensured him a weekend berth and some useful tuning up for the Masters next week. On Friday in the second round, which was yet to be completed, Jeev had four birdies and three bogeys in his last seven as he shot 70 to move to one-under 143 and tied 47th place. There were a lot of players yet to finish the second round, but the projected cut is even par and at one-under, Jeev is ready for the last two rounds. The lead was held by Johnson Wagner of the US, who posted a 69 for a 12-under-par 132 total at the Redstone Golf Club. He was three shots clear of Matthew Goggin (71, 64) and Charley Hoffman (65, 70), who were tied for second at nine-under 135. The 2006 Asian Tour No 1., Jeev began with a birdie on first and bogeyed the fifth and then birdied the eighth for a matter-of-fact front nine in one-under. On the backstretch he had five birdies and four bogeys and not a single par. He birdied 10th and then bogeyed 11th and the started the birdie spree with four in a row from 12th to 15th at which stage Jeev was five-under and inside top-10. The he courted disaster in the form of three bogeys in a row on last three holes. “I was disappointed with the finish, but am glad that my game is shaping well. I am happy with my overall game and a bit of consistency will help,†said Jeev, who has received an invitation to the Masters next week. “For the present the focus is Houston but Masters is always there on the mind,†he added. Korean stars Charlie Wi and Choi Kyung-ju enjoyed blemish free rounds as the duo rose up the ranks to lie in a tie for 11th place. Kevin Na and Yang Yong-eun of Korea who fired a 68 and 73 respectively to lie in joint 58th spot. Wi, who won the 2006 Maybank Malaysian Open, blasted three birdies for a three-under-par 69 while compatriot Choi shot six birdies for a solid 66 at the PGA Tour event --- we are way behind in this sport.. neverthless good work..