Is it city loyality or regional?

mahenga

Is it city loyality or regional?  

1. 1.

• Yes it will give another reason to hate each other.
    • No, people will forgive and forget once out of the stadium.
    • It will turn into good. City loyalties will bind us against other differences within the city.

City loyality may be good for IPL but is it good for our society in general. Think about north south divide, hindi - non hindi divide, will it add fuel to that. With us Indians being mad about cricket, will city loyalties create another reason to hate each other. India Today Article

Yuvraj takes a call In his team's away fixture against the Mumbai Indians, Yuvraj Singh's most memorable moment of inspiration came right at the end. He ran, desperate, hungry, towards the non-striker's end, tearing up the turf before diving onto the stumps, to beat Mumbai by a single run in the IPL's 45th match. Having robbed the raucous Wankhede Stadium crowd of their breath and all dreams of victory, at the presentation Yuvraj then acerbically thanked spectators for their "support" and drove the knife in, "It was pretty one-sided for Mumbai. Just don't forget some of the Punjab boys also play for India." Adrenalin pumping, it was clear Yuvraj was speaking not as captain of King's XI Punjab in the IPL, but as an India cricketer used to playing before adoring and supportive home crowds. The otherwise confident left-hander was struggling to fully comprehend life in this parallel cricketing universe. But as with everything connected to the IPL, an instant larger symbolism was constructed around his statement. It is now being taken as proof that, by the sheer power of its entertainment value and a carpet-bombing media campaign, the IPL has succeeded in creating city loyalties in a sport previously driven by national allegiances. This issue was considered the competition's biggest hurdle but the message going out now after the Mumbai-Mohali game is that it has been tossed aside by the IPL juggernaut. On that tumultuous night, Yuvraj probably needed to take a calming few breaths. It would have tempered his words, but by letting rip he did turn some attention on the Wankhede crowd which is fast becoming the personification of the ugly face of "city loyalty". In recent weeks, more than one IPL team has felt Wankhede's hostility, which may begin with meaningless chanting about how the opposition sucks but soon degenerates to boundary fielders being viciously and relentlessly abused by spectators looking for victims and not at the cricket. Booing, once heard only as disapproval for bad conduct, is now considered the routine way to greet 'opposition' players in Mumbai, both IPL and international. Tendulkar too got the treatment here in 2005. Last year, the two idiots who made monkey gestures at Andrew Symonds were sitting in the Wankhede's once-educated North Stand. Of course Pakistan can't still play in Mumbai. All over the rest of the country, IPL matches have been played before boisterous but fair and appreciative audiences who have robustly backed their team. Eden Gardens, which once had to be emptied out after Shoaib Akhtar ran out Tendulkar, shrieked in joy when the Pakistani removed Virender Sehwag in the Kolkata - Delhi IPL fixture. Mumbai, for some reason, cannot get the balance right. Mumbai was once the spiritual home of Indian cricket. Once it was the most cosmopolitan city in India. Today the country's cricketers will tell you that its ultra-aggressive and vocal crowd is closer in nature to those found in the trouble spots of Kanpur or Ahmedabad. The worst possible way to treat ugly and objectionable crowd behaviour is to legitimize it by using some spiel about club/city loyalty.

I am a die hard supporter of MI. Part of the reason is that I live in Mumbai and another part is that I am a big fan of Sachin Tendulkar. However, my support for MI does not make me dislike any other city or team. I have enjoyed matches in the company of fans of other teams/cities. We have argued for and supported our respective teams and after the matches the friendship was no how altered.

I am a die hard supporter of MI. Part of the reason is that I live in Mumbai and another part is that I am a big fan of Sachin Tendulkar. However' date=' my support for MI does not make me dislike any other city or team. I have enjoyed matches in the company of fans of other teams/cities. We have argued for and supported our respective teams and after the matches the friendship was no how altered.[/quote'] Your assertion may be right for now but how long. Usually for such city Identities to take root needs a history. With time the loyalties will deapen. There will be incidents on which you have to support one view or the other. You and your friends will have different views and sometimes those debates will get heated .

The "regional divide"' date=' as you put it, would exist without the presence of cricket thanks to the politicians and the general attitudes of Indians. Doesn't make a difference.[/quote'] tell me which country doesnt have regional divide? in usa people have regional divide, whether its east , south west or midwest. in canada people say so many things bout newfiews, eastern, albertans, ontario people and i lived in europe too and its everywhere , so stop these crazy polls.

Bobby, Yes regional divide is everywhere. But poll is necessary to understand what we will be getting out of these kind of layalties. Cricket is not just a sport in India its a relegion. My answer to poll was option 3. Because I believe that regional divides even if they exist are not important. Its rarely that people of one state go to other state to fight. Mostly it will be the neighbours living in the same city that fight each other, because they may belong to different religion, race or caste. If one can create an identity for people that is above these factors but only based on geography and culture, the world will be much more peacefull. You seems Punjabi so I am giving an example from Punjab itself. Under Maharaja Ranjit Singh Punjab had seen much more peacefull days as he united everybody under Punjabi Identity and not Sikh, Muslim or other identities that previous and later rulers used to divide the population. Hope I am not turning the subject too heavy..

In a league format, this type of rivalry is necessary and adds a bit of spice. Who can forget the rivalry of Yankees / Red soxs? When they are representing the league teams, they are not representing the country / state. So Yuvi was childish to complain that there are 2 punjabi players in the team. It does not matter how many punjabi / aussie players in the team. All it matters is they represent, Kings XI, Mumbai Indians, Rajasthan Royals etc. After the tournament is over, you will see teams supporting the national players.

You find right on this very board people using terms "southies", "sambhar sniffer", "lungi", etc liberally and these are supposed to be the "educated" lot. Yes, predator is right. You will find chennai fans supporting mumbai (or atleast SRT), delhi or kolkatta. I am yet to find a person who isn't from Chennai who is even remotely OK with chennai reaching the semis on this board. I think there is more "hate" for the south amongst folks from the north than vice-versa.

Guest Hiten.

Making fun of other teams and players is just a jest (atleast for me). Whatever said about the teams should not be taken seriously because IPL's whole concept is to promote regional cricket. Moreover, IPL spreads one region's culture amongst another. For example, which Jharkhandi would have lived in south india and understood their culture ? Which Keralite would have lived in Punjab and understood north India's tradition ? People should not get sentimental over the topics that are discussed in IPL forum and should not bring the hatred in the general cricket forum once we all root for Team India again. Anyways, Deccan Chargers are helping their fellow South Indian team to qualify for the semi-final place. Ba$tards :D

You find right on this very board people using terms "southies"' date=' "sambhar sniffer", "lungi", etc liberally and these are supposed to be the "educated" lot. Yes, predator is right. You will find chennai fans supporting mumbai (or atleast SRT), delhi or kolkatta. I am yet to find a person who isn't from Chennai who is even remotely OK with chennai reaching the semis on this board. I think there is more "hate" for the south amongst folks from the north than vice-versa.[/quote'] yoda playing the victim card as usual!:haha:

You find right on this very board people using terms "southies"' date=' "sambhar sniffer", "lungi", etc liberally and these are supposed to be the "educated" lot. Yes, predator is right. You will find chennai fans supporting mumbai (or atleast SRT), delhi or kolkatta. [b']I am yet to find a person who isn't from Chennai who is even remotely OK with chennai reaching the semis on this board. I think there is more "hate" for the south amongst folks from the north than vice-versa.
second that. I wanted to type a lot, infact i did and erased it out completely. This thread will turn racist if we keep on this track...

Agree with Yoda here. I haven't met very many NIs who like South India(ns) very much. The food is spicy and the talk is funny for them all the time.
Not spicy Coffee miyan..cr@ppy. :giggle: This long weekend I had a horrendous lunch at Hyderabadi Dum Biryani place in Oakland, CA. Should not have been there even if they paid me. Made a complete mess of Chilly chicken and Hyderabadi biryani. :((:(( That was said in jest of course, dont get all Bhajji on my Sreesanth a$$ now. Quick question for you - Why do South Indian restaurant in US show North Indian dishes on their menu when they absolutely butcher it? Why not stick to Southern dishes, a la Udupi restaurants, and make good authentic Southern dishes??? And Yoda I am prefectly fine with Chennai reaching the semis. For that matter I would be perfectly fine if NO team reached the semis and SRK and Vijay Mallya fought it out in the middle instead.

You find right on this very board people using terms "southies"' date=' "sambhar sniffer", "lungi", etc liberally and these are supposed to be the "educated" lot. Yes, predator is right. You will find chennai fans supporting mumbai (or atleast SRT), delhi or kolkatta. I am yet to find a person who isn't from Chennai who is even remotely OK with chennai reaching the semis on this board. I think there is more "hate" for the south amongst folks from the north than vice-versa.[/quote'] completely agree...

OK Yoda, Temujin Khaghan, coffee_rules and zubinpepsi, lets make the record straight. Add me as a NI who wanted not one but two SI sides to go to semis. I wanted Deccan and Banglore to go fwd but again not Chennai :-D Reason is nothing to do with SIs but MSK. My father was in army and posted all around the country. I have heard only positives from him about South Indians. Just as you don't like stereotyping all SIs, similarly I wouldn't like all NIs being grouped as SI haters.

A lot of the anti-Chennai superkings feeling on the board is due to 2 reasons : 1. The fact that a lot of CSK supporters went overboard with the gloating when they won 4 in row at the start of the tournament. 2. A dislike for Dhoni because he pipped Yuvraj for the captaincy and then was instrumental in having Dravid and Ganguly out of the ODI team plus some controversial interviews he gave.

Not spicy Coffee miyan..cr@ppy. :giggle: This long weekend I had a horrendous lunch at Hyderabadi Dum Biryani place in Oakland, CA. Should not have been there even if they paid me. Made a complete mess of Chilly chicken and Hyderabadi biryani. :((:(( That was said in jest of course, dont get all Bhajji on my Sreesanth a$$ now.
There aren't very many good restaurants serving SI food here in US. That too Non-veg. Don't even try. You should come over to NJ/NY area to taste real good SI food. :haha:
Quick question for you - Why do South Indian restaurant in US show North Indian dishes on their menu when they absolutely butcher it? Why not stick to Southern dishes, a la Udupi restaurants, and make good authentic Southern dishes???
For the same reason NI restaurants have dosas and idlis which remotely look like dosas and idlis. I think the butchering is equally bad in this case as well. Going back to food talk, I prefer eating NI food here in US anyday over SI food. It is pathetic.

Yoda makes a good point. It is more than amazing to see that there is so little support for CSK on the forum here. But thats ok, its IPL, its cricket, its circus, so doesnt matter so much. What is even more amazing is all the namecalling that is indulged by selected educated folk(s) subtly couched so it is within rules of the forum. Mocking at the food (sambhar sniffer), mocking the clothing worn by people, mocking by pronouncing a name to all people south of the vindhyas etc. Educated people indeed. CSK does not matter. Respect for people from different parts of the country - that matters or should matter.