This day Air Rhodes took off...

One of the greatest sights ever in a cricket match happened today. In the 1992 WC match between Pakistan and South Africa, Jonty Rhodes would run in from the deep point, grab the ball and flung on to the wicket, his body parallel to the ground, uprooting stumps before Inzamam could reach within the safety of his crease. It was something unbeleivable, hithreto not seen on cricket ground. Old timers would mention how Colin Bland was greatest outfielder, or Solkar the best up close..how Richards got all those run outs in 1975 finals..and how Sobers could catch everything that came his way..but it seems like the Granddaddy of them all, Jonty Rhodes, had arrived to take the contention of greatest fielder ever. 694-1833-2808-0_151602.jpg Scorecard http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wc2007/engine/match/65139.html

Re: This day Air Rhodes took off... Jonty is the most overrated fielder ever. I am not going to deny the fact that he is one of the greatest fielders to have played the game - however i do take issue with the way he is portrayed as some kind of "superman". Grand daddy of them all, my @ss. For starters, Roger Harper was a better fielder than Rhodes, as is Ricky Ponting. Rhodes was never that good at hitting the stumps consistently like Ponting does. I'd reckon even Andrew Symonds can match Rhodes in fielding ability.

Re: This day Air Rhodes took off...

Jonty is the most overrated fielder ever. I am not going to deny the fact that he is one of the greatest fielders to have played the game - however i do take issue with the way he is portrayed as some kind of "superman". Grand daddy of them all' date=' my @ss. For starters, Roger Harper was a better fielder than Rhodes, as is Ricky Ponting. Rhodes was never that good at hitting the stumps consistently like Ponting does. I'd reckon even Andrew Symonds can match Rhodes in fielding ability.[/quote'] You got to be kidding Predator. Jhonty Rhodes in my opinion is the best fielder to have fielded on the field on the international stage. His unbelievable athletic ability and agility has made him the most feared fielder in world cricket. He has the perfect dive towards left and right to stop singles and take difficult catches. When he field it's like having 2 other fielders to his side.

For starters, Roger Harper was a better fielder than Rhodes, as is Ricky Ponting.
Jonty : Super catcher (best non-slip catcher i've ever seen or heard of), Super outfielder, super returner. Ponting = worse in every aspect except returning and his returning is marginally better. Symonds = worse in every respect. Its not that Symonds, Ponting, Kaif, etc. can't be as good as Rhodes on their given day- just that for every 1 day these guys have at Rhode's level, Rhodes had 5 at the same level. If fielding could be quantified, Jonty would be Bradman- his consistency in brilliant fielding was just phenomenal.

Re: This day Air Rhodes took off... ponting is waaaay over-rated.... he is a very good fielder, but definitely not in the top 10 of my list.... Jonty is defintely the bradman of fielding..... i dont know, how many times u have seen jonty miss the stumps, cos i have never seen any......

Re: This day Air Rhodes took off... I rate Jonty very highly. I've see some catches he has taken, they were simply out of the world. Gibbs, Kaif, Vincent, Ponting and a couple others come close to him. As for India Kaif is probably the best fielder followed by the likes of Azhar, Jadeja, Yuvraj Singh and Robin Singh

Re: This day Air Rhodes took off... That was not in any order though CC. I think Azhar was top class, never saw him drop a catch. He was fantastic whether at slips or in the 30 yard circle. Jadeja was excellent too so is Yuvraj. I think Yuvraj is above Jadeja for me. If I reconstruct the order it will read Kaif, Azhar, Yuvraj, Jadeja and Robin Singh.

Re: This day Air Rhodes took off... Rhodes was the best. Ponting is only marginally better in throwing @ stumps.. but remember, jonty fielded at point, and hitting the stumps from point is really hard... u get just 1 stump to aim at.. but ive seen him do it.. symo is not even close to jonty.. rhodes = best fielder cricket has seen till date.

Re: This day Air Rhodes took off... Symmo is like Bevan or Dwayne Smith. They are really fast movers and divers but ordinary at everything else so they look real good to the casual observer. I am just surprised that Azhar is rated so highly here. I never saw an 80s Azhar but the Azhar i saw in the 90s was rock-solid but didnt seem as spectacularly solid as Yuvvy. I mean, Yes, Azhar was good,very steady hands and good anticipation but so too is Yuvvy and i never seen Azhar do the flying catches like Yuvvy.

Symmo is like Bevan or Dwayne Smith. They are really fast movers and divers but ordinary at everything else so they look real good to the casual observer. I am just surprised that Azhar is rated so highly here. I never saw an 80s Azhar but the Azhar i saw in the 90s was rock-solid but didnt seem as spectacularly solid as Yuvvy. I mean, Yes, Azhar was good,very steady hands and good anticipation but so too is Yuvvy and i never seen Azhar do the flying catches like Yuvvy.
That is the beauty Azhar made things look easy and Yuvi makes even decent catches spectacular. I was watching the game other day and thinking the same. Yuvi was fielding at point and a ball was hit with good force. The ball was heading towards Yuvi after one bounce and it would have taken all of one little step towards the right to stop the ball but Yuvi put in a spectacular dive. I was going, he could have stopped that ball just by staying low what was there a need to dive??? Yuvi is very good but at times there is more drama than it is required.