Pity that Shoaib and Asif arent going to the world cup.

Ram

I dont know how many of you will agree with me on this.... I think this world cup has lost quite a bit of sheen coz Akhtar and Asif are not going. For purely cricketing reasons, it would have been great to see these two amazing fast bowlers exhibit their skills in front of the entire world. Love or hate them , you have to admire the pakistanis for the passionate way in which they play their game.. Just the raw emotions.. A pakistani team in full flight is truly a sight to watch... And chk out this cool video on youtube.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdndqP7gglE

Re: Pity that Shoaib and Asif arent going to the world cup. Too bad S.Waugh,Kapil dev and Viv richards are retired. Passion doesnt mean that you can cheat. Look at their history. From ball tampering to pitch tampering. I would rather that these 2 be banned forever so that youngsters from all countries know tht using drugs in sports is not an option.

Re: Pity that Shoaib and Asif arent going to the world cup.

Too bad S.Waugh,Kapil dev and Viv richards are retired. Passion doesnt mean that you can cheat. Look at their history. From ball tampering to pitch tampering. I would rather that these 2 be banned forever so that youngsters from all countries know tht using drugs in sports is not an option.
I understand what you are saying... but purely interms of attaractive and attacking cricket , Pakistan is one of the best teams to watch. There is hardly a dull moment when they play.. I always support pakistan in whatever matches they play.. unles ofcours when its against India.. :hic:

I understand what you are saying... but purely interms of attaractive and attacking cricket , Pakistan is one of the best teams to watch. There is hardly a dull moment when they play..
You got to be kidding me, they are not attractive anymore mate. Only Inzi and Yousuf are graceful to watch. Younis is not great to watch but is bloody effective. The rest are just mediocre. Shoaib was good to watch but I won't miss him considering he hardly plays and now with the drugs in the system his presence isn't fair for the rest. Asif is effective but not exciting to watch. They used to be terrific to watch when they had the likes of Aamir Shoail, Saeed Anwar, Moin Khan, Akram, Waqar, Saqlain, Mushtaq Ahmed and the rest but not anymore. Whatever the work commitments or social commitments I used to find time to pay visit to the ground in the early 90s to late 90s to watch Pakistan. Now it wouldn't even dawn on me they are in town.

I dont know how many of you will agree with me on this.... I think this world cup has lost quite a bit of sheen coz Akhtar and Asif are not going. For purely cricketing reasons, it would have been great to see these two amazing fast bowlers exhibit their skills in front of the entire world. Love or hate them , you have to admire the pakistanis for the passionate way in which they play their game.. Just the raw emotions.. A pakistani team in full flight is truly a sight to watch... And chk out this cool video on youtube.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdndqP7gglE
Very much so man, hopefully one day we will see all 3 of them(Gul, SHoaib and Asif) playing together. Those 3 followed by D Kaneria would really make up an excellent bowling attack but unfortunately there are so friken injury prone.

Re: Pity that Shoaib and Asif arent going to the world cup. Wanting drug cheats to play means you support their actions. Yes, everyone wants to watch the best players play (DUH!), but only if they are the best without cheating.

Re: Pity that Shoaib and Asif arent going to the world cup. u forgot that the real charm of this world cup is the likes of Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, lara, mcgrath, pollock , ganguly, inzi, jaysurya who all would perhaps be playing their last wc, this is the thing which ppl are looking forfward too, and seeing akhthar and co out of world cup has satisfied the public that atleast if pakistan goes on to win some games, then no one would ask them to pove that they won those games in wc07 by hook and not by crook, atleast now wc lookz to be clean... those gr8z are retiring, thatz their world cup, and perhapz the best every world cup it would be..

Re: Pity that Shoaib and Asif arent going to the world cup. They don't deserve to be there and rightfully won't be; however a premier competition such as a World Cup needs every country to showcase the very best talent it has. Pakistan's best players are Shoaib and Asif, and without them the World Cup does lose some of it's lustre.

Re: Pity that Shoaib and Asif arent going to the world cup. talkin of cheating , dont you think match-fixing is a bigger offence than Doping ?? Cause match-fixing is a great insult on the intellect of the cricket fan. All of us think we are watching a proper well fought out cricket match , when result of the match has already been decided. In that sense , Players like Gibbs should also not play in the cup. Match-fixing is the biggest slap on the face of the average cricket maniac, more than doping...

I dont know how many of you will agree with me on this.... I think this world cup has lost quite a bit of sheen coz Akhtar and Asif are not going. For purely cricketing reasons, it would have been great to see these two amazing fast bowlers exhibit their skills in front of the entire world.
For what its worth I beleive the World Cup has lost its sheen not so much because Akhtar and Asif are missing from Pakistani line-up, but because this is easily the worst Pakistani cricket team that has been fielded for the WC. Let me concede that ODI being a gamble this Pakistani team is quite capable of winning the trophy but does this team hold a candle to 2003, 1999, 1996, 1992 teams? As an Indian cricket fan it remains my treasured pleasure to have witnessed all the 4 games where India whipped Pakistan in WC. The Pakistani teams in those games were the best they could have been other than Akram's injury in 1996. There was a passion by which an Indian fan hated Sohail for his rebuke of Prasad and celebrated when Prasad bowled Sohail all ends up in 1996 Quarter finals. When Sachin dismantled Waqae/Wasim/Shoaib single-handedly in 2003 entire country went nuts. I would still be ecstatic if India beats Pakistan in 2007 WC but what would I be looking to celebrate? Uthappa beating the daylights of Rana? Or Zaheer Khan castling Muhammed Hafiz? xxx

I would still be ecstatic if India beats Pakistan in 2007 WC but what would I be looking to celebrate? Uthappa beating the daylights of Rana? Or Zaheer Khan castling Muhammed Hafiz
Even if they pick up a Rag-Tag - XI from the streets of Karachi it will be good fun for most Fanatic supporters ....
Second that. So, Lurker, question for you: Between the two choices, would you rather see Asif castle Uthappa or Uthappa smack Rana?

talkin of cheating , dont you think match-fixing is a bigger offence than Doping ?? Cause match-fixing is a great insult on the intellect of the cricket fan. All of us think we are watching a proper well fought out cricket match , when result of the match has already been decided. In that sense , Players like Gibbs should also not play in the cup. Match-fixing is the biggest slap on the face of the average cricket maniac, more than doping...
donno which is bigger. both are pretty bad for sure. we always tend to forget things of the past as some of us probably don't even remember the details.

So, Lurker, question for you: Between the two choices, would you rather see Asif castle Uthappa or Uthappa smack Rana?
Yoda, Are you suggesting that Asif would have by default castled Uthappa? I dont mean to second guess you but it seems that you are "threatened" by Asif and thats the reason you would much rather have Uthappa face Rana. I would much rather have an Indian team beat a strong Pakistani team. Else it shall take the lustre away as far as I am concerned. Sure a win is ultimately a win but from where we stand today I doubt the game would be as much of a cracker as 1996 or 2003. xxx

So, Lurker, question for you: Between the two choices, would you rather see Asif castle Uthappa or Uthappa smack Rana?
Yoda, Are you suggesting that Asif would have by default castled Uthappa? I dont mean to second guess you but it seems that you are "threatened" by Asif and thats the reason you would much rather have Uthappa face Rana. I would much rather have an Indian team beat a strong Pakistani team. Else it shall take the lustre away as far as I am concerned. Sure a win is ultimately a win but from where we stand today I doubt the game would be as much of a cracker as 1996 or 2003. xxx
I donno what's going to happen and neither do you. You stated a hypothetical about Uthappa and Rana and Zak. I stated one for you. So, let me ask you this question: Are you looking at India winning the cup or just interested in some exciting cricket, even if it means India loses one of them exciting games?

Are you looking at India winning the cup or just interested in some exciting cricket, even if means India loses one of them exciting games?
Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive? Why can't India win a WC dominating it the way it did in 1985 Benson & Hedges? Where in every single game we outplayed the opposition(which by the way included a very strong Pakistani outfit in the finals)? I would like India to win this WC as the dominating team, not merely as a team that won because others lacked strength. xxxx

Are you looking at India winning the cup or just interested in some exciting cricket, even if means India loses one of them exciting games?
Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive? Why can't India win a WC dominating it the way it did in 1985 Benson & Hedges? Where in every single game we outplayed the opposition(which by the way included a very strong Pakistani outfit in the finals)? I would like India to win this WC as the dominating team, not merely as a team that won because others lacked strength. xxxx
So, you would rather us not win the cup cause Shoaib and Asif decided to juice up. :lmao: OK.