ICL Linked to Black Market?

Rohan495

They charge 100 and 300 Rs / per match to watch these matches. There are practically matches every day. Most of these matches were played on the same playground. Given that, there have been people who are attending these matches. On an average, there should be around 5000 to 15000 people on average attending these matches. I dont know how many actually paid to watch the match. Since I subscribed Zee sports for Ind-RSA series, I started watching these matches. I was pleasantly surprised. The quality of cricket is not that bad. The ICL World series was overdone. But all the matches were competitive and the matches were contested very well. IMO, ICL will have a long legs as they don't depend on 45 calendar. Most of the players in IPL represent their own countries and as such would have commitments with international teams. So ICL will survive. They will schedule matches during time where Indian team is not playing any matches which will provide more interests to cricket fans.

They charge 100 and 300 Rs / per match to watch these matches.
Goodness ! Did so many pay this much to watch the matches ? From the size of the crowd, I thought entry might be free or for a very small sum (as it is for Ranji). For the 50 over tournament, entry was free, as far as I know.
The ICL World series was overdone.
Even the actual tournament was overdone. The six team format was of ideal length. With 8 teams playing each other, after a week, everything became a muddle, and it was impossible to remember which team did what. I think the reason Indian teams won was because they had more stamina. In a fairer world, Badshahs and Pakistan XI should have won comfortably. But by the ICL final, the Bads looked spent and and in the World Series they were looking disinterested. Two groups of four teams each may be the better format for the next edition.

ICL is definitely not breaking even this season. But then I dont think Subhash Chandra planned it like that either. Its a very long term investment and they will reap the benefits in the third/fourth season.
Its survival may also depend on how well IPL. If IPL becomes a smash hit, despite the best efforts of Modi to screw things up, ICL may die soon. But the chances are that IPL will not live up to the extreme hype that it has created for itself and that will see ICL through.

I don't think even Chandra would have thought of making money during the first season or maybe even 3. And anyhow, ticket sales at the stadium don't really make up any significant amount of the total revenue which mainly comes from TV. I did not watch the matches much but the ad revenue must be decent.

Its survival may also depend on how well IPL. If IPL becomes a smash hit' date=' despite the best efforts of Modi to screw things up, ICL may die soon. But the chances are that IPL will not live up to the extreme hype that it has created for itself and that will see ICL through.[/quote'] It'll be interesting to see how IPL pans out. More than the cricket, I am looking forward to the next month and half to see how the public reacts to league cricket. My money is that it probably won't hit top shelf and one of the reasons is again as you alluded to for ICL also - the amount of cricket. Following 60 T20s in a span of month and a half would be too much for even the most hard core T20 fan.

ICL's biggest problem is that its a league intended for TV audience only (one TV's audience that is). This has to change. For it to survive, ICL must be watched & followed world wide. With so many obstacles in place (thanks to the BCCI & ICC), ICL's death is only a matter of time. Regardless of IPL's success, there is no room for a redundant T20 league within India.

IPL T20 league is 45 day gig which relies on current international players to participate in the league to be popular. Also the IPL leagues would like to extend the league beyond 45 days as they have made huge investment. The international boards would like all the international players to participate in the foreign tours and not play in the IPL. On the other hand, ICL does not have any restrictions which is very good for them. They also can conduct this series anytime of the year. So they have a lot of flexibility in their calendar. As long as the games are competitive and provides opportunities for youngsters who could otherwise not get to play for Indian teams, the show will go on. The longer this program goes, there will be participation from sponsors and other prominent people in the film industry who would make this program more successful.