Ganguly critical of ?domestic policy?

Mandrake

what a load of crap from Ganguly..... ________________________________________________________ NEW DELHI: After making a dream comeback to the Indian team, former skipper Sourav Ganguly feels players with vast international experience behind them should not be asked to prove themselves at the domestic level. ?I don?t think domestic cricket was the right platform to prove myself after I had played 10-11 years at the international level. International cricket is different and I have learnt how to perform there. And it is what you do in big games that matter. And that?s the case it should be for any player who has been a successful international player,? Ganguly told Headlines Today. ?Form will never be the same when you play for 11-12 and probably for 15 years. You cannot be the same, it is not possible. There will be tough and rough periods and when a player has been around for a long time, I think it is important for whoever is concerned to send back players to domestic cricket and get runs with the mindset that they hit the ball well because form is important in cricket. Asking them to prove again in domestic cricket does not help,? he added. The former skipper?s views are in sharp contrast to that of selection committee chairman Dilip Vengsarkar, who believes that international cricketers should play domestic cricket. Vengsarkar had also asked Irfan Pathan to return from the South African tour midway and play Ranji Trophy to gain back his form and confidence. Not that Pathan?s domestic return has helped much.

Re: Ganguly critical of ?domestic policy? It's true. The standard of cricket at FC level is rubbish; far lower than international level without a shadow of a doubt. Ganguly has a fair point - he was always scoring runs at FC, even when he was out of form. Remember his hundreds in the Duleep Trophy back in '05 and last season...he was never out of touch at domestic level, but continued to struggle in Test cricket. The fact that he managed to recover his form in SA was due to his sheer force of will rather than anything else.

Re: Ganguly critical of ?domestic policy?

It's true. The standard of cricket at FC level is rubbish; far lower than international level without a shadow of a doubt. Ganguly has a fair point - he was always scoring runs at FC' date=' even when he was out of form. Remember his hundreds in the Duleep Trophy back in '05 and last season...he was never out of touch at domestic level, but continued to struggle in Test cricket. The fact that he managed to recover his form in SA was due to his sheer force of will rather than anything else.[/quote'] Ganguly was Zaheer's bunny in domestic circuit. Goes to show , their was some competition atleast. The only way these guys can improve is send them to FC cricket or county cricket. Keep in mind that , this practise is followed in other sports also. In fact , even in baseball we have minor leagues , wherein players (some times big stars like Sammy Sosa) are relegated to minor league to improve their form. And Minor League standards is rubbish compared to the Majors.

Re: Ganguly critical of ?domestic policy? It is a chicken and egg thing... Domesitc cricket is rubbish because international stars don't play... international stars don't want to play because the standard is rubbish..but domestic performance can be used to get back into the groove... Though I do agree that just because someone performs at the domestic level doesn't mean they are good enough for international cricket... That is where the selectors ACTUALLY watching the players comes in... Manoj Tiwary just on domestic numbers may not be that far behind many others... but once you see him bat...you can tell his class.... I think that is what Ganguly is saying... not that it is below his dignity to play domestic cricket...etc. as some are making it out to be...

It is a chicken and egg thing... Domesitc cricket is rubbish because international stars don't play... international stars don't want to play because the standard is rubbish..but domestic performance can be used to get back into the groove... Though I do agree that just because someone performs at the domestic level doesn't mean they are good enough for international cricket... That is where the selectors ACTUALLY watching the players comes in... Manoj Tiwary just on domestic numbers may not be that far behind many others... but once you see him bat...you can tell his class.... I think that is what Ganguly is saying... not that it is below his dignity to play domestic cricket...etc. as some are making it out to be...
Then why do you feel that VVS has underachieved in test. You had earlier made this statement based on his excellent FS record .

Manoj Tiwary just on domestic numbers may not be that far behind many others... but once you see him bat...you can tell his class.... I think that is what Ganguly is saying... not that it is below his dignity to play domestic cricket...etc. as some are making it out to be...
I know he is saying that domestic cricket is good to get back in form, to regain the rhythm, to spend some time in the middle. But an international player who has proved himself on a much bigger stage, doesn't need to prove himself at the FC level and I'm sure he is saying that for Pathan. Remember how Zaheer was destroying the domestic sides in Ranji and Duleep trophy but when he was brought back for the Pak series last year, he came a cropper again and it was felt that he was not very fit, overweight and so on. So there is no point in proving yourself at domestic level after having proved yourself at the international level!