IPL becomes ever more appealing to England's players

Sachinism

Despite claims from ECB chairman Giles Clarke that the IPL will not impact on the England team, speculation is growing that leading players are preparing to use the window between the end of the West Indies tour and the start of the 2009 season to head to India. The second IPL season is scheduled to be held between April 10 and May 29. England return from the Caribbean in March, and traditionally the first Test of the summer is not until mid May, allowing them a four to five-week gap to play in the IPL. Assuming that all the leading players sign new central contracts with the ECB, in theory they will need permission from it - and, where applicable, their counties - to play. That will place the board in a quandary as earlier this week a spokesman reiterated Clarke's assertion at the start of the season that the early end to the West Indies tour was to allow players to rest rather than play elsewhere. But the players' desire to take part in the lucrative IPL might force the board to stand down. Adam Wheatley, Kevin Pietersen's agent, made clear to The Times that his client was keen to play in India. "I think the ECB wants to appease the players. There is at least a window now, albeit a short one, so I think Kevin will be able to play in the IPL. He might only play two or three games next year, then maybe a bit more the year after." Vijay Mallya, the owner of the Bangalore Royal Challengers, who despite a huge financial outlay failed to make the last four in the IPL, told the Daily Telegraph that English players were firmly in his sights. "Some swapping around will have to be done but we will be looking at English players and I have set my team management working on the composition of the squad for next year."