Was India's win against England against a second string bowling attack?

All evidence so far has suggested that India's win in England last summer was against the best bowling attack England have. All the noises about Hoggard and Harmison missing can be safely put to rest now after the superb performance of Anderson and Sidebottom since then. It was evident to a few out here as well while the series was on that if we did not have batsmen of the ability of Tendulkar and Ganguly we would have been made mincemeat in the series, but the lobby to bring down our batting order, in particular Tendulkar, was in full swing about how he averaged 33.xx against a second string bowling attack(never mind two of the 6 dismissals were utterly insignificant) going to the extent of acclaiming Kumble as a better batsman than Tendulkar. So what happened all of a sudden? Andserson and Sidebottom became world class bowler? Naah, that can't be true - how can Tendulkar and Ganguly score against a potent attack!

Not only few Indian forummers but few English forummers also said that India won against a second string attack. They've not forgotten their 2005 attack and to be honest if my team had such a good attack, I'll be in a denial mode too to accept their downfall. But it is all settled now. Most of the teams are in a rebuilding phase as far getting a stable attack is concerned and for India it has been a never ending process.

Since the 2005 Ashes ended, no English bowler has been as effective, consistent and reliable as Ryan Sidebottom. Anyone who thinks an attack with him is a second string attack is a deluded, ignorant jackass who needs to learn a thing or twenty about the game. The rest of the attack India faced was top notch. Anderson on his talent and potential would walk into most international teams, and if 'first string pick' Steve Harmison had played with his usual waste of talent and ability, his softcock whining approach to the game and his tendency to get homesick with any game more than 3/4ths of a mile from Durham, the job would probably have been even easier.

The rest of the attack India faced was top notch. Anderson on his talent and potential would walk into most international teams, and if 'first string pick' Steve Harmison had played with his usual waste of talent and ability, his softcock whining approach to the game and his tendency to get homesick with any game more than 3/4ths of a mile from Durham, the job would probably have been even easier.
Umm wtf Salil? Haramison didn't play in that series. Sidebottom was good but unlucky. Panesar is learning and will get better with age (as spinners do). Anderson is just crap. Just a superfast version of Agarkar. Just because he is kicking some serious NZ ar$e doesnt mean he is a good bowler. He'll have 20-0-150-1 days and 20-5-80-5 days...the former more than the latter, especially against teams like Aus, SAF and India IMO. And then they had Tremlett, not a first choice bowler by any means... So yaah....a second-rate bowling attack. They missed Simon Jones, Flintoff and Hoggard more than Haramison

Exactly, I SAID Harmison didn't play in the series. Read the GD post. That word 'if' before Harmison indicates as much. The OP is in response to the ****wits who kept moaning that if India had faced a full strength attack with Homesick Harami running in like The Next Ambrose (TM English media) and the other front line bowlers instead of Sidebottom and Anderson, England would have won the tests. Anderson's far better than crap, just merely inconsistent. The Agarkar comparison is nonsense; Anderson has a far superior bowling action and stamina, he's capable of getting good swing both ways with his action and has solid pace and just needs to learn what control and consistency are. But unlike Agarkar, he hasn't bowled his side to victory against Orstraya, and he lacks fire in the eyes, gas in the belly and fist pumping energy. AGGY AGGY AGGY. Hoggard would not have been missed as much, he's been declining slowly since the South African tour. Flintoff's the only bowler they would really have missed. Jones? Since when did he figure into a front line English attack post-05? He hasn't been near an English side since, so was never in contention in 06 or 07 when India toured.

Exactly' date=' I SAID Harmison didn't play in the series. Read the GD post. That word 'if' before Harmison indicates as much. [/quote'] Ok of course I read your GD post. That if statement can be taken in other ways also....as in..."if Dhoni had played with his usual gut instinct in the IPL final" (see what I mean? :-D) Yeah they missed Jones and Flintoff. You want good swing bowlers, theyre still one of the best for England (apart from Sidebottom). Anderson is nothing compared to them, period. See his stats for yourself (test match bowling results against each team) Australia 3 12 6.00 5 0/0 413 5 82.60 3/98 India 4 43 8.60 16 0/0 577 20 28.85 6/42 New Zealand 4 15 n/a 28 0/0 522 18 30.66 7/43 South Africa 6 27 27.00 21* 0/0 747 17 43.94 5/102 Sri Lanka 2 22 7.33 11 0/0 252 2 126.00 1/39 West Indies 3 23 11.50 12 0/0 219 7 31.28 4/88 Zimbabwe 2 16 n/a 12* 0/0 223 11 20.27 5/73

Good OP shwetabh. Winning is not something that goes down well with Indian fans. It almost embarasses them. They always have a tendency to qualify the wins by making excuses for the other team. I thought Sidebottom was pathetic but he has proved me wrong.