Some Appreciation for Royals

swami1984

Guys, This is something I have to gripe about I guess. Whenever our team loses against the Royals (like MI today), we always blame somebody like Fernando or Sachin or Jaya. But I don't see many posts that praise the performances of Patel and Jadeja. Let's face it, they were almost done and dusted with 80-5 and Watson gone. The fact that they pulled this off deserves some appreciation. They had some luck yes, but who doesn't. Moreover, they won after shooting themselves in the foot (Watson's last over going for 25 runs!) and that is what takes the cake (winning despite some mistakes on the day) Predz just wrote about how the Daredevils would prefer facing Royals (Sehwag facing an in-form Tanvir is never easy) in the semis. HariSampath had CSK winning 3/4 against Chargers and Royals (and certainly 2 out of 2 against Royals) and so on. But the fact is, they have beat other teams and have come through in pressure situations. Royals are pretty much the New England Patriots - minus the spying scandals. Any one in their team can raise their hand on their day and win the game...and thats what makes them scary Heck, even I had written them off (had Deccan beating them twice) but since their first win (against a tough KXP team), I personally have enjoyed watching them play.

exactly my point - some ppl in this forum also said that theyll fumble in semis/finals...but theyve come out on top in EVERY close game/pressure situation....so there is no basis for saying that they'll fumble. Any team can have a bad day tho

Well played Royals. It was nice to see Indian youngsters carrying their side to a win. A moment they will always remember. Also, was really impressed with Tanveer's yorkers (almost Wasim-like). He is going to be a good ODI bowler. If he can work on his outswinger he will also be a force to reckon with in test matches.

exactly my point - some ppl in this forum also said that theyll fumble in semis/finals...but theyve come out on top in EVERY close game/pressure situation....so there is no basis for saying that they'll fumble. Any team can have a bad day tho
yup there is no basis to say that they will fumble but my gut feeling. Law of averages will catch em up with them but if they win IPL...No complains...They wouldve won it fair and squae, topping the league then winning both semis and finals. Right now they are the most deserving team to win the finals but lets see what happens.

Guest Hiten.

There should be no sympathies if RR happen to lose semis or finals because this league has a system of semis and finals. If you can't win THE important game, you don't deserve jacksh*t. But RR are really to be credited as the BEST side barring semis/finals. No-name players have pitched in whatever they had and that 'whatever' has helped RR top the table.

RR have one of the best bowling attacks. Tanveer and Watson have been outstanding, and Munaf and Trivedi have bowled intelligently. And obviously there's Warne. Their batting is a bit weak though. They might struggle to chase 170+.

Royals are easily the most balanced side in the IPL. They've got everything in their team to win a T20 contest. Solid openers (with Graeme Smith back), explosive middle order (Yusuf Pathan, Shane Watson), more than decent regional players, excellent captain, match winning allrounders, wicket taking pacers backed up by wicket taking spinners. Punjab too has got a very balanced side. Their batting & bowling have fair bit of experience. No wonder these two teams, have done well thru out the tournament. One of them deserve to win the IPL

I think DD also has a very talented squad. They probably messed up a little bit somewhere. They have 3 leading run scorers and 3 bowlers with great E/Rs and avgs. Their support cast (Malik, De villiers, Dilshan, YoMi etc) have to come to the party now.