Prudent franchises reaping dividends

bobbydhillon

JAIPUR: After the IPL auctions earlier this year, Rahul Dravid had wished that players were never 'sold' again. Strangely enough, before the next edition of the IPL, he himself could be put up for sale. When the trading window opens in February next year, icon players like Dravid and Sourav Ganguly could well find themselves on the transfer list. According to sources, some of the franchisees are unhappy with the performance of their icon players and are even exploring avenues to 'sell' them off. IPL commissioner Lalit Modi informed TOI that although the icon players had been given special status, the franchises would be permitted to trade their 'non-performing assets'. According to BCCI sources, some of the franchisees have indicated that they be allowed to trade below-par performers for those the owners feel might be quality replacements. But Modi made it clear on Wednesday that "if the franchisees want to dispose off the icon players or the underperformers in the team, the owners will have to pay off the three-year contract money to them". Or else, they can be traded to some other teams when the IPL trading window opens next February. "This format is quite unpredictable. The top team in the first seven matches may not be the same when the league finishes. But if some franchisee wants new players and wants to dispose off their icon, they will have to pay the three-year contract money. If some other teams are willing to buy them, then those players' salaries will have to be paid by the new owners. In fact, the trading window opens next year in February," Modi said. "The IPL rule is fixed for next three years. There will be eight foreign players in the team out of which four can be inducted in the playing XI. On top of this, if the franchisees want to sign up new players, they are welcome to do so. But in that case, you will have to pay that player's salary. But the rule to have eight of them in the team and four on the field will remain," Modi said. There are some franchisees like team Mohali and Delhi Daredevils, though, who are quite happy with their icons Yuvraj Singh and Virender Sehwag.

Guest HariSampath

The franchisees better not complain. In the original deal, they agreed to pay the Icons the million dollar deal per year. But what beats me is why whould ANYONE want to pay $ 1 millions for Dravid or Ganguly's T20 skills in the year 2011 ?? How can such rules and deals be frozen for 3 years in such a short format of the game , especially when these players are already not part of the ODI team , and are likely to be dropped / retired from cricket in a year. This reinforces my conviction that the Gangulys, Dravids, Kumbles etc just strong armed the BCCI into ensuring their sale for preposterous amounts, and have laughed all the way to the bank. Next year, if there is a free matket situation, these players wont go for even $ 10,000, and most probably be ignored totally. But there is no free market for them.

The franchisees better not complain. In the original deal, they agreed to pay the Icons the million dollar deal per year. But what beats me is why whould ANYONE want to pay $ 1 millions for Dravid or Ganguly's T20 skills in the year 2011 ?? How can such rules and deals be frozen for 3 years in such a short format of the game , especially when these players are already not part of the ODI team , and are likely to be dropped / retired from cricket in a year. This reinforces my conviction that the Gangulys, Dravids, Kumbles etc just strong armed the BCCI into ensuring their sale for preposterous amounts, and have laughed all the way to the bank. Next year, if there is a free matket situation, these players wont go for even $ 10,000, and most probably be ignored totally. But there is no free market for them.
For me, what's crazy is Dravid's statement "I'm beginning to learn T20"?!? Dude you don't get paid over $1 million just so that you can BEGIN to learn the T20 game...if you knew you were gonna suck at the format initially (due to this so-called learning curve) then you could have saved yourself the embarrassment (like VVS) and rejected the icon status... See I'm no Rohan, but yes I'm beginning to see why VVS is so awesome. Besides, I met him in person (since he went to our school and had come back to visit) and he's really a gentleman as all other cricketers put it.

Prudent franchises reaping dividends Franchises of teams like Bangalore and Hyderabad, which spend a lot of money on players, are not fairing well in compared to the relatively lightweights like Jaipur and Mohali. Subhash Rajta examines... See graph. More... Prudent franchises reaping dividends Subhash Rajta , Hindustan Times Chennai, May 09, 2008 First Published: 00:55 IST(9/5/2008) Last Updated: 01:21 IST(9/5/2008) If money could fix results, the teams's standing at the half-way mark of the IPL should have been the opposite of what it is. The supposed heavyweights ‘Mumbai, Bangalore and Hyderabad, bought for whopping $111.9 million, $111.6 million and $107 million respectively’ should have been in the top half instead of languishing among the bottom four. By that logic, the relatively lightweights, Mohali ($76 million) and Delhi ($84 million), and Jaipur ($67 million), should have been fighting for survival. But that’s not how it is. The least expensive teams are perched at the top and it’s the heavyweights that are vying with each other in the fight to avoid being at rock bottom. See the graph. The situation they are in has a lot do with how their potential match-winners, on whom the franchise spent big money, have fared so far. Being thrifty pays The Jaipur story is the most interesting. They refrained from spending huge amounts on any individual, so much so that at one stage they were facing the prospect of incurring a penalty for not spending the required $5 million on buying players. They spent the maximum on Mohammed Kaif ($675000) and snared up a champion like Shane Warne for just $450,000. In what would arguably be the best buy of the league, they bought Shane Watson for mere $125,000 and Pakistan left-arm seamer Sohail Tanvir for just $100,000. Mohali, too, seemed to have got it right. They shelled out the maximum amount to book Irfan Pathan and Brett Lee after their icon player and skipper Yuvraj Singh. Though Lee left after playing four matches, Pathan is giving them value for money, leading the wicket takers's chart. Delhi are another team who seem to have spent their money well. Virender Sehwag, the icon, and Gautam Gambhir, their most expensive players, are among the top run getters and have been giving them a flying start. But their best buy would be Glenn McGrath (he was picked up from the reserve pool after no one bid for him). McGrath has proved his weight with his superb showings. Money for nothing? When it comes to money not well spent, Mumbai top the list what with Sachin Tendulkar, their icon player, not taking the field so far owing to injury; Sanath Jayasuriya not living up to expectations and Harbhajan Singh making a disgraceful exit. As for Kolkata, their big buy Chris Gayle hasn't played owing to injury and Brandon McCullum left too early to make a lasting impression. As for their biggest buy, Ishant Sharma ($ 9,50,000), the sum was perhaps too big for the youngster to justify. Bangalore too are struggling. Jacques Kallis, their biggest buy ($900,000) after icon Rahul Dravid, has been disappointing and Dravid too has proved to be ineffective. The Hyderabad mystery Amid all this, Hyderabad present a strange picture. They spent a packet on Andrew Symonds, Gilchrist, RP Singh and Rohit Sharma and all of them have performed well. Yet, they are struggling at the bottom, something quite inexplicable.

For me, what's crazy is Dravid's statement "I'm beginning to learn T20"?!? Dude you don't get paid over $1 million just so that you can BEGIN to learn the T20 game...if you knew you were gonna suck at the format initially (due to this so-called learning curve) then you could have saved yourself the embarrassment (like VVS) and rejected the icon status... See I'm no Rohan, but yes I'm beginning to see why VVS is so awesome. Besides, I met him in person (since he went to our school and had come back to visit) and he's really a gentleman as all other cricketers put it.
lol, dude i was invited to his marriage i could have been kicking it with all the cricket players.My dad is very close to VVS. You guys misinterpret me. People love Sachin, People love ganguly, People love dravid. The same way i feel about VVS not only for his stylish and sublime batting but for the person he is, i know i may praise him a little too much sometimes, but hes a great person and the most humble sportsman you will ever meet. If you ever knew Laxman you would realize that he is not all about money like these stupid cricketers in india, hes all about performance. People got blind love in India thats all i gotta say. They still complain and biitch about his perfomance in the IPL, in all honesty whats wrong with his performance?, why are people biitching about it. Look at the players making millions, mad shameful. This is a test cricketer whose been out of the limited over scheme of things for years now but yet he is sublime i dont know about you guys but i feel like VVS has been more than a capable 2020 player and hes only going to get better.

Why Laxman is never a star: -------------------------- He looks lazy. He never plays for crowd He never looks aggreesive. He never a Ad endorsement for himself. He dont earn much. His own city/state never supports him (as Dada gets from Calcutta) And unfortunately thats what people in India judge crickters by, you guys all know it.

VVS Rocks. Sachin owns. Dravid is a legend. and Dada is a prince. And all you fickle minded members one here support sh!t players that can hit the ball hard, forgetting everything these great cricketers have done for the Indian team, and are continuing to do for the nation and sides. Dravid is batting WELL. Under circumstances of his team and other pressures around him, an average of 23 ish is GREAT. Did any of you loser Dravid haters watch that innings? VVS has been good and I don't know why anyone is complaining. An average of 32 and a strike rate of 120 is awesome especially for someone who isn't a slogger. His captaincy has been decent as well, so just shove it. Ganguly has batted on crap pitches and/or been done by some good bowling. His captaincy makes him worth it, and his bowling has come good as well. So to everyone: :finger:

Oh well, it isn't just the icon players who are not giving richly back to the franchises who've got them for over million dollars for their teams. There are many other expensive players who've didsappointed their owners no ends, for example Harbhajan, who was banned after just three matches, Jayasurya whose price is nearly a million but hasn't delivered anything substantial as yet, Robin Uthappa who has underperformed for the price which were dished out for him. You can take a look yourself at such players: prudent.jpg Secondly a line for Hari: Why is it irking you so much that Sachin has not played a match despite being an icon player or Dravid has not delivered as an icon player should have? They are not your employees, nor are YOU paying for them. Ambani and Mallya are paying for them and if they think that they're not worth it, they'll fire them--simple! It is they who hired them for millions and it is they who can fire them whenever they want. You don't have to go in an overdrive criticising the icon players for their million dollar contracts.

About firing: All the players have a 3-year contract. If a franchise wants to fire, they have to pay the entire 3 years. A franchise can trade players with other franchise provided the other franchise is going to absorb the player and compensate for the payment.

Guest HariSampath
Seconly a line for Hari: Why is it irking you so much that Sachin has not played a match despite being an icon player or Dravid has not delivered as an icon player should have? They are not your employees, nor are YOU paying for them. Ambani and Mallya are paying for them and if they think that they're not worth it, they'll fire them--simple! It is they who hired them for millions and it is they who can fire them whenever they want. You don't have to go in an overdrive criticising the icon playersfor their million dollar contract.
Why do you criticise cricketers at all....how many players are employed by you to play for India ? I never knew criticism needs to have an eligibility factor like "employing " the players.... Ambani, Mallaya and other franchisees DID NOT pay these icons by choice for your kind information. The "icons" were fixed by the BCCI ( where these same icons have an iron fist of clout) who then TOLD the franchises that they "have to pay the icons 15% more than the next highest player"....and these ICONS then decided themselves who taht "next highest player was and how much they will bid for them"...in short the Icons fixed their own prices with help from the BCCI; franchises had NO choice. And your take on the right to criticising is solely restricted to to those who "pay" is childish, to say the least....incidentally do you know that I dont own stock in United breweries or Reliance for that matter?? maybe I do :giggle:

Guest HariSampath
About firing: All the players have a 3-year contract. If a franchise wants to fire, they have to pay the entire 3 years. A franchise can trade players with other franchise provided the other franchise is going to absorb the player and compensate for the payment.
Exactly...that is how Dravid, Ganguly and Sachin were ENSURED of $ 3.5 millions even before a ball was bowled in the IPL....and naturally Dravid and Ganguly wont say no, after all they got it fixed that way. Look at the amounts of money the "senior " players have guaranteed themselves through the BCCI. Dravid : 3.3 millions Ganguly : 3 .5 millions Kumble : 1.5 millions and many many others...the franchisees were sold this deal, and the seniors planned it this way because NO WAY will Dravid or Ganguly or Kumble be able to get those millions if the franchisees were given a choice..and the franchisees just signed it as part of the total cost of the franchise. Its like selling a Lemon car for $100,000 , and saying it may not run at all, but you still have to pay...its your baby and you maintain it at those costs whether you like it or not....if you want a drivers licence you GOT TO buy this lemon at the price we fix. And then if you want to cut your losses and sell the car at $ 50,000...well you cant...you HAVE to sell it for the same price you bought it for..and if there are no takers...tough luck, its a bad world.

Why do you criticise cricketers at all....how many players are employed by you to play for India ? I never knew criticism needs to have an eligibility factor like "employing " the players....
Exactly! Why would you criticise a player? You are just a spectator and you can just express whether you liked his game or not. If you liked it, why or if you didn't like it then why. You are not concerned with whatever he is earning. How many times have you sympathised with a FC bowler who gets injured bowling for his state and goes income less for years? How many times have you come up with your ideas about how to help them? If you are not concerned with their lack of income, you have NO RIGHT to be critical of how much they earn! You can criticise a player's performance but you are absolutely no one to say whether is certain player is right for such and such amount of contract which is paid by his employer.
Ambani, Mallaya and other franchisees DID NOT pay these icons by choice for your kind information. The "icons" were fixed by the BCCI ( where these same icons have an iron fist of clout) who then TOLD the franchises that they "have to pay the icons 15% more than the next highest player"....and these ICONS then decided themselves who taht "next highest player was and how much they will bid for them"...in short the Icons fixed their own prices with help from the BCCI; franchises had NO choice.
Very wrong. In fact these franchises are not concerned just by cricket and they want these players for various ads of their products as well. In other words, they would prefer a glamorous and popular under performing star to a performing unknown. IPL is not just about cricket if you haven't understood it as yet! And these franchises wanted these players to be in their team exclusively and hence they requested BCCI well before to not put those four stars of each city on sale. So much so that Ambani was not interested in who else was bought for his franchise after getting Sachin. After that Delhi and Hyderabad also requested for Viru and Laxman's icon status for their own franchises. I hope you've understood it now.
And your take on the right to criticising is solely restricted to to those who "pay" is childish, to say the least....incidentally do you know that I don't own stock in United breweries or Reliance for that matter?? maybe I do :giggle:
I hope you get this point cleared after I replied to your point earlier. And even if you belong to any of the franchise you have NO RIGHT to pull down these players on the basis of money earned, on a public forum.