We have to mend fences: Bhupathi

veer

NEW DELHI: The Davis Cup tie is over but the discontent within the team is still simmering. Even more pressing an issue is just how the fallout will impact the chances of Mahesh Bhupathi and Leander Paes at the Beijing Olympics. “We have to mend some fences to do well at the Olympics. It made logical sense for us to play more tournaments together going into Beijing but he (Paes) is happy with his partner (Paul Hanley). End of the day I see his point of view as he has to be comfortable with the person he spends 30 weeks on tour with,†Bhupathi told DNA. “The Olympics have been at the back of mind for the last three years. We both want that medal. We are good enough to keep winning at the Asian level like this but Beijing will be tough,†said Bhupathi alluding to the need of the two pairing up for more outings on the Tour before heading for the Games. Paes however feels that as long as both of them keep doing well on the circuit, their chemistry will never go away. “We need to be physically fully fit. It’s nice to see the shape Mahesh is in now. We play at the top level of the sport and that keeps us extremely sharp. As long as both of us are in good nick our on-court magic will come back in no time,†he said. He cites his logic to stay on with Paul Hanley. “To be seeded high enough at Beijing I need to get my ranking up. Mahesh has done very well this year while my ranking has slipped. The best way to do that is to play with my regular partner. That way I will have enough points to qualify for Beijing easily. Had I done better beginning of the year, then I would have looked to make room to partner Mahesh in more events before the Games.†But surely they need to get some matches together before going into the Games. “We will work something out,†says Paes while Bhupathi when asked about how many events together would be ideal said an ambiguous, “I don’t know.†Talking about their doubles outing against the Japanese, Bhupathi brushes off the query that both did not seem to come together as well as they did in the past. “I was pleasantly surprised with how we played. See, we played as well as required and would have raised our game if the need would have been there. Playing together for the first time after so long, we still came together well.†“For me and Mahesh playing together is akin to learning how to ride a bicycle — you never forget it. We need to be in prime physical shape for Beijing, the rest of the stuff won’t matter. We have always been able to put controversy and personal differences behind us while playing for India,†Paes adds.