Ponting Attacks Gavaskar...

Birbal3

For some fairly non-controversial things Sunny recently said... i.e. that Aussie behavior on the field and even off it...is among the worst in the world... everybody knows that... The most recent example was the shoving of Pawar off the dias... But the fact that it has touched a RAW NERVE with Ponting and he has gone BALLISTIC attacking an ICON of Indian cricket and the HEAD of the ICC Cricket Committee shows that it has HIT HOME... Btw, I wonder how many Indian players present and past will STAND BEHIND Sunny...the first Indian captain to have a WINNING Test Record... and to NOT LOSE a series IN Australia... I some how don't have high hopes...

This is pretty rude I think success had taken over ponting's head.... i hope this filthy bast@rd bites the dust in this WC... I sincerely pray this whole fukin team doesnt even go to the semis and get raped........ Ponting targets Gavaskar over behaviour Cricinfo staff March 12, 2007 Ricky Ponting said it was "high and mighty" of Sunil Gavaskar to complain about poor on-field behaviour as Australia's captain questioned his role in India's lack of recent Test success. Gavaskar said this week Australia's recent losses to England and New Zealand had "gladdened the hearts" of the game's followers. "There is not the slightest doubt that in the last decade or so the Aussies have been awesome in batting, bowling and fielding, which has taken them to the top of the cricketing ladder," Gavaskar, who regularly highlights Australia's poor behaviour, said. "But they have also been awful in the way they have sometimes behaved on the field much to the chagrin of the traditional fans of the game." Ponting, who will lead Australia in their opening World Cup game against Scotland on Wednesday, said teams that dominated for a long period did not have too many supporters and then targeted Gavaskar. "We all know the way he played his cricket, don't we?," Ponting said in The Australian. "If he is talking about us, what about the way India have played their cricket over the last few years?" India won three of 12 Tests last year while Australia were successful in their ten games. "I know who I would rather be going to watch," Ponting told the paper. "Have a look at how many Test matches they have won. He [Gavaskar] has been a big part of that, he has been a selector and he has been on the coaching committee. They might want to start to look at the way they play their own cricket rather than looking at us." Ponting admitted he had been reported "more than anybody" since becoming captain - he was found guilty of dissent twice in 2006 - but returned to Gavaskar and recalled his attempted walk-off at the MCG in 1980-81. "Given out lbw to Lillee, Gavaskar indicated that he had edged the ball on to his pad, and was so enraged that he wanted to forfeit the match, ordering his partner, Chauhan, to walk off with him," the Almanack reported. India's manager stopped Chetan Chauhan from leaving the field. "For him to go on about behaviour, not too many captains have dragged their teams off the field, either," Ponting said. "I don't mind if 'Mr Perfect' comes out and goes on about our team, I know we are all not perfect. We are not going to keep everyone happy 100% of the time. But for some of these guys that have done it all themselves, it's pretty high and mighty for them to say that."

Re: Ponting Attacks Gavaskar...

whatz rude? Well Gavaskar stated the fact, but i think its all over now and Sunny shouldn't have started this topic all over again during this auspicious occasion of wc... but then it can be media goof up too
well gavaskar dint say anything wrong.. he pointed out this barbarian behavior of the aussies.. ponting shud have instead tried to defend his way of playing rather than accusing gavaskar of his behavior.. hes showing the signs of a cheap politician..... anyway its good tht he said such things.. cuz especially in cricket, ppl pay for their off field rude statments.. and its gonna hit bak at pontiny very hard...( thts by not making to the finals r semis.. ) i hope it seriously does happpen...

Re: Ponting Attacks Gavaskar... Well this actually is great for the World cup and I suppose a repeat finals or the game between India and Austrlia will be a good hot affiar now that Ponting has spoken. Gavaskar often has touched the Aussies nerves by his comments that won't really please the Aussies. It is not a great match up the Gavaskar v Ponting though considering Ponting loses his marbles more often than not. It's a good thing this one for the rivalry. I hope India comes one up in the contest.

Re: Ponting Attacks Gavaskar... While Gavaskar is right about the Aussie behavior, he must not have gone on the way he did, unnecessarily, esp, when there was no clear reason to do so at this time. (If these comments had come on the back of some context, it would have been much more easy to justify them) The problem is that when u make comments like that, u either must be a spotless personality or u have to expect to cop some in return. I was always wary of Aussies retaliating back at Sunny for two things: His all time slowest ODI innings & his infamous walkout incident, both of which were against the spirit of the game. The Pawar incident was outright rude, but in this instance, to an extent Gavaskar asked for it

Re: Ponting Attacks Gavaskar... Gavaskar comes across as a bit whiny, and that would put people off. Yes, we are all well aware of the kind of scumbags that have represented Australia over the years, we know all about the indecency and insubordination associated with their cricketing culture, we all know your stance on sledging and how you think it's killing the spirit of the game. He has become a broken record and beats these issues to death, which is precisely why no one can be bothered to take notice anymore.

Re: Ponting Attacks Gavaskar... No matter how obnoxious Punter is , he is actually right in this particluar case. Since when did Gavasker become moral compass for good behaviour. I would understand if Vishwanath or Amarnath had said this. Everybody knows that Sunny is no saint or Mr Perfect either. And some of his own teammates like Kapil Dev found Gavasker obnoxious. Can't say the same about Punter.

Re: Ponting Attacks Gavaskar...

He [Gavaskar] has been a big part of that, he has been a selector and he has been on the coaching committee. They might want to start to look at the way they play their own cricket rather than looking at us."
Great knowledge Ponting!! Even I, being a follower of Indian cricket, didn't know about these facts!!