Thoughts about IPL as the tournament has progressed from fans, critics and players

The Outsider

this is just getting too boring. i am off from ipl after todays match of delhi daredevils v deccan chargers. and i had lot of interest in ipl earlier, but after the 1st few matches, i have happened to lose all the interest i had. bring back the <150 scores. also, the ipl will be too long & boring for 44 days. it has taken me just 4 days to lose the interest also, yuvraj & kaif who have been 2 of the best fielders for india, r dropping sitters in ipl. the fielding standards have decreased immensely. this is not even intereating at all

Boring ? You gotto be kidding. We are lucky to see so much talent on show, in a single platform. Almost all of the matches have been of high quality so far. To know more bout that, one must have seen the 20/20 match between Pakistan and B'desh. I am pretty sure the level of competition and quality of the matches in IPL will dwarf that of the match between those two cricket nations. The only other time when so much quality performs under the single banner is the world cup and even that has its fair share of meaningless matches, due to the presence of minnows. IPL will rarely have such no-contests, given that the talent is so well distributed. We have already seen that the 'test team' from B'lore defeat the high-profile Mumbai team, while the 'second-rung' team from Rajasthan beat the star-studded team from Punjab. Besides, IPL is not just about cricket. It also signifies, in its own minute way, the arrival of India as a true world power. Apart from the fact that it spends $500 bn a year of defence, another important reason why America is the world's only behemoth is the face that it has been able to successfully project its soft-power. Coke the world's most popular brand, while Hollywood movies are most watched. And now, the same is happening with India too. From the times when people of the West mocking referred to us as the land of elephants and snake-charmers, they are now beginning to see us with a sense of awe. Brett Lee misses no chances to make clear how he 'loves the Indian culture' while Shoaib Akhtar proudly proclaims in an interview of how the proof of his importance is the fact that both IPL and ICL have given him contracts. To be more precise, people of other countries find pride from their association with our country. Australia's fox says 'The opening match in Bangalore was preceded by a spectacle choreographed by the flamboyant liquor and airline baron Vijay Mallya that would have given many Olympic opening ceremonies a run for their money', while IPL dominates the sports pages of the BBC's sports website. And ironically, American cheerleaders dot the matches. This is almost reverse-outsourcing, at its best. We are now the centre of the world's attention and I am loving it!:two_thumbs_up:

I was pretty much pooh pooh-ing this tourney before it began but it's turning out to be a great one. Whether the novelty of such a league will wear off with me and the crowds will be evident over the course of the month.
Same here. I won't use the word "great" but it is certainly better than I expected it to be.

IPL and the jealousy it created I am dumb founded by some comments coming from these so called experts regarding IPL, Why is everyone from australia nz and england worried about the impact on world cricket.It is not the state of the game which worries them it is amount of money which is being generated and they are worried because they are not getting any share of it. Earlier NZ cricket chief wanted some share from IPL given to NZ cricket board , I ask why it has to be given to NZ cricket board, let us examine this further by taking football and county cricket as some examples, how many west indies players in past played more for county cricket than anyone else.Did anyone complain then that england is squeezing west indies from their talent and asked for compensation from those counties which employed their cricketers. Are the South american football nations getting any share of money from all those european clubs which are employing their talent, why this double standard to IPL now reason is ICC still wants traditional powers mainly white nations to hold the most important roles and these traditional powers cant stand the financial success of IPL. Its free world let the talent be paid according to the bidder and let us not growl about it and hope we discover more talent to serve cricketing world.When whole money is generated by Indian money why should it be given to other countries.

but they loved ICL for sure :icflove:
yaa cauz many pakis were playing. here they blame ipl for forcing Aussies to quit pak tour and play rather in India and earn money. they think IPL is the one which messed up the situation of Aus not touring to pak. which is bull crap..

my friends in Australia saw first couple of games but they say that they don't have enough interest to stay up all night to watch Kolkata Vs Delhi .. I also somewhat agree I don't think Aussie board wanted a share out of IPL's profit and they did mention that when players were kinda cross with the board. One of official said something like "players should realize that we are trying to help , we have no financial interest in IPL since we are not getting anything". I think it would have been more fun for people from other countries if they had they more clubs from Aus , Nz , eng etc.

It is not the state of the game which worries them it is amount of money which is being generated and they are worried because they are not getting any share of it.
Yes, in the same way we don't complain if an unsuccessful bowler is a chucker, but raise our voice the moment he starts taking wickets. Patrick Kidd has written an article on Times yesterday - http://timesonline.typepad.com/line_and_length/2008/04/my-view-of-twen.html - analysing this issue.
Earlier NZ cricket chief wanted some share from IPL given to NZ cricket board , I ask why it has to be given to NZ cricket board,
NZ has reason to be pissed off because they banned their only good bowler, and hastened the exits of a few others, to please BCCI. In the end, BCCI got the billions and NZ ended up with a worse team and without a penny.
how many west indies players in past played more for county cricket than anyone else.Did anyone complain then that england is squeezing west indies from their talent and asked for compensation from those counties which employed their cricketers.
I don't know whether you are arguing for the sake of it. Several generations of West Indian cricketers benefited hugely from playing in the English leagues and the county cricket. Not only did they help the West Indian cricketers who are usually not well off financially, it hastened the development of several cricketers like Richards and Greenidge. Also remember that you are talking about a world where there was little cricket between April and October, outside England.

What gets to me is the English/Australian writers tempering their views of IPL by adding a stat on people below the poverty line in India. For most of the critics, it's more a case of 'how the eff did these guys even dream of implementing such a tournament' than anything else.

yaa cauz many pakis were playing. here they blame ipl for forcing Aussies to quit pak tour and play rather in India and earn money. they think IPL is the one which messed up the situation of Aus not touring to pak. which is bull crap..
they may have point there (from their point of view) but I fail to understand how they ENJOYED every min of ICL but think IPL doesn't have anything to offer to anyone and in fact its killing the sport. I would respect that point of view if they had said same thing about ICL.

ICL too had it's share of errors. i mean, ppl keep barking about IPL copying ICL.. i mean it's a freaking business.. in business the word "copy" is nothing. regarding IPL completely trying to put down the ICL folkz.. well if u see the ICL contract.. it has lot of restrictions.. see the ipl contract.. it term INternational cricket as the first priority.. hence aussie players and windies players are allowed to leave the tourney in middle.. what about the Yousuf fiasco??? he had signed the contract at first or was about to sign the ICL contract.. why did he back off later?? ICL was very demanding..