Venugopal Rao should be given an ODI chance

Rohan495

i remember he got a chance during that tri series in sri lanka which had lanka and windies the other two teams. there was one time when were in deep trouble against lanka, and he and dravid batted really well against Murali. though Venu got just 30 odd, but he impressed me a lot. since then i wanted him to play regularly. but he was dropped soon after that series ended. now here i am watching him again.. nice to see him scoring runs..

I used to totally hate Y Venu Rao becos he was a selfish, slow batsman in ODIs. Maybe he has changed. Benefit of doubt

CRICINFO: "It's time we declared that Venu has come a long way from his Dravidesque start to his ODI career... Very valiant knocks the last few have been," says Sankar.

all players do change over a period of time. its time to give venugopal a 2nd chance in odis. venugopal was earlier said about not being fit for 20/20, but he has proved all his critics wrong

Rao was never given a proper run, actually. One could say he played 16 ODIs, but in the end he played only 11 innings and most of them were when he had to come during the last few overs of the innings. He is not the kind of player who can start slogging from the first ball. Even in this T20 competition he has started doing well only after he has been able to settle in for the first 15-20 deliveries. He is a terrific batsman and scores at a fair clip with proper cricketing strokes - a lot like Sharma and Badrinath in that respect. He certainly has the ability to do well in ODIs from a number 3/4 position where he can build an innings and if he can have a strong Ranji season next year might even come into reckoning for a test spot.

He was given ample chances but he really did not seem to belong in the ODIs. This t20 tournament seems to have opened him up and he is playing his strokes freely.
yeh he was given plenty of chances but he's been batting pretty well in this tournament and he's bowling seems to have improved quite a bit too

Actually, V. Rao like Badrinath will suit the Test team much better than ODIs. Good to see both have adapted well to T20, their natural strength has always been longer variety of cricket. Both have improved their skillz in limited overs, but the best use of their talent will be if they can be accomodated in the Test team. (ofcourse, Rohit Sharma is a candidate for Test team too)

Rao has moved to Maharastra and I don't think he has been having decent Ranji seasons. He is way behind in the line to be in ODI squad. He should aim test berth. Next first class season he should aim to score bucket full of run and you might seem him in test squad