'We'll force India out of their comfort zone' - Arthur

I am extremely proud and honoured to have reached 30 centuries, writes Jacques Kallis It was hard to believe what was happening of the first day of the Test. Wickets were falling all the time but, as always, you expect the flow to stop at some point, or at least be slowed down by a partnership. But it never happened. Test cricket very quickly teaches you to expect the unexpected, but India’s performance was a shock. I do not believe they are capable of having such a bad day again, certainly not in the third Test! We all know what they are capable of doing and, as well as we played, we know the competition will be a lot fiercer next week. I still remember December 30th, 1997, as though it was last week. It was the day I scored my first Test century at the MCG. It was the final day of the Test match and we were batting to save the game. Shane Warne was in his pomp and everybody, including the man himself, expected him to run through us. Every Test century is hard work some harder than others, of course but if anybody had told me after that day that I would score another 29, I would probably have laughed. It has been a great journey and I cannot deny that I am extremely proud and honoured to have reached 30 centuries. Building a legacy When I made my debut as a youngster, we often felt inferior as a team because we had nobody with 50+ international caps, let alone 100, and nobody averaged 40, never mind 50. We couldn’t help feeling a little bit intimidated by the records of the Indian, English and Australian teams and sometimes we were even in awe of them. Then, Gary Kirsten reached 20 Test centuries and became the first South African to play 100 Tests and, of course, we had the great Allan Donald who passed 300 wickets. Slowly, but surely, we started to create a legacy for younger players, and my 30 Test centuries is just another piece of that history. I honestly feel that it is a South African record rather than a Jacques Kallis record. It belongs to the country. But, back to the present. I see India have revised their squad for the final Test and included five spinners. I will admit there were more than a few smiles amongst us when we heard the news but nobody was surprised. We were all expecting dry, dusty pitches before we even arrived here so at least we’ll get to play on one after the featherbed in Chennai and the excellent pitch in Ahmedabad. A high-risk gamble I take no more than a passing interest in the composition of the opposing team. I leave that job to the captain and the coach. But I couldn’t help thinking that if India take a few gambles in order to try and square the series, it might mean their playing three spinners and just one full-time seamer to share the new ball with Saurav Ganguly. That would be a gamble which could backfire for three reasons: Firstly, South Africa really isn’t that bad against spin as our record over the last five or six years shows. Secondly, I believe the new ball is still the best way to take wickets and, with respect to Saurav, he isn’t a great threat. And thirdly, if the pitch is dry and uneven, then Dale Steyn, Makhaya Ntini and Morne Morkel will be just as dangerous as Anil and Harbhajan. I would much rather face a spinner on a turning wicket than somebody who bowls at 150 kilometres per hour on a surface with unpredictable bounce. http://www.hindu.com/2008/04/07/stories/2008040755251800.htm

'We'll force India out of their comfort zone' - Arthur South Africa will stick to their aggressive bowling strategy of drawing India's heavyweight batting line-up out of the comfort zone, and will take a call on a second spin option only after having a look at the Kanpur pitch on Wednesday, revealed Mickey Arthur, the team's coach. Arthur told Cricinfo that India would be committing a blunder if they prepared a pitch for the third Test that would crumble because "nobody in the world would want to face our bowlers at 150 kmph on a surface where the ball would go through the top from day four". "We have our bases covered either way," Arthur said. "If India are gambling on working on a pitch that will crack, as media reports suggest, they might be in for a shock. We could be looking at uneven bounce then on the fourth and fifth days, and fast bowlers could prove quite a handful. But we have not closed out options yet, we also have another option in the left-arm spin of Robin Peterson." Arthur, who is currently in Ahmedabad with the team, said he didn't believe that the forthcoming Indian Premier League (IPL) had distracted the Indian team. "Look, when things go badly, the media pin the blame somewhere. If things had gone well for India, this issue would not have come up at all." more...

Good on him for rubbing it in. Indian media had pretty much written off South Africa after Sehwag's blast. Saffies have shown they are not a write off and Indian media is now clutching on all sorts of reasons as excuses for the defeat. Simply put Saffies have been way better than India in this test series so far in all departments. India has had better of Saffies in one inning with the bat otherwise they have been absolutely mellowed by the Saffies.

i seriously dont understand why indians keep stressing on spinning tracks. we DON'T have spinners that cause trouble at all. Maybe there was a time when there were quality spinners that befuddled batsmen, but not now. Now we have Bhajji who bowls like a bowling machine - rarely outfoxing batsmen and Kumble who is all line and length - turn or no turn doesn't matter much. Frankly, Pakistan has better spinners (apart from pacers obviously). However Piyush Chawla looks good, and he could very well have been selected for the test - he turns the ball and is very clever at deception; also great in the field and a handy bat. While, Powar who's been picked is a big fat guy with a stock delivery that he bowls all day long - Mackenzie, Amla and company will keep knocking him around to eternity.

as far as South Africa is concerned i truly believe Indians do not want to beat them as badly as they always seem to want to beat Australia. Aussies bring out the the best and the most fight out of the Indians. I seriously think if the Indians were as hungry to defeat the S Africans, the results would have been much different. However, now that Steyn and Arthur have been poking at the egos of the Indians they may turn up at Kanpur charged up and give the Africans a torrid time. I certainly hope they do.

as far as South Africa is concerned i truly believe Indians do not want to beat them as badly as they always seem to want to beat Australia. Aussies bring out the the best and the most fight out of the Indians. I seriously think if the Indians were as hungry to defeat the S Africans' date=' the results would have been much different. However, now that Steyn and Arthur have been poking at the egos of the Indians they may turn up at Kanpur charged up and give the Africans a torrid time. I certainly hope they do.[/quote'] 100% correct, yes they didnt look really motivated ... plus I dont think seniors are comfortable with youngsters
But, back to the present. I see India have revised their squad for the final Test and included five spinners. I will admit there were more than a few smiles amongst us when we heard the news but nobody was surprised. We were all expecting dry, dusty pitches before we even arrived here so at least we’ll get to play on one after the featherbed in Chennai and the excellent pitch in Ahmedabad. I take no more than a passing interest in the composition of the opposing team. I leave that job to the captain and the coach. But I couldn’t help thinking that if India take a few gambles in order to try and square the series, it might mean their playing three spinners and just one full-time seamer to share the new ball with Saurav Ganguly. That would be a gamble which could backfire for three reasons: Firstly, South Africa really isn’t that bad against spin as our record over the last five or six years shows. Secondly, I believe the new ball is still the best way to take wickets and, with respect to Saurav, he isn’t a great threat. And thirdly, if the pitch is dry and uneven, then Dale Steyn, Makhaya Ntini and Morne Morkel will be just as dangerous as Anil and Harbhajan. I would much rather face a spinner on a turning wicket than somebody who bowls at 150 kilometres per hour on a surface with unpredictable bounce. http://www.hindu.com/2008/04/07/stories/2008040755251800.htm
I see that Kallis is almost threatening us if we prepare a dust bowl this time. Or is he speaking for the Indian batsmen? Whatever, it is clear that India's seam bowling has been a big let down in this series and if the batsmen get settled against a let than sharp pace bowling then it'll be difficult task even for the spinners to dismantle them. Secondly, if Kumble is unfit, that blunts even the spin bowling so that the Proteas batsmen can just make merry on any kind of pitch provided. Depressing period--this!!
I see that Kallis is almost threatening us if we prepare a dust bowl this time. Or is he speaking for the Indian batsmen? Whatever, it is clear that India's seam bowling has been a big let down in this series and if the batsmen get settled against a let than sharp pace bowling then it'll be difficult task even for the spinners to dismantle them. Secondly, if Kumble is unfit, that blunts even the spin bowling so that the Proteas batsmen can just make merry on any kind of pitch provided. Depressing period--this!!
Dont worry , on a turning track even chawla and Bhajji will be handful for the Afrikaans !

I'd still back a sporting wicket not with standing the result of the last test match. RP, Sree and Irfan may not have had the best game the last test match but they aren't as bad as the last couple of test matches showed them to be. I think India should play good positive cricket and back themselves to play on any kind of surface. That is what they did in Australia and were quite successful too.

I'd still back a sporting wicket not with standing the result of the last test match. RP' date=' Sree and Irfan may not have had the best game the last test match but they aren't as bad as the last couple of test matches showed them to be. I think India should play good positive cricket and back themselves to play on any kind of surface. That is what they did in Australia and were quite successful too.[/quote'] Very well said, Ravi. There is little point in notching up a devalued victory. That said, India are distinct second favs. I now hear Sreesanth has aggravated his shoulder injury. The thought of Munaf Patel in Indian colours sends shivers down my spine. The alternative, that of a spinner coming into bowl in the first hour of the first innings of the match following three overs by Ganguly, is so unpalatable that it doesn't bear thinking about. India will probably go for a fudge and open with Pathan, while selecting three spinners. I don't see Kumble sitting out this match under any circumstances.
The only way to salvage a draw in this test match is by preparing a silver nitrate cloud cover....South Africans play spin better and underrated..Smith' date='Pollock,Prince,Kallis,Amla etc[/quote'] I wouldn't be that pessimistic either. Irrespective of what Kallis says, if India win the toss on a crumbler, that's a huge advantage, given the quality of the spin attack they have. I am not so sure if the theory of "150 kph bowlers running amok on an underprepared track" holds water. The problem of course is that this strategy leaves too much to chance, as you are depending on the toss as well the conditions. On the contrary, a balanced bowling attack, such as the one SA has, depends far less on variables such as these, which are largely outside your control. Whatever happens, my reading is that India can no longer be considered the second best side side in the world, with a lopsided, underperforming and injury prone attack such as the one they have. SA have firmly usurped that spot, and depending on what happens in Australia next (southern) summer, they have a real chance of having a go at the number one spot. More power to them.

I also feel that Kallis is not given his due. He is more consistent than India's best, has a phenomenal average, and SA's rock when they are under pressure. That record of 30 tons is just an amazing one. Note how he has left Dravid in his wake over the past few years. They are both billed as similar batsmen, but Kallis' technique and temparament has stood up to scrutiny far more than Dravid's.

Smith: Best is yet to come Graeme Smith believes that South Africa can lift their game to yet another level when they meet India in the final Test. More... Smith: Best is yet to come Iqbal Khan April 09 2008 at 11:54AM Graeme Smith believes that South Africa can lift their game to yet another level when they meet India in the third and final Test, starting on Friday. Smith's team have been raising the bar ever since the summer began and have been annihilating teams with their high levels of intensity in all departments of the game. The South African captain is of the view that there will be a different approach but the intensity and focus will certainly be higher than in the second Test in Ahmedabad where they beat India by an innings and 90 runs, their biggest win against the home side. He spoke of the team's approach soon after the Proteas arrived on Wednesday night, having taken almost a whole day in travel to get to their hotel. "We are always trying to take our game in all its aspects to a higher level than we were at before," a weary Smith, said on his arrival from Ahmedabad via New Delhi and Lucknow. "It isn't always possible to raise your levels but you never want to be satisfied with where you are. "This is the biggest Test series of the season so far and it obviously augurs well for what lies ahead of us... (including) our approaching Test series in England from June and Australia at the end of the year." Smith said the hard work would start today with their first practice session in the heat of Kanpur and the first thing they expected to do was take a closer look at the Green Park wicket. There has been talk all week that the curator is preparing a "crumbling" wicket to give India the advantage. However, whatever is prepared, there's no guarantee that India, shell-shocked after their drubbing in Ahmedabad, will win the toss and have the opportunity to bowl at the South Africans when it suits them. And there's no guarantee that whatever surface is being prepared will react in the manner they would like it to. The Indians are desperate. They are crestfallen following the high they were on after their return from Australia and they are hoping for their fortunes to change. But will they? Unlikely with the way their squad has been picked for a Test they must win to remain high up on the ICC Test Championship ladder. When Smith was asked whether he expected India to crumble the way they did in the second Test, he said: "You never expect a team to crumble as India did at Ahmedabad, but at the same time you always hope that something like this will happen." Like coach Mickey Arthur, the South African captain also believes that India will make a fight of the third Test. Whether they have the capacity to fight back is another matter. The way their much-vaunted batting has collapsed against some tight quick bowling and their bowlers, with the exception of Harbhajan Singh - have failed to make any impression on the outstanding South Africa batting line-up leaves much to be desired. India needs a complete re-think in their approach, their top batsmen need to pluck up the courage to thwart the South African bowlers and they need to find a way of destroying the visitors' batting. It may just be asking too much of the Indian side, who don't even know at this stage if their leader, Anil Kumble, who has not been an inspirational skipper, will be playing or not. The latest news is that Sree Sreesanth, their best fast bowler, is unlikely to play as he has a shoulder injury. Squads India: Anil Kumble (capt), Wasim Jaffer, Virender Sehwag, Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman, Sourav Ganguly, Yuvraj Singh, Mohammad Kaif, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Harbhajan Singh, Piyush Chawla, Munaf Patel, Shantakumaran Sreesanth, Irfan Pathan, Ishant Sharma, Romesh Powar South Africa: Graeme Smith (capt), Ashwell Prince, Hashim Amla, Mark Boucher, AB de Villiers, Paul Harris, Jacques Kallis, Neil McKenzie, Morne Morkel, Makhaya Ntini, Dale Steyn, Jean-Paul Duminy, Robin Peterson, Monde Zondeki