Who Invented Scoop Shot???

theguyinallblue

nah.. ranjit singhji invented the leg glance. IIRC Miandad invented the reverse sweep... Sachin invented the paddle sweep.. I think Douglas Murillier (spelling) invented the scoop shot..
oh man, dont remind me, he destroyed zaheer that game

Guest Hiten.
Douglas Marillier In this particular game Douggy came from no where and ruined ZK's dream spell . At one point of the game ZK had a bowling figure of 8.2-2-14-4. At the end his figures read 10-2-47-4 :giggle: Ganguly and ZK were surprised and struggling vs this newly scoop shot :hysterical:

Zim won that match
different match
His lack of consistency meant that he did not play in the triangular tournament in Australia, which also included West Indies, until the final match. He could hardly have had a more testing experience, as a fine Zimbabwe batting performance after Australia scored over 300 meant that he came in at number seven needing to score 15 in the final over, bowled by Glenn McGrath, to win the match. He moved across to the first two balls he received from McGrath and flicked them over his shoulder to fine leg for boundaries, reviving hopes of an incredible Zimbabwe victory. But he was just unable to complete the job, and his team lost by one run. His two courageous and unorthodox boundary strokes, though, made him a legend, temporarily at least, with the shot becoming known as the Marillier shot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Marillier

^^ that wasnt fun I remember that match, i was in school checking the score on cricketnext, lesson finished and there were about 2 overs to go, i walked out all happy thinking easy win checked the score again at lunch and we had lost, it really was a :(( moment

Guest HariSampath

Marillier did play it in ODIs, but I had also heard that some Saffies had tried it before.... btw @ op...Ranjitsinjhi would turn in his grave at the mere suggestion he played anything as obscene as a reverse sweep omg ! he was one of the finest orthodox players and he almost had a patent on the leg glance.

In 1993, in a local tournament in Mumbai, I saw a Muslim guy play the shot. I don't remember his name, but he used to bowl offspin and would be sent as a opener to pinch hit. He played for Mumbai. Something like Faisal. I remember the match was against MRF, who had Azhar as a guest player in that match as it was the final or semifinal. I saw him repeat the shot few time once even tipping it right over the WK who was standing upto the stumps. It was unbelievable the first time I saw it. Offcourse Marillier played it in ODI"s later and now we see everyone playing it.