Dhoni is a poor test match player!

you see wat msb had posted earlier...33.76 is a good average for a wicketkeeper...Ok thats a reasonable point. But him being bracketed with all those great players is bull shyte.
True, Dhoni is not a test "great" by any means but is an excellent wicket keeper batsman.
It seems everyone is ecstatic about his performances in tests. It seems he has the indian public firmly behind him. I thought questions may be asked after not making even one fifty in the oz test series. Clearly not he has a very loyal following. Must already be the greatest keeper our lands have seen. No chance of Parthiv or Karthick replacing him no matter what they do, merley keeping the seat warm. Dhoni it seems is irrerplacable. Just a question of when not if Mr Dhoni becomes test captain with such loyal followers!
:two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up: attaboy. Nothing's gonna stop us now! :yay:
It seems everyone is ecstatic about his performances in tests. It seems he has the indian public firmly behind him. I thought questions may be asked after not making even one fifty in the oz test series. Clearly not he has a very loyal following. Must already be the greatest keeper our lands have seen. No chance of Parthiv or Karthick replacing him no matter what they do, merley keeping the seat warm. Dhoni it seems is irrerplacable. Just a question of when not if Mr Dhoni becomes test captain with such loyal followers!
we appreciate talent when we see one..if that classifies as worshipers then so be it :two_thumbs_up:

I never rated him that highly as a test cricketer either. As funny as dsr might sound, there is a bit of truth to what he is saying. Dhoni is far too overrated by the Indian media and public alike - sure, he is a fine ODI cricketer but in tests he has been above average at best. Initially he was touted as some kind of Indian Adam Gilchrist but he hasn't come close to justifying the hype, even though his 'keeping has improved immensely. More Mark Boucher than Adam Gilchrist. His batting is passable, but Karthik is the better batsman of the two. It's amazing how quickly people forgot about him. Unfortunately for Dinesh, Dhoni's stature as an ODI cricketer (and captain), the immense amount of support he enjoys from the seniors and the media means he will be a permanent fixture in the Indian XI for years to come.

Predz, I personally find it baffling that a lot of posters including you have forgotten the nightmare and misery that was inflicted upon India by Parthiv. First things first, we need a good keeper. That has to be non negotiable. It was crazy fans and the loony media which hyped Dhoni up as a Gilchrist. Gilchrist is a once a generation or even rarer player. But in his own right, Dhoni is the best wicket keeper in India by a fair distance and is not a bad test bad - very capable of ending up with an average in the 35-40 range.

Predz' date=' I personally find it baffling that a lot of posters including you have forgotten the nightmare and misery that was inflicted upon India by Parthiv. First things first, we need a good keeper. That has to be non negotiable. It was crazy fans and the loony media which hyped Dhoni up as a Gilchrist. Gilchrist is a once a generation or even rarer player. But in his own right, Dhoni is the best wicket keeper in India by a fair distance and is not a bad test bad - very capable of ending up with an average in the 35-40 range.[/quote'] I never even mentioned Parthiv. We've discussed all this before. The reason why Dhoni was picked in the first place was because of his batting. Sure, his 'keeping has improved a lot given how poor it used to be at first but conversely, nobody would have thought that he would be averaging 33 after he made his debut back in '05. I'd like to see Dhoni average 40, at the very least. After all, isn't he the future of Indian batting ? If so, i am not asking for too much. He will the one many of us will count on to score runs once the veterans call it quits. I am sure that his average will go up once he takes over as captain, but at this point in time, he is very much an average test batsman and an average test cricketer who isn't in that XI entirely on merit.

Trust me ignore Bangalore. Karthicks glove work is good. He will prove this in SL. His keeping is natuarl while Dhonis is manufactured. Dhonis glove work can be poor at times, annoying is when fileders through it in to him and he lazily puts a token hand out often to stop it. Often lazily missing it and leaving it to fielder backing up to stop it. Seems he is always tired! Further 33 avergae and 1 test tonis a poor return in modern test cricket for a player having such an extended run in test side. Even an average of 40 is just about acceptable these days! Good posts by preds. I also believe Karthick is superior bat. Like you said quick how easily people forget. He opened the batting in england and played a big role in us winning the series! Dhoni is not in team purely on merit, which is not fair and needs to be examined why this is!

Trust me ignore Bangalore. Karthicks glove work is good. He will prove this in SL. His keeping is natuarl while Dhonis is manufactured.
How can you hold that against Dhoni? Results are what matters, not methods.
Dhonis glove work can be poor at times' date=' annoying is when fileders through it in to him and he lazily puts a token hand out often to stop it. Often lazily missing it and leaving it to fielder backing up to stop it. Seems he is always tired![/quote'] Is 'always', the last few months, in which he has actually been tired.
Further 33 avergae and 1 test tonis a poor return in modern test cricket for a player having such an extended run in test side. Even an average of 40 is just about acceptable these days!
For a batsman, not a wicket keeper and a fine one at that. For a wicket keeper, an average over 30 is what is acceptable.
Good posts by preds. I also believe Karthick is superior bat. Like you said quick how easily people forget. He opened the batting in england and played a big role in us winning the series!
Karthik averages 23.93 batting at seven, he is stronger opening the batting but is not fantastic lower down the order.