Irfan Pathan Appreciation Thread

THX_1138

so not only is he leading the records tables with the most number of wickets, he has been the most economical bowler with the exception of the perenial wizard: McGrath. and add to that his periodic contributions with the bat... maybe pathan (and possibly yusuf pathan who has gone from strength to strength in each game) deserve a persistent stint in the indian ODI and T20 squads...

so not only is he leading the records tables with the most number of wickets, he has been the most economical bowler with the exception of the perenial wizard: McGrath. and add to that his periodic contributions with the bat... maybe pathan (and possibly yusuf pathan who has gone from strength to strength in each game) deserve a persistent stint in the indian ODI and T20 squads...
Irfan has been a permanent fixture in both the ODI and T20 teams since he made his comeback in the Twenty20 World Cup.

he has increased his pace which has been the major improvement..and as he had said one day he can get the swing back anytime but his pace was his major concen..so now he has got back to his original speeds i hope he gets the swing back also..man jus imagine pathan bowling like the way he did against the pakis in 2004..that wud be awesome..go irfan :yay::dance:

Good on Irfan, he has proved his worth as a bowler who can give you excellent control in ODI and T20 cricket. But the real plaudits will come if he delivers in test cricket also. His wicket-taking feats in T20 isnt going to win him any awed admirers.

Good on Irfan, he has proved his worth as a bowler who can give you excellent control in ODI and T20 cricket. But the real plaudits will come if he delivers in test cricket also. His wicket-taking feats in T20 isnt going to win him any awed admirers.
Irfan Pathan will struggle bowling in Tests (except some rare helpful conditions then he'll do alright) Yuvraj Singh will struggle batting in Tests (except on patta patta) But for ODIs and 2020, sure they bring good fielding and decent allround skills

WE ARE THE bhais The Pathan siblings have been a revelation in the IPL. Ajay Naidu finds they revel in each other’s success too INDEED sometimes life does imitate a fairytale. About ten summers back, the two Pathan siblings, Irfan and Yusuf—-had dreams in their eyes and fire in their belly as they honed their cricketing skills playing together in the lanes near a mosque that was home to their family in Baroda. However, today the two brothers have indeed come a long way from their humble beginning. Both gain strength from each other and are extremely supportive, and proud, of each other. They realised a childhood dream too when they played together in the Twenty20 World Cup final in South Africa in October last. The hard work has ensured that the Pathans are courting success in a big way. And they continue to live their dream joyously making their presence felt on the big stage of the Indian Premier League too where the collective value of the Pathans is pegged at 5.6 crores. Yet, more than the green bags, it’s their attractive cricket that has caught the imagination of the fans. While the 23-year old Irfan has played an important role in Team Mohali’s five-match winning streak, his elder brother, the 25-year old Yusuf, has made the world sit up and take notice of his latent talent with his blazing knocks and handy off-spin in Team Jaipur’s winning run. No wonder their respective teams occupy the top two positions in the points table. Irfan is also the leading wicket-taker with Zaheer Khan—-with 12 wickets to his credit while Yusuf has the distinction of hitting the fastest fifty in the tournament—off just 20 balls with five towering sixes and two fours. “Yusuf is a much better cricketer than me. And I say this with great honesty and conviction,’’ Irfan told TOI. “I just got lucky to get a break (in international cricket) much ahead of him. He is a smart bowler, an aggressive batsman and a good athletic fielder in any position. He is mentally strong and can single-handedly turn the game on its head.’’ Reflecting on the growing up years, Irfan says, “when we were growing up playing ‘gully cricket’ we both used to dream about playing for the country some day. I had to bowl to Yusuf for hours because he would never get out. Since a very young age he has been an inspiration for me and his words of wisdom helped me get better as a cricketer. When we both played together in the T20 World Cup final, we realised a childhood dream. Irfan’s adulation for the elder brother is unabashed. “I learnt hitting big sixes from him. He advised me to change my grip, use my feet and lift the ball cleanly with good power and timing. He has a big role in my success.’’ Yusuf is equally effusive in praising Irfan’s contribution in his success. “Irfan has also been very passionate about the game. He never misses a practice session. He always comes up with useful tips for me. And I try and follow what he says. I may be elder to him, but the fact is, he has been playing and performing at the highest level for the last five years and has a first-hand experience of how to deal with things. I have always admired his mental toughness and his never-say-die attitude.’’ On Team Jaipur’s success, Yusuf cannot stop raving about his captain, Shane Warne. “He is a great teacher. He has absolutely no airs and is always going out of his way to help and share the tricks of the trade. He is not only our captain and coach but he is also our friend and guide, which is why he has been successful in getting the best out of every single player. They say a good captain should be two overs ahead of the game and Warne is just that. He is always thinking, outrageously positive and thrives under pressure. He is indeed the team’s pride and joy.’’ On his part, Irfan credits Team Mohali’s success to team effort. “We are jelling well and have clicked as a unit. We are doing the right things at the right time both with the bat and the ball.’’ Finally when quizzed about his strong desire to break into the national squad, Yusuf is downright practical. “My job is to keep working hard and perform. The rest is up to the selectors. “I have faith in destiny but I also believe that one can make his own destiny as long as you are ready to do the hard yards and fully dedicated to the game.’’ TNN Source : TOI

Awesome article. Thanks for that! I hope Yusuf gets a chance in the ODI team in the near future. Looks to be an awesome batsman - a bit like Sehwag (unpredictable) but we haven't seen much of him on the international stage.