Plunkett makes selfless gesture

King

Plunkett makes selfless gesture England fast bowler Liam Plunkett offered to donate a kidney to help his father Alan combat a hereditary disease. Plunkett, 21, made the gesture between England?s one-day success in Australia last month and leaving for the World Cup in the Caribbean on Friday. However, his 49-year-old dad turned him down flat for the sake of his cricketing career and his condition has since improved. A fortnight ago Plunkett senior, who suffers from polycystic kidney disease, was told he would have to undergo renal dialysis or have a transplant. That is when Durham?s Plunkett selflessly suggested the donation. ?Obviously with close family on their death bed you would, wouldn?t you?? Plunkett said. ?That is what I said but he said he wouldn?t take it anyway because of the career I have ahead of me. I was fully prepared but he wouldn?t accept it anyway.? Plunkett?s father underwent a liver transplant 10 years ago and another one is not out of the question in the future. His spirit in adversity has clearly been an inspiration to Plunkett, whose dozen wickets in the Commonwealth Bank Series were an integral part of England?s success. ?He was good to me when I was younger, he took me everywhere and the struggle he has had over the last 10 years shows he has been fighting quite hard,? Plunkett added. Liam Plunkett Liam Plunkett is fighting for a place in England's World Cup starting XI ? Getty ImagesBuy this photo?It is not just the kidney we are worried about, it is his liver from before. ?Sometimes he keeps stuff from me so I keep thinking about cricket; I don?t know fully what is happening but as far as I know he is all right and he is just waiting to go on dialysis.? Communication between father and son is mainly restricted to telephone conversations due to international commitments abroad but Alan did manage to spend a month on the Ashes tour. ?The doctors have a chart they refer to on his condition and before he went to Australia he was quite stable but it dropped quite a lot which made us worry,? said Plunkett. ?But he seems to be a bit better now. We received a phone call to say it wasn?t as bad as they had thought and it had stabilised again. ?It is not like he is in bed all the time, he is fine, walking around the shops and driving around.?

Re: Plunkett makes selfless gesture Considering the fact that your most likely donor-match could be from your children, Plunkett just did what he needed to do. Many in his stature woud think twice before making this offer. This just shows how good a human being he is and the nice upbringing he received from his parents. Wishing all the best to Plunkett senior. A good son for an equally caring father!

Re: Plunkett makes selfless gesture I am waiting for Raj to marvel at this gesture and then remark rather scathingly that no indian would dare emulate such a feat, upon which i shall reply with extreme prejudice, thus giving BheemBhai reason to ban me (yet again).

Re: Plunkett makes selfless gesture

Its a natural gesture, and i feel every son would do the same.
u will be surprised.... especially in caucasian families...
contrary to what you think, attachment to family members is actually higher in most african american and caucassian families as compared to your average indian family. they might have some notions which we find peculiar, in particular of not sharing residence with their parents after attaining the age of 18-21 (i know i left home at 18), but there is a sweeping generalization employed by a number of Indians to justify their pitiful treatment of the elderly.

Its a natural gesture, and i feel every son would do the same.
u will be surprised.... especially in caucasian families...
contrary to what you think, attachment to family members is actually higher in most african american and caucassian families as compared to your average indian family. they might have some notions which we find peculiar, in particular of not sharing residence with their parents after attaining the age of 18-21 (i know i left home at 18), but there is a sweeping generalization employed by a number of Indians to justify their pitiful treatment of the elderly.
uh.... not from wat i have seen.... i dont jump to hasty conclusions or talk through hear-say.... it is not based on living with parents....

I am waiting for Raj to marvel at this gesture and then remark rather scathingly that no indian would dare emulate such a feat' date=' upon which i shall reply with extreme prejudice, thus giving BheemBhai reason to ban me (yet again).[/quote'] It was me and your comments were uncalled for, considering it is WC time, your ban was reduced to 2 days by fellow mod but I realized you came up with a new identity anyways But I realize I should have warned you 1st instead of str8-ban

I am waiting for Raj to marvel at this gesture and then remark rather scathingly that no indian would dare emulate such a feat' date=' upon which i shall reply with extreme prejudice, thus giving BheemBhai reason to ban me (yet again).[/quote'] It was me and your comments were uncalled for, considering it is WC time, your ban was reduced to 2 days by fellow mod but I realized you came up with a new identity anyways But I realize I should have warned you 1st instead of str8-ban
not you, i m talking about RAJ, not rajeev.

I know..I am saying it wasn't bheem' date=' it was me[/quote'] ah! id watch my back if i was you... i m coming for you! you wont know when, you wont know how, and you wont know where... but i shall have my vengeance! or as stewie griffin would say: "victory is mine!"

I know..I am saying it wasn't bheem' date=' it was me[/quote'] ah! id watch my back if i was you... i m coming for you! you wont know when, you wont know how, and you wont know where... but i shall have my vengeance! or as stewie griffin would say: "victory is mine!"
..thanx, Let me know when u launch the missiles