Thoughts about IPL as the tournament has progressed from fans, critics and players

The Outsider

I am disappointed that Rahul got booed. No matter which team Ganguly, Dravid, Laxman, and Sachin are playing for - and no matter where they are playing, I don't think they should get booed. I hope that this is just a short term reaction by the fans, and they don't hold out anything when India is playing some other foreign nation.

Cheers and Boos: I've seen a lot of matches Pakistan has played in Kolkata and never really saw the crowd cheering a Pakistani player whatever his deeds. Yesterday the full capacity crowd perhaps forgot Mod Hafeez is a Pakistani player. In the heat of the contest they forgot Hafeez’s roots and cheered him when as much as they cheer a Ganguly's six when he smoked a six over long on. I'm sure Hafeez would have been delighted by the 70,00-80,000 crowd backing him all the way. IPL has slowly started to evolve and the support for the home team seems to be what the doctor ordered to elicit competitive behaviour among players too. It’s quite a change from the inaugural game in Bangalore where the crowd didn't quite know how to react and supported every act in the field by any player with a cheer. Kolkata and Mumbai didn't warm up to Deccan Charges or Bangalore Royal Challengers. So much so that Rahul Dravid attracted boos at the time of toss. IPL organizers will be very happy with this development and will be laughing all the way. Rahul Dravid didn't mince words mentioning he is not used to being booed by the Mumbai crowd. He better get used to it now. He hasn't experienced the Kolkata crowd yet!!! Rahul Dravid tried his best at the toss to win over the Mumbai crowd by showering praises for turning up for the event and adding to the atmosphere. Unfortunately that didn’t help his team win over the Mumbai crowd’s cheers. It was absolutely reserved for the home team “Mumbai Indiansâ€. Camaraderie: It was good to see animated chatter between the likes of Laxman, Symonds, and Gilly when the lights went down. They were apparently discussing if they should accept the DL method or not if the game was called off. Gilchrist looked the most animated trying to influence the match referee with his concerns and opinions. David Hussey and Laxmi Ratan Shukla hugging and dancing was a sight to behold after they reached the target with some hard work. The feel of winning and the need to desperately win was evident from players of both Kolkata Knight Riders and Deccan charges. The grit of the Aussie players was on full show and David Hussey justified the kind of pay he netted during the players auction. Tips and tricks: It was pleasing to see Ponting run up to Ishant Sharma and offer him a couple of tips on how he should be bowling to Symonds in the death. Ishant Sharma duly agreed and bowled every ball fairly outside the off stump and eventually inducing Symonds to hole out to mid off. It is hard to believe Ponting has struck a good relation with Ishant Sharma despite having been at the receiving end few times. Ponting often ran all the way up to the bowlers and offered a tip or two from the experience he draws from his illustrious career. Commitment: No smiles or words were exchanged between the likes of Ponting and Gilly. Nor did Symonds share a smile with David Hussey. Elsewhere Hayden walked down the pitch to cart Lee for a four early in the inning. Ponting wasn't happy given out LBW by Billy and rightly so. The likes of Symonds and Hayden putting in a big dive to stop a single confirmed their loyalty to their respective teams and the hard mile they are going to stride in pursuit to justify their selections. The passion to do well hasn't faded for these Aussie players. They are as competitive in IPL as they are when playing an international game for Australia. Bad habits die hard: Surely all teams are aware of the fair play reward system IPL organizers have employed. The teams even if they don't end up winning will still earn millions if they are voted the best for displaying fair play. Unfortunately bad habits die hard for the battle hardened Aussies. Ponting was the first to show dissent after having ruled out LBW by Billy Bowden in the game between Kolkata and Deccan Chargers. Symonds was no short of fuse when the umpire Hariharan repeatedly called off cutters that pitched in line but cut a long way across the batsman as wides. Animated Symonds' debate with Hariharan was 'followed by Gilly's long chat with the same umpire at the end of the over convincing the umpire why those were not wides. Gilchrist could not give up either on appealing dramatically when the going got a bit tough. Strangely though, the umpire Billy Bowden didn't quite agree with Gilchrist this time around. Gilchrist could teach some of the Indian bowlers how to appeal successfully often. Fair Play: Chairman and Chief Operating Officer (COO) Kingfisher Airlines Vijay Mallya had announced that under the "Fly Kingfisher Fair Play Award", umpires will award teams, points for fair play, respect for the laws of the game and respect to the opponents. Mallya had said, "Award will be given to the team that accumulates maximum points. The umpires will rate the overall conduct of each team and adherence to the rules of the game. In this sense, it is unique as we wanted the adjudicators of the game to participate; wanted to separate it from the Man of the Match clutter." While Kolkata Knight Riders will have lost few points for showing dissent, Deccan Chargers were not at gain either thanks to Symonds' argument with the umpire on the calls of wides. New Zealand cricketer Scott Styris though may win his team maximum points for “respect to the opponents†category. Scott Styris made a friendly gesture and spoke kind words to an aggressive Laxmi Ratan Shukla after LR Shukla ran into Styris while trying to pick up a single and on the way ensuring Styris does not get to the ball to run David Hussey out. Shukla looked still charged up while Scott Styris dowsed any untoward incident by offering couple of good friendly words to LR Shukla. Man with the orange hat : If you need to know who is the batsman that has scored the most runs in the tourney, look for the one wearing the Orange hat. It's a fantastic idea whomever came up with it. McCullum was the one wearing today as he is the leading run scorer and he stood out from the pack. This is very innovative and something of this sort can be embraced by the ICC too to show honour for the top batsman and top bowler in the world. It's like driving a Ferrari while the rest ride their Hondas and Toyotas. Surely it should feel great to be recognized for a feat like this.
good round up

And why are the other programmes not shown? For example yesterday SRK and his team were to give a little programme (dance maybe) during the innings break. But it was not shown. Same at the Mumbai too. And the Max anchors are terrible. No cricket insight. Why don't they keep showing us whatever is happening on the ground instead of blabbering rubbish? Then there is no communication whatsoever. Jadeja said that they'd be back after an innings break but there was no break; The 'six' package to be shown, but the misfields are shown; the wickets to be shown but instead the scoring boundaries are shown!! I hate this kind of unprofessional display!!

Good round up for the first three days. Can we put this on the front page? Not many forums are discussing IPL exclusively and these kind of round-ups on this event will make our site unique and different from others. I didn't like crowd booing Dravid. In fact a very small fraction of crowd did so. So let us hope it is not repeated. I'm just enjoying cricket in this event and not rooting for any team whatsoever. And I liked the idea of orange cap too. I think they should come up with some kind of prize for bowlers too.

Good round up for the first three days. Can we put this on the front page? Not many forums are discussing IPL exclusively and these kind of round-ups on this event will make our site unique and different from others. I didn't like crowd booing Dravid. In fact a very small fraction of crowd did so. So let us hope it is not repeated. I'm just enjoying cricket in this event and not rooting for any team whatsoever. And I liked the idea of orange cap too. I think they should come up with some kind of prize for bowlers too.
It is already on the front page Chandan.

Very refreshing round up Ravi. I hate to admit it but I love IPL! I'm a convert. I'm going to buy a Knightrider Jersey soon :-D Only thing to see now is whether IPL's novelty wears off and people get tired of it. If it's a success, then they should introduce teams from smaller towns next year too.

a team with combination of UP+Bihar+Jharkhand another with a combination of Sikkim+Asam+Nagaland+Arunachal+Rest of the north-east States.. ( this team will have very loyal..life long members..) but again i guess 8 is an optimum number...more than that will be overkill.. may be we can devide this IPL into premier and plate league..

a team with combination of UP+Bihar+Jharkhand another with a combination of Sikkim+Asam+Nagaland+Arunachal+Rest of the north-east States.. ( this team will have very loyal..life long members..) but again i guess 8 is an optimum number...more than that will be overkill.. may be we can devide this IPL into premier and plate league..
Nah, i would like to see separate teams not combines ones. Obviously I'd like to see a Lucknow team but I doubt our stadium is upto international standard although a new one has opened but nobody knows anything about it. Kanpur was one of the cities available when the team bidding was going on, but then Sahara were disqualified. Im pretty sure cities like Kanpur and Ahmadebad will be there in 2-3 years.

that will be the BEST goddam thing to happen, and if IPL does that, I'll be a BCCI supporter :omg: That part of our country has been treated way too shabbily, and I want them to get their glory. :two_thumbs_up: