The worst IPL team

DomainK

From what I have seen so far, I think Mallya has managed to pick the worst possible combination for T20 cricket. Batting, bowling and fielding- everything sucks. Barring Boucher, everyone else seems to be test players. How can someone like Vijay Mallya do this? This is a perfect plan for disaster. I hope they do something better....may be win a game or so. RD might get a very low bid for next season....if he gets one at all.

Honestly, I think most of them can hit out. I think they were overwhelmed by McCullum's onslaught. We'll watch the next few games to decide. I think the weakest would probably be the Rajasthan team. They don't feel very coherent and they have Kaif who made 9 from 19 balls. I was extremely disappointed that he did not even have an intention to hit out. Poor batting by them. Lets hope they do better so that no one loses a lot of money.

Yep, lets wait a few more matches before jumping to conclusions. You will under-rate guys like Dravid and Kallis at your own peril. Lets not forget, it was barely a year ago, that Dravid made an 90-odd off 60 balls against Eng in an ODI. He can certainly improvise, so can Kallis. Boucher and White are two bona fide power-hitters in their team. I wouldnt put it past the Royal Challengers to beat a few of the top teams. Besides, 20/20 is odd kinda game. Unlike test of 50/50, this isnt that much of a team game. A few overs of brilliant batting by a batsman, or an opening spell of 2 or 3 wickets by a bowler can literally seal the fate of the match. Not many teams would have chased down 223 after McCullum's onslaught and Ishant's early strikes put the match beyond BRC's reach. The team isnt as bad as it seems, am pretty sure they will win quite a few. And, their bowling isnt as bad as it looked the other day. Zaheer and Kumar are two world class bowlers, just that Brendon made them look a bit stupid. Of all batting sides so far, Madras seems quite good, mainly coz almost all their top-order batsman are power hitters, like Hayden, Dhoni, Oram etc. Raina has shown what he can do and we all know what Hussey is capable of. However, their bowling is a bit on the weaker side.

Bangalore will also have Misbah after the Pak-Ban series. Rajasthan will also have Graeme Smith, Mascrenhas, Akmal, Younis Khan, and Sohail Tanvir joining the team later on.
Is Morne Morkel also with Rajasthan? He'll boost the bowling, if he is there. Yet, remember only 4 foreign players can be included into XI and Warne already takes one place. Rajasthan still seems very weak, though I don't think Mumbai Indians are much better. They do not have a single strike bowler, with Malinga ruled out for almost entire tournament.

marirs, of all batting sides, the almighty's side seems quite good - because He is there. :D In terms of bowling, RC probably have the best of the lot when Steyn comes back - and Morkel comes back.
I havent seen Bombay yet, so cant comment :D I am still a bit confused on which team is what, coz this '4 intnl players only' is making it harder to decide team strengths. However, for 20/20, I will always favor teams that have maximum power-hitters in their top-order and genuinely quick bowlers in their attack. Most 20/20 matches are generally decided by these two classes of players.

Honestly though, I am not so sure about Sachin's potency as a 20/20 batsman. Its quite evident that his power-play has diminished markedly over the years and whenever he tries to force the pace, he invariably holds out. However, the fact that he is a genius kinda helps, so he has been able to score briskly in ODIs through placement+ Timing + nudges + lap sweeps. He is still good enough to score a 25 ball 40, or a 35 ball 60, but I wouldnt back him to get beyond that.

I think part of the reason why he's stopped playing is (apart from age) - because he's under pressure in a normal ODI/Test game. I don't quite think he plays with the freedom he used to play with.
Not just that, after his tennis-elbow, I am pretty sure his power-game has almost deserted him. When was the last time we saw Sachin clear his left-leg and slog one over mid-wicket?

Not just that' date=' after his tennis-elbow, I am pretty sure his power-game has almost deserted him. [b']When was the last time we saw Sachin clear his left-leg and slog one over mid-wicket?
I'm not sure I've seen him do that, ala Razzaq, in his career let alone recently.

Is Morne Morkel also with Rajasthan? He'll boost the bowling' date=' if he is there. Yet, remember only 4 foreign players can be included into XI and Warne already takes one place. Rajasthan still seems very weak, though I don't think Mumbai Indians are much better. They do not have a single strike bowler, with Malinga ruled out for almost entire tournament.[/quote'] yep, I missed Morne Morkel.

Mallaya was drunk when he started his team picking process.
Or it was Dravid. Apparently, he was the one running the bidding show. He managed to pick the worst possible team, atleast on paper. Who would want to have Dravid, Kallis, Jaffer and a bunch of unkown players playing for a 20-20 team? Bowlings a bit better. But ZK is not fit. He went 18 from his first over against McCullum. I have to agree with the OP. The worst possible team on paper.