Australia in 1999 and India in 2007 - Uncanny resemblances

[came across this blog.. a good comparison which gives a bit of optimism... Australia in 1999 and India in 2007 - Uncanny resemblances I recently read Steve Waugh's autobiography. Rahul Dravid has written one of the forewords to the book. Waugh speaks warmly and with great admiration about Rahul Dravid. Dravid has tried to caste himself in Waugh's mould and probably resembles Waugh in his cricket more than any other current cricketer. He is unquestionably in the same class as batsman and competitor, has the same public image as Waugh did - that of a tough, hardworking, professional competitor - one not given to trappings of super-stardom. Dravid is as Indian as Waugh is Australian and i see that as another great similarity between the two. 2007 is Dravid's first (and possibly only) World Cup in charge, just as 1999 was Steve Waugh's. Dravid took over midway between the 2003 and 2007 editions, from an out of form Ganguly who was struggling as captain - with the results reflecting this. Ganguly went 9-20 against non-minnow opposition in the period after the World Cup leading up to his ouster. Waugh's predecessor was Mark Taylor - also out of form, also struggling as ODI captain. Australia had 4-13 record under Taylor's captaincy in the period after the 1996 World Cup until Taylor's ouster. Taylor's ouster was acrimonious, not least because it created two captains in Australia for the first time - Waugh being the ODI captain, and Taylor continuing as the Test captain. Ganguly's opinion about his ouster is well known. The Australians of 1999 were not the firm favorites to win the World Cup. That was Pakistan - with their crack bowling line up of Akram, Saqlain and Shoaib. Then, as now, the South Africans were a solid top line unit - ranked 1 in the World. Further more, Australia had made the 1996 final and been outclassed, just as India were in 2003. What does all this mean? In a word - nothing. The 2007 World Cup will still have to be played to be won. Mark Taylor did not return the the Australian ODI side like Ganguly has for India in 2007. The over all records of Australia 1996-1999 and India 2003-2007 are similar - Australia were 38-36, while India have managed a 53-50 record. The Australians at the start of the 1999 World Cup were better off, mainly because they had a better bowling line up than the Indians do in 2007 - McGrath and Warne were already great bowlers. I hope this post does not color your view of India at the World Cup, and i hope you don't start looking for parallels in every little event. However, i do hope that it gives you some perspective as to where this Indian side it right now in comparison to some of the sides of the past. The resemblances are uncanny, not least in the character of the leaders of these two sides. I hope it doesn't come to a point where Dravid has to play a Headingley style once in a life time innings to rescue India. One Day cricket has changed and 270 run chases are no longer a big deal. I also hope it doesn't come down to a tied Semifinal! But something tells me, that there is magic in store for us......

Re: Australia in 1999 and India in 2007 - Uncanny resemblances

Self delusion at its most grandiose.
atlleast it makes u feel good to read such things.. has a feel good factor in it..
This year belongs to NZ
do u still believe in it? :duh:
http://www.southasiabiz.com/2007/02/bangladesh_vs_australia_the_fi.html Bangladesh vs. Australia: The Final Match of ICC Cricket World Cup 2007!!!
this is the height of optimism for now... :lmao: :lmao:

Re: Australia in 1999 and India in 2007 - Uncanny resemblances

If India humliate Pakistan like Aussies did in 1999 that should be enough...
I happen to come across some of the posts in PP and found tht most of them are relishing the fact tht we were humiliated by aussies in 03 final.. they even dont care abt the humiliation they got from the aussies in 99 final.. Birbal,I request u to expand ur expectation list by incl aussies n saf along with pak in tht list.. not jus beating them,, it shud b a brutal assault like they have never got b4....it will b like a screaming orgasm then.....