What it takes....

Guest HariSampath

Guest HariSampath

Hello All ICFrs, I had been away for a month from ICF....that is, not posting regularly, but following all the action right from that amazing 300 from Sehwag at Chepauk till today's IPL game ....we all have seen last month how Viru re-established why he is the game's best batter after Sir Donald Bradman :eyedance: Many sincere thanks to all the ICfrs who had been in touch with me by PM and by e-mail....as I had promised , I am back. ICF means a lot to me, and it is very nice to know that members here wanted me to come back to posting. ( I had been having some serious health problems , the same old ....smoking....breathing trouble etc...but now I am slightly better...and havent missed much of the cricket action on ICF...that would happen only if I am finally dead :two_thumbs_up: ) From what I have been seeing of this IPL...This is a huge success formula...will click bigtime. I would have preferred a format with just 7 league games for each side over 6 weeks or even 4 weeks,...or perhaps a 2 group league phase with 6 league games for each side in a group of 4 teams..but anyways, we have what we have got, and lets see how the sides shape up. I got the impression that batting strongly gives the game, while bowling strongly up front sets up the game. In other words, from what little evidence we have had from the half a dozen games...most games have gone by who has done better in the first 6 overs. Lets face it, this was not that big a factor last year, but now the confluence of bigger names and talents in the league has ensured that if you do well in the first 6 overs...you are likely to carry that forward for the next one Hr, meaning the first half..the difference between the team batting second chasing 200+ or 140. From whatever knowledge of cricket I have from seeing this game over several formats over last 3 decades, this is certain ; ONE man can win a T20 cricket match with 20 min of inspired brilliant cricket. Team game ?.....er ...yes...in the limited sense that in a team there are 11 players who have the opportunity to do so over 3 hrs...but what the heck can 11 men do if ONE Hussey or McCullum or Sehwag take it into their heads to hit a dozen balls into the neighboring county :omg:...or if ONE McGrath or Warne or Murali decide to bowl a 4 over spell for 3 wkts and 20 runs ??? Just look at the huge difference the first 6 means. If the Daredevils....batting first OR second get off to 60-1 in 6 overs...the other side is chasing the game ...IF the Kings 11 are reduced to 35-2 in 6 overs, its the oppononents' game....IF the Chennai Superkings get to 110-3 in 10....you are looking at 220+...just see how the first 30 min are vital to the game. Of course there would be games decided in the last 30 min of the match as we go along, but by and large , the first 6 overs ( either batting or bowling) is gonna make us see a scorecard of 65-1 or 38-2...and this way strong strikers upfront or a pair of terrific bowlers can largely decide the issue. The so called "Icons"...the Laxmans, the Gangulys , the Dravids ...will fall by the wayside along with their teams, if they dont start batting like they want to take the game into their hands. Till now at least none of these players ( including Yuvraj...but with Sehwag excepted)...havent done anything to impact games in the first 30 min. In the same breath, neither have Gilly, Symmo , RP, Zak, delivered any "first 30 min plays" for their sides...or for that matter ANY 30 min play at anytime in the game. I am strongly inclined to think that the two very serious sides here are the Daredevils and the Superkings. The Daredevils have been brilliant...McGrath, Asif, Gautam, Viru et al..and the Superkings showed that DESPITE no action from the Haydens, the Flemings , Dhonis and others, they can still coast to 240...and this is a seriously menacing problem for other teams in the IPL...what can be expected if the Haydens , Morkels and Flemings strike it rich ? The key being flexibility...EVEN whan the big names dont fire, the Rainas and Badris play around a brilliant Hussey like performance to post 240...which is menacing !! Mumbai has disappointed a bit, lets see how much Sachin can turn it around, I dont think he can do matchwinning stuff but he can do match impacting stuff still....Kolkata doing well...lets see how they continue momentum on normal T20 pitches.....Chargers have been unlucky....but still average performances....Royal Challengers, not at all fancied...still could surprise a few, and at the end of it...at this moment on the basis of team strengths and manner of playing...looks like 2 teams are meaning serious business. The Delhi Daredevils........and CHENNAI SUPERKINGS :two_thumbs_up:

Forget chennai super canes @ harisampath man.. fully concentrate on Delhi Daredevils man. because thats the future.. don't divert ur attention. let'sjust stick to Delhi Dare devils ok?? and howz pager goin? can u pager Kumble and ask him why he ain't playin for bangalore..