Tendulkar aiming for World Cup glory

Leading India batsman Sachin Tendulkar is hoping to achieve his dream of winning an elusive World Cup crown at the tournament in the Caribbean starting later this month. The 33-year-old holds the records for most one-day runs (14,783), centuries (41) and caps (381), but the one-day game's ultimate prize is still missing from his trophy cabinet. "To be honest, to play well and win the World Cup is our long cherished dream. Not only mine, but it's the team's dream," said Tendulkar, who will play in his fifth World Cup. "No one can deny the importance of an event that comes once in four years," Tendulkar told the Mumbai Mirror tabloid on Thursday. "I have to admit that the huge stage of the World Cup motivates me to showcase my talent. "The best will play against the best. That's something which excites any player. I, too, am ready for the challenge." The March 13-April 28 event is expected to be the last shot at World Cup glory for a quartet of India's golden generation of cricketers --- Tendulkar, Saurav Ganguly, skipper Rahul Dravid and leg-spinner Anil Kumble. India, the 1983 winners and finalists at the last edition in South Africa, are in Group B with 1996 champions Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Bermuda. Vice captain Tendulkar said he was confident that the team would do well at the showpiece event. "This Indian side is giving me a very good feel. Getting the right momentum will be a crucial factor. The team which can adapt to (the) wickets quickly will go ahead in the race."

Re: Tendulkar aiming for World Cup glory Tendulkar is one player in the Indian cricket team who DESERVES a world cup winners' medal. For all the records he has set, the centuries and the countless moments of joy he provided to Indian fans; winning the coveted world cup trophy really would be a fitting tribute for a man of his stature.

Re: Tendulkar aiming for World Cup glory

Tendulkar is one player in the Indian cricket team who DESERVES a world cup winners' medal. For all the records he has set' date=' the centuries and the countless moments of joy he provided to Indian fans; winning the coveted world cup trophy really would be a fitting tribute for a man of his stature.[/quote'] and killing the aussies in their own backyard at the end of this year :hic:

Re: Tendulkar aiming for World Cup glory I say even if we fail at the final hurdle (and i am sure many of you are wondering why i wish that we finish as finalists rather than winners), i want this man to have a great outing and finally in 2011 i want him to retire with one hand holding the man of the tournament and the other holding the world cup. i fear that if win this world cup, our team will suffer some adverse side effects. for one, we might be tempted to believe that this is our very best line up and thus leaving the players of the future such as raina, nehra, balaji, pawar etc in the wings where they would inevitably decay. moreover, we might see a mass exodus of senior players as they might be tempted to leave at a high note. i know for certain tendulkar would retire within a year if we win this cup, and kumble is already on his way out. i wont be surprised if ganguly too decided to call it quits.