Shane Warne's captaincy : Not over till the fat laddie leads

putrevus

I have been seeing him last few games , he looks like who inspires others as a captain, and I still dont know why he retired he still looks he can bring it, on field too.He was admonishing Munaf Patel and trying him to bowl him with some fire, did you look the way he was mobbed by guys after win,It seemed like they love him. In contrast I saw Dhoni who was hardly speaking to Hayden while they were batting and even on field he was looking aloof.

I don't know if Dhoni didn't speak to Hayden at all. In fact, it looked like they were interacting quite a bit on the field (since Hayden is a slip catcher) and off the field(Hayden made some nice comments about him). I think mostly everyone is getting along well. I'm not so sure about Warne and Smith though. :D

I think Warne is acting like the talisman that Shearer was for Newcastle or Viera for Arsenal etc...He is a shrewd guy who is marshalling his resources well and his aura as a huge performer is rubbing off on those around him. Now coming to the comment on Dhoni, the comparisons are odious to say the least. Dhoni's style of leadership is quite different to Warne or many others, He is a inspiring leader in his own respect and if he can get players like Joginder Singh to deliver the goods each time they take the field then I think its a testament to his abilities being along the lines of the great Imran Khan.

I have been seeing him last few games ' date=' he looks like who inspires others as a captain, and I still dont know why he retired he still looks he can bring it, on field too.He was admonishing Munaf Patel and trying him to bowl him with some fire, did you look the way he was mobbed by guys after win,It seemed like they love him.[/quote'] If Warnie can use MP well and inspire him to generate pace and penetration, then a big question with AK and MSD :finger: "Why can't they encourage MP and other seamers to generate and excel to new speed and productive bowling???"
In contrast I saw Dhoni who was hardly speaking to Hayden while they were batting and even on field he was looking aloof.
O come on! nobody has seen that, then how could you see? MSD is an Indian icon, you need not see what others donot want to see...mind you! Whateva MSD does is a big and unseen chamatkaar!!!
Pathan move was cool though lucky.But yeah he has been terrific as a leader and player with the Royals as they go from strength to strength. Its been truly worth the Weight!
Hey! don't you think he has shown his intentions by hitting out at Asif in T20 WC? Now, that again you are reminding through your words^^^. It will be noticed only when they want to...the selectors, I mean. Till then, let Pathan add some more worthy weight to his stake!!!

The magic of Shane - Ian Chappell 308e7mu.jpg Richie Benaud said Keith Miller was the best captain Australia never had. The same can be said about Warne I first met Everton Valentine on the 1973 tour of the Caribbean and he now lives in Notting Hill Gate, London. We continue to communicate on cricket matters in general and the West Indies in particular Dear Everton Well, mate, you never cease to amaze. After telling me Twenty20 was "like drinking punch without the rum", I get an email from Hyderabad saying you've flown there to watch an IPL game. Still, I can't fault your reasoning; a desire to see if all this talk about Shane Warne's captaincy was true. I guess I no longer have to try and convince you he would've been a great Australian captain. He makes the game exciting for his team-mates, which is part of the secret to successful captaincy. Keep them involved in an absorbing contest and the really competitive players will regularly produce their best. Also, his captaincy creed, "We can win from any position," is like the common cold - it's contagious. If a team under Warne pulls off a stunning victory or two, the players start to believe that it wasn't a miracle, just an everyday occurrence. Everton, what you witnessed in Hyderabad, where Warne captained like a chess master and conjured up a remarkable last-gasp victory against the Deccan Chargers, is exactly what I saw in 1996 when I phoned Richie Benaud in England. I'd just seen Warne captain Victoria in a Super Eights tournament played in northern Australia during the winter. His captaincy was aggressive and there was a vibrancy to his leadership that inspired the players around him to perform at their best. I told Benaud, "I've just seen a brilliant natural leader. We could have another aggressive legspinning captain of Australia." Even from 16,000 kilometres away you could hear the excitement in Benaud's voice. My prediction had rekindled memories of his own exploits as an aggressive Australian captain who was prepared to take risks. What you said about Warne, "that he takes his gambling instincts on to the field" was one of the things that impressed me about his captaincy in 1996. Everton, what you and the Indian public are now seeing is what the people of Hampshire have been raving about for a few seasons: how as captain, Warne makes the game interesting for everybody to watch. What a pity we didn't see more of it in Australia. Just 11 one-day internationals as captain in the late 1990s and Australia won ten of those matches. No wonder Steve Waugh was in a hurry to return from injury to reclaim the job; the team responded brilliantly to Warne's leadership and there was a mystical quality about what might unfold that had the public constantly on the edge of their seats. He also captained Victoria a few times but that would have been wasted on their fans; they've been subjected to so much pedestrian leadership over the years, they've probably forgotten what good captaincy looks like. Yes, Everton, I know, there's an exception to every rule. My grandfather, and former Australia captain Vic Richardson advised me, "If you ever captain Australia, don't do it like a Victorian." Anyway, what's happened to the old devil-may-care Everton now you've retired? You're becoming conservative in your old age, agreeing with the "do gooders" (as you once described them), that it was probably just as well Warne didn't captain Australia because he would've embarrassed the country with his off-field antics. Remember what you said, Everton, "Larrikins make good captains because they are risk-takers." And anyway, I told you if he'd been appointed captain following Mark Taylor's retirement, I doubt he would have got into so much hot water that it ensured he would never captain Australia again. He's made some stupid mistakes but he's not naive. I think it was Eric Idle, the comic from Monty Python, who said of the male of the species: "Man has two major organs, brain and penis, but only blood enough to run one at a time." That probably best summed up Warnie. Anyway, we agree on one thing, Everton. Warne has one of the most vibrant cricket brains in the business and there can be no disputing he's a very good captain. Benaud often says the great allrounder Keith Miller was the best skipper he's seen never to captain Australia. I'd say the same about Warne in regard to Test cricket. Hey, mate, you've really succumbed to the Warne magic. You followed him to Jaipur to watch him out-manoeuvre his old foe Sourav Ganguly and make it four wins in a row against the Knight Riders, and now you're planning a trip to Las Vegas to watch him play in a poker tournament. If you want some spending money for Vegas, have a little wager on the Royals winning the IPL. There's one thing for sure about taking a punt on Warnie. He always gives you a good run for your money. http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/349936.html

Shane Warne's captaincy : Not over till the fat laddie leads When he played under Ricky Ponting, he was dubbed the "frustrated captain" by Graeme Smith. Now more than a year after having retired, Shane Warne had led the royal underdogs of the IPL to top of the table. And everyone is bewitched. More... Shane Warne's captaincy Not over till the fat laddie leads More than a year after retiring from international cricket, Shane Warne had captained the underdogs of the IPL to top of the table. And everyone is bewitched 298781.jpg 'He takes his gambling instincts onto the field' ©Getty Images "In the world there can be only one Taj Mahal. Similarly, there can only be one Shane Warne." Dinesh Salunkhe, the Rajasthan Royals legspinner who is yet to play first-class cricket, declares his captain one of the wonders of the world "It shows that when you play under good captains you tend to pick up a lot of good leadership qualities and instincts. Warne has, I think, benefited from playing under good captains and he is very much in control of things in the IPL." Younis Khan, a Royals signing who hasn't played for the side yet, applauds from the sidelines "You can study psychology for as long as you want, but he has lived it." Jeremy Snape, the Royals' assistant coach and holder of a degree in psychology "Not only has he led the cheapest franchise to the top of the table ... he has cajoled his team's unheralded youngsters and - even more difficult, this - almost convinced everyone that he is now best mates with Graeme Smith." Lawrence Booth highlights Warne's key achievement, in the Guardian "He is a great player and he leads from the front. He has done a great job in putting the team together and motivating them to give their best." Glenn McGrath has a few words of praise for an old mate "His captaincy creed, 'We can win from any position,' is like the common cold - it's contagious. If a team under Warne pulls off a stunning victory or two, the players start to believe that it wasn't a miracle, just an everyday occurrence." For Ian Chappell, Warne is the best captain Australia never had "Even a long break from the game doesn't seem to faze him." Rahul Dravid, one of the other captains in the tournament, salutes "Incredibly, his devotion to the team, and especially to the young players in it, even includes learning the Hindi language so he can communicate better - and not just the Namaste [G'day] that is about as far as most expatriates living in India can go. Example: "Ab tu jaake batting kar" [Now you go and bat], Warnie the linguist was heard telling Ravindra Jadeja during a net session the other day with such nonchalance that he never turned to see if anyone noticed." Bruce Loudon in the Australian details Warne's efforts to bond with his team

Guest HariSampath

Warne no doubt has led well in most IPL games ( not in all, as his captaincy was suspect against Mumbai when they were bundled for 100+ and he took a wkt with his first over and took himself off till last 5 runswere required) . Dhoni has a far better track record as a captain. The T20 world cup win proved it when he led the team through must win games , against strong sides at full strength and India was playing a very new side. He also led brilliantly in both games against Pakistan, high pressure games. The way he brought the team back from a thrashing against Aus in the one off T20, to win the CB series was absolutely great.

^^ Both of them have impressed me a lot and showed me a whole new dimension to cricket. It's amazing how much difference captaincy can make. These two have shown me it is not just a show-up-for-toss and set-a-field, but there is more to it.

It has been fascinating to see Warne lead in this tournament. When the IPL began, Rajasthan Royals looked the weakest team and seemed that every team will hammer them. But Warne's captaincy pulled a rabbit out of the hat and the team kept on performing as a unit match after match. I always wondered how would Warne have been making himself clear to some of the local guys who don't even understand english. How would he be telling them what to do and how to do especially to guys like Munaf who once questioned what was this intensity thing and it has been amazing to see his intensity in this tournament. I got my answer today. Revealed: Wizard of Oz's book of spells Warne has well-defined roles for all his Jaipur mates Shane Watson is ‘The Enforcer' and Niraj Patel ‘The Innings Manipulator'. Munaf, ‘The Pace Setter', must hit the deck hard... Varun Gupta Jaipur SHANE WARNE was the best skipper Australia never had, said many At 38, more than a year into his international retirement, the captain and coach of the Jaipur IPL team has turned a band of relative unknowns into a chart-topping unit. Everyone's wondering about the secret of Jaipur's success. Well, we might just have found it, along with proof of Warne's superb new-age management skills. In a fourpage team document that talks about what each player will do, a copy of which the Hin dustan Times has, Warne has detailed each player's strengths, weaknesses and role. The document was handed over to team members present on April 18, ahead of their first game against Delhi on April 19, and it took just a few practice sessions and matches for Warne to gauge his team. He, along with assistant coach Darren Berry, meticulously prepared a dossier on each player and assigned them titles according to their roles. Watson, for instance, is ‘The Enforcer' while Niraj Patel is the ‘Innings Manipulator.' From Munaf (‘The Pace Setter'), he's asked that he "hit the wicket hard and provide pace at the start. What is my role Hindustan Times May 17, 2008 First Published: 00:58 IST(17/5/2008) Last Updated: 01:02 IST(17/5/2008) Shane Warne – 'The Leader of the pack' 1. Spin to win. Take the big wickets and impose yourself on the contest. 2. Match-winning temperament in closing overs with the bat. 3. Marshall the troops slip or short covers/midoff. Shane Watson – 'The Enforcer' 1. Positive mind set, adapt according to requirements, bat long innings. 2. New ball or first change, plus closing bowler of clever variety! 3. Field in slip early, deep late. 4. Leader within group, expectation to give always to the team cause Yusuf Pathan – 'The Statement Maker' 1. Be Aggressive, dominate the start of the innings. Play with freedom, take 'em on! 2. Stump-to-stump off-spin 3. Field in the ring early on and in the deep later. Mohd. Kaif – 'The Guiding Light' 1. Manage and massage the batting team, create winning score. 2. The best fieldsman in India, show us why! 3. The glue to keep the unit together. Munaf Patel – 'The Pace Setter' 1. Hit the wicket hard and provide pace at the start. Use high full-toss if needed, angle in from wide of crease at Virender Sehwag. Strong bodylanguage, lead our attack. 2. Value your wicket and put bat on ball with the stick. Ever run counts. 3. Must be alert and energetic in the field. Use your strong arm from the deep. Dinesh Salunkhe – 'The Game Changer' 1. Bowl stump-to-stump fast leg-spin and be ready to bowl at any stage vs new batsman. 2. Try bowling from around the wicket as practiced. Remember, first ball is the best ball. 3. Slap some hard balls down the order to get us over the line. Mahesh Rawat: "Mr. Adaptability' 1. The best hands in the IPL, your chance to shine. 2. Bat according to situation, play smart according to massage or murder. 3. Hit to strengths and run well between wickets. 4. Set the standards on field, you're the engine of the fielding unit. Ravindra Jadeja – 'The Natural' 1. Play natural game, hit the ball long and hard, run hard between wickets. 2. Be ready just in case to bowl the odd over or two. Mix pace, spin it hard! 3. Must be the energyman in the field, always switched on to the contest. RUN! Siddharth Trivedi – 'Mixed Bag of tricks' 1. Use change of pace and unpredictability with the ball – keeper up. 2. Execute what is required depending on the situation. 3. Get off strike to get the other batsman on. 4. Field with enthusiasm, attack the ball in deep. Pankaj Singh – 'The Rajasthan Express' 1. Steam in and provide the side with pace and bounce early on. 2. Use variety when necessary, execute yorkers and low full-tosses well. 3. Hit long and straight just like Ranji Trophy innings. 4. Must be alive in the field, provide some energy for our team. Niraj Patel – 'The Innings Manipulator' 1. Play positively and look to score ever ball. Guide and greaft with skilful hands. 2. Be an option to bowl if called upon. 3. Must be one of our best fielders, our runout man with clean hands under pressure. Hustle the boys between overs, use experience. Swapnil Asnodkar – 'The Goa Cannon' 1. Set up the innings with clever strokeplay and use your strong wrists. Run like a rabbit between the wickets! 2. Must be one of the shining lights in the field. Taruwar Kohli: 'The Platform' 1. Play cricketing shots with freedom, build an innings of substance. 2. Part time medium-pace with keeper up. Darren Lehmann (no longer there) – 'The Skilful Craftsman' 1. Experience to build or bully the innings according to situation. 2. Innovation and skill, especially against spin, use experience. 3. Clever changes of pace with the ball, change momentum. Smith, Tanvir & Akmal joined the team only after this document was made.

Munaf Patel – 'The Pace Setter' 1. Hit the wicket hard and provide pace at the start. Use high full-toss if needed, angle in from wide of crease at Virender Sehwag. Strong bodylanguage, lead our attack.
Daadaaji Munna Bhai Patel and strong body language, bursting with laughter :cantstop:

Warne no doubt has led well in most IPL games ( not in all, as his captaincy was suspect against Mumbai when they were bundled for 100+ and he took a wkt with his first over and took himself off till last 5 runswere required) . Dhoni has a far better track record as a captain. The T20 world cup win proved it when he led the team through must win games , against strong sides at full strength and India was playing a very new side. He also led brilliantly in both games against Pakistan, high pressure games. The way he brought the team back from a thrashing against Aus in the one off T20, to win the CB series was absolutely great.
Well can't really say that - Warne hasn't had too many opportunities in leading Aus Although, it seems that unless one has the leadership capabilities of George Bush, one can lead Aussies to victory.

We were concerned about people of Jaipur: Warne Rajasthan Royals skipper Shane Warne revealed he never used computers for devising team strategy. More... We were concerned about people of Jaipur: Warne Agencies Posted online: Monday , May 19, 2008 at 1941 hrs IST 20warne.jpgIn our team we create an environment in which everybody, from Dinesh Salunke to Graeme Smith, can voice their opinions. I take the final call. SHANE WARNE, Captain and coach, JaipurIPL team Kolkata IN AN age where hi-tech gadgets have become an integral part in the planning process, Shane Warne prefers to keep it simple. Warne, who said he's relishing his captaincy stint with the Jaipur IPL team, added that he follows a democratic style in the planning stage. "In our team we create an environment in which everybody, from Dinesh Salunke to Graeme Smith, can voice their opinions. I take the final call," Warne told a press conference. But Warne stuck to his views on the use of computers. "We don't believe in using computers. We keep it in our brains. That's attitude for me." Warne's deft captaincy has earned plaudits from everyone, with the Jaipur side, not given much chance at the start of the event, sitting pretty atop the points table. With eight wins, they almost have one step in the semifinals. No doubt Warne said he was relishing captaincy . "I enjoy captaincy I have led Victoria, Hampshire, Australia in a couple of ODIs, and now the Rajasthan Royals." Tuesday's bomb blasts came as shock and did worry cricket fans who wondered whether the Aussies will continue playing. But Warne said he was unfazed adding that he enjoyed playing in India. "Let me put it on record that we were never scared (of continuing to play in Jaipur). We were concerned about the people of Jaipur, how we can help them. "I have been coming to India for the last 11 years. I love this country and its culture. Jaipur now has be come my second home and we were happy to win Saturday's match to give the crowd something to cheer about." On Tuesday's game, Warne said he was confident of winning. He, however, hinted at a change. "They will come back hard at us but we want to keep the momentum going. We may add an extra batsman because they are basically a strong bowling side. Along the line we have made life difficult for a few teams. We will love to have the pleasure of knocking them (Kolkata) out of the tournament." Can consider Ashes comeback, Melbourne: JUST 16 months after retiring from Test cricket, Shane Warne has said he would consider making a comeback against arch-rivals England in next year's Ashes series. "If Australia really needed me and there was no one else around, and (captain) Ricky (Ponting) thought I could do the job, you would weigh up the options," said Warne. Warne, who has 708 wickets in 145 Tests, retired from international cricket after Australia won the Ashes in January 2007 and is now working miracles leading the Rajasthan Royals to the top of the Indian Premier League table. Warne has also taken 14 wickets at 18.78 runs so far in the IPL. Warne said he would return should injury again cut down Stuart MacGill. "If Stuey fell over and broke his leg, and there were no other spinners around, and Ricky came out and said, 'Mate, can you please help us out for this one-off tour? We need you', that is something I'd weigh up," he was quoted by Herald Sun.