Pietersen in line for record IPL contract

Sachinism

Kevin Pietersen expects to be playing in India next year, and is on the verge of signing the most lucrative deal yet witnessed in the Indian Premier League, after being offered in excess of US$4million for a three-year contract by an undisclosed IPL franchise. According to a report in Saturday's Daily Mail, the deal has been financed by one of India's wealthiest families, who want Pietersen to sign "at any price". Mahendra Singh Dhoni is currently the most valuable player in the competition, earning in excess of US$1.5million a year, but such is Pietersen's appeal - on the field and off it - his final figure could yet top that. The news comes as a blow to the England & Wales Cricket Board, who had hoped to prevent their players from being lured to India ahead of a pivotal summer that includes the ICC World Twenty20 and, of course, the Ashes. An ECB insider told the Daily Mail that the head coach, Peter Moores would have the final say on which contracted players would be permitted to join the IPL, but in Pietersen's case, they were already resigned to making an exception. Pietersen is currently 28 and approaching his prime as a cricketer. He has not missed a Test for England since making his debut in the 2005 Ashes, although he will now face a busy run-up to the 2009 rematch against Australia, with England scheduled to tour the Caribbean in February and March before his proposed three-week stint in India. The ECB are naturally fearful of what could happen if the workload proves too much for him, or any other colleagues who might be lured by the IPL, but they are privately resigned to allowing the players to decide for themselves. Speaking to the same paper earlier in the week, Pietersen set his stall out to play for England until he is 35, but insisted that he shouldn't be denied the opportunity to make the most of his prime years. "I do wonder how long I'm going to do this for," he said. "Time will tell. I could get injured tomorrow and would be finished. That's why I was frustrated and irritated when we weren't allowed to go to India. I definitely want to go next year." It had been mooted in some quarters that Pietersen could chose to go freelance if the ECB didn't accede to his demands, but he denied that this had entered his thoughts. "Turning down a central contract is not something that has entered my head yet," he said, "but it would be horrendous if four or five of England's best players decided to do that and go to India instead. We should not be in a position where we have to choose. No one else had to." In a more promising development for the ECB, their proposed tie-up with Allen Stanford is nearing completion. According to the Daily Telegraph, the deal will be worth US$200million over five years, with an annual $20million match to be staged in Antigua until 2012. "The lawyers are still working on the fine print," the ECB's chief executive, David Collier, told the paper, "but we have finalised our negotiations and everything is in place." source: http://uk.cricinfo.com/ipl/content/current/story/351314.html they all come along in the end :isalute:

This is why i'll fackkin hate the cap removal...mumbai indians will proceed to buy out kp/flintoff/clarke/johnson and any other good player who hasn't been bought yet
Im sure the other teams could find investments from other companies/sources It seems to work for football, like chelsea have a ton of money yet, the cant win everything but on the contrary there needs to be some kind of limit, if they want to give the players more money, they should give it in another wayy

Im sure the other teams could find investments from other companies/sources It seems to work for football, like chelsea have a ton of money yet, the cant win everything but on the contrary there needs to be some kind of limit, if they want to give the players more money, they should give it in another wayy
I know that these are 3 year contracts, but are the players really bound to their contracts right now? Or are there opportunities for ambani to say offer $1.5 million to rohit sharma to come join mumbai...from what i've seen, the ipl keeps changing on things

I know that these are 3 year contracts' date=' but are the players really bound to their contracts right now? Or are there opportunities for ambani to say offer $1.5 million to rohit sharma to come join mumbai...from what i've seen, the ipl keeps changing on things[/quote'] yeh but changes are bound to happen, they aren't going to get everything perfect in a few months of planning after seeing the 1st tournament, they will have a better idea on a lot of things i reckon a lot of new things will come along in the 2nd year

yeh but changes are bound to happen, they aren't going to get everything perfect in a few months of planning after seeing the 1st tournament, they will have a better idea on a lot of things i reckon a lot of new things will come along in the 2nd year
no but as of now, is that possible? can you steal players from other teams by offering a higher contract? I reckon its not possible, right?!

This is why i'll fackkin hate the cap removal...mumbai indians will proceed to buy out kp/flintoff/clarke/johnson and any other good player who hasn't been bought yet
they can still play only four. But yeah, there must be some sort of cap. Perhaps it will be raised for next year?