Bangladesh - world cup contenders?

gator

Bangladesh, this time reminds me a lot of the 1983 WC winning indian team.... the similarities are 1. india was a minnow then, but upset the windies in the warmup... Bangla is a minnow now and upset the kiwis who just whitewashed the top team.... 2. india had a flamboyant all-rounder in kapil dev.... bangla has mortaza, thoguh not in the same pedigree, but fast-improving.... 3. our bowling attack suited the conditions to a tee.... bangla's bowling attack which is predominantly spin suits the windies tracks.... so take a pick....

Re: Bangladesh - world cup contenders? I voted for "U Crazy". At best Bangladesh are capable of causing an upset. If they were that good they would have won few games prior the world cup. Those that quote "Sri Lanka" forget they had a good run in Pakistan and Australia prior world cup. Comparing India to Bangladesh is simply not on. India had already seasoned campaigners in their team. Cricket followers knew Gavaskar, Kapil Dev, Sandip Patil, Kirmani and few others. They were experienced enough. I can at best quote one or two decent players in Bangladesh that's about it. I give Bangladesh no chance in this world cup. The next world cup they may be a force to reckon with.

Re: Bangladesh - world cup contenders? actually we didn't win a warm up game against WI. it was an early round game i believe. we lost all warm up games including the one played against "minor counties" and srilanka according to srikkanth. but it is true that we were pretty much minnows in the ODI world till then. yes, if we could win in 83, anyone can win. now, i haven't seen this bangla team play yet, but yes they are a worry for us. can't wait for us to dispose them off.

Re: Bangladesh - world cup contenders? Gator, are you on DRUGS ? India in '83 weren't minnows; they were simply NEW to the ODI game and didn't have the experience of playing through 50 over innings at a fast pace. Compare the cricketers India had back then to what these flooded fools have now ! How the hell can you compare Amarnath, Gavaskar, Kapil Dev (LMFAO @ the comparison with Mortazza) Srikkanth, Shastri, etc. with the sh*tty cricketers they have ? Banglastan won't do anything against India. Similar things were said before the CT, as people predicted these fools to beat WI or SL. Nothing happened then, and things won't change this time either.

Re: Bangladesh - world cup contenders? hahahahaha.... take it easy, fellas.... till 1983, india had not won a single match against the test playing nations in the previous 2 WCs...... while Bangla had caused a few upset in its previous two..... it recently gave aussies a big scare when they toured on similar pitches..... i hate the WC for throwing up unexpected winners.... SL, pak, india, aus87... y do u guys think, it cant happen again..... we clearly know, our team was much better than windies when we toured them last yr... stilll we were beaten 4-1 or something.... i jus believe, the team who lifts the trophy will be the team who look like hyenas, not tigers... and bangla has jus tht.... batters to set 180-200 score, and slowly bowl spin after spin using mortaza to strike initially....

Re: Bangladesh - world cup contenders? biggest reason I think it wont happen this time is because of the FORMAT.. we wont have Quarter Final format like 96, where one upset win take you to miles.. this time you have to win consistently and in super 8 round you have to win atleast 3 out 7 games to have a chance.. and that is why teams like bangla and pak have no chance of going to semis..

Re: Bangladesh - world cup contenders? on other hand bangla can help other stronger teams in their cause, for example, by winning a game against SL or winning one or two games in super 8 games.. and throwing SL chances out.. but for them to reach semis is not possible..