T20 strategy question

swami1984

For the sake of this argument, assume you are captain, and you have 2 overs left...and the other team needs 15 runs. Say you have a good fast bowler (say Lee, Ntini type) and and a not so good medium pacer (Aggy, Jogi) who both have one over remaining. Who would you choose to bowl the second last over?? I ask this question because Laxman and Dravid were saving the better bowler for the last over...whereas Dhoni used up the good bowlers during the other overs to build up the pressure on the batting side

To answer your 1st question, it is a lottery.... i would bowl the better bowler as 15 runs off 12 balls is easy in any form of cricket with wickets left, unless the pressure gets to the batting side, which is where the better bowlers come into the equation. Both Dhoni's and Dravids choice has its pros and cons. In Dhonis case, he was trying to up the Required RR and put more pressure on the batsmen and thus hoping that batsmen would get themselves out due to mounting RR later on. But, if a batsman goes berserk later on, he has no one to depends upon. Example, the 2 games against Pak in the WC. Dravid's captaincy puts more pressure on the bowlers himself. But then, if the lesser bowlers were ineffective early on, the more pressure on the bowlers later on.

I would use up the better bowler if it's 15 runs. If you end up using a mediocre bowler he may end up losing the chance of winning in his over alone or worse he could end up giving 12 runs while the premier bowler will have only 3 runs to defend. If I have two good strike bowlers I'll back the one that is among wickets simply because a wicket at any point in time will put pressure on the one chasing. A new batsman may not be effective however good he is and may not be able to pick runs off the very first ball. This will only put pressure on the other batsman and that may induce a bit of panic in the batting team.

For the sake of this argument, assume you are captain, and you have 2 overs left...and the other team needs 15 runs. Say you have a good fast bowler (say Lee, Ntini type) and and a not so good medium pacer (Aggy, Jogi) who both have one over remaining. Who would you choose to bowl the second last over?? I ask this question because Laxman and Dravid were saving the better bowler for the last over...whereas Dhoni used up the good bowlers during the other overs to build up the pressure on the batting side
Id use the better bowler 1st, if he can bowl a good over then there is extra pressure on the batting side for the last over, so they may play more silly shots and give chances of a wicket

if bowler is aggy then
  don't bowl him
else if runs less than 15 and only 2 overs left then
  bowl the better bowler
else

Ha Ha, you missed the query for Agent Nehra :D Its also good to bring in a bowler who can bowl yorkers starting around the 12th over. Like what Pakistan did with bringing Gul towards the end in the t20 WC

I will stand by MSD' date=' use best bowlers in the initial course of the innings lest it will be too late to make the best use of the good bowlers.[/quote'] Well Laxman tried this today, and look what happened :((. BTW, I too believe in this strategy of bowling out the better bowler, to create more pressure on batsman.

Well Laxman tried this today, and look what happened :((. BTW, I too believe in this strategy of bowling out the better bowler, to create more pressure on batsman.
BTW, most of the times it pays off...now, for hard luck its no good than the worst done.