Olympics 2008

SachDan

Another amazing Olympic story - little Montenegro, competing in it's first ever summer olympics, tied the mighty Hugarians 10-10 in water polo. The Hungarians are a legendary water polo team; they have reigned supreme in the sport for a long time and are currently going for their third consecutive gold medal. Montenegro wiped out a 7-4 deficit and were actually leading with 34 seconds left, well on their way to causing one of the greatest upsets in this year's games, until Hungary equalised to make it 10-10.

Saw a few minutes of the 4th Quarter of the game between U.S and China. U.S.A were simply too good for the Chinese. The American zone defense was just too hard to penetrate and their counter attack was much quicker than the Chinese. Some of the Chinese were big guys, but you could see the difference in athleticism between the two teams.

American gymnast Alex Artemev at yesterday night's gymnastics qualification; [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1XZr92uUY]YouTube - Alexander Artemev Pommel Horse 2008 Olympics[/ame] Mindblowing. And you don't even need to know a thing about gymnastics to appreciate that move - the strength in controlling and managing body weight, the flawless transistions, the momentum...wow. That was the best score achieved by an American in the gymnastics yesterday. If you think that was amazing, you will be shocked to know that the Chinese did it even better.

Finishes third. Conserving energy, qualifies for the finals, job done. Peter Vanderkaay, another talented American swimmer, finished first. These two will be dueling for the 200m, but Phelps is in a league of his own and i wouldn't be surprised if he set another WR like he did 4 years ago. He has already wiped Ian Thorpe (the Aussie who used to own this race) off the record board. Yesterday's Korean gold medal medalist Park also made it

I just watched the greatest swimming race EVER. 1x400m relay, USA vs France. USA trailing with the last 100m remaining and France's Alain Bernard - the man who destroyed the 50m sprint record a few months ago and the team's BEST swimmer - lept into the pool to take over the lead. The green line, an indicator of the world record, was already trailing behind the French and the Americans, and much to astonishment of all present - both teams were closing in on a world record. What followed was an olympic moment which will be remembered forever. As Bernard began the final 100m of the race, The NBC commentator lamented, "Bernard...that guy can FLY..." soon followed by "Well, the US can still get silver..." as Bernard finished the first 50m, all set to lead France to a triumphant victory. Jason Lezak, a veteran 32 year old swimmer, a great but relatively unknown competitor, in 2nd place towing the USA's flagging hopes, but well behind the giant Frenchman. With 25m remaining for the final push, Lezak closed in. Suddenly, time slowed, the atmosphere reached fever pitch...what was happening ? The monster Bernard looked to slowing down and an absolutely incredible surge was beginning to gain momentum. Lezak kept gaining, gaining, gaining, gaining on him...the crowd erupted, commentators driven into a frenzy, the audience buzzing, Lezak was level with Bernard with about 5m remaining and finallly, the CLIMAX - finishing ahead of Bernard by 8 100ths of a second. Yes, that close. The crowd went wild, Phelps - the best swimmer on the team and the one i've been raving about non-stop, went crazy, celebrating the victory as emphatically as he will celebrate any of his own gold medals. You could feel the adrenaline. Movie-script material, i swear. WOW. Prior to the race, Bernard, on behalf of his team had boasted, "We're going to smash the Americans. That's what we are here for". The outcome of the race was a wicked surprise and the look of sheer, unbridled joy on the faces of the American champions will haunt him for the rest of his life. Go choke on a baguette, you French pr1ck. This is why the Olympics are worth watching. I really pity anyone who misses moments like these...you don't know what you are missing. I just collected one more warm, sporting memory to keep with me forever.

That was one hell of a race and I was rooting for France since they had never won this event at the olympics (this event has been dominated by Australia & USA). Lezak's 100 metre lap in 46.06 seconds is the fastest ever one ever recorded. One thing I can't understand though is how could 5 teams beat the world record mark in the same race. I mean teams like Italy & Sweden aren't exactly powerhouses in the pool ... how could they swim under the existing mark? This was one of the best races I've ever seen, on par with the 4 x 100 metres freestyle relay at Sydney 2000 when Ian Thorpe did to Gary Hall what Lezak did to Bernard today. Before the race the American had promised to smash the Aussies like guitars. Also the 200 metres freestyle race at Athens 2004 was pretty memorable with Thorpe, Phelps & Van Den Hoogenband going head to head.

Phelps swims yet another flawless race in the 200m freestyle to win his 3rd medal of the games, 9th overall - tying Carl Lewis' and Paavo Nurmi's record for most gold medals ever won in an olympic career. He will become the greatest Olympian of all-time once he finishes at these games !

American gymnast Alex Artemev at yesterday night's gymnastics qualification; YouTube - Alexander Artemev Pommel Horse 2008 Olympics Mindblowing. And you don't even need to know a thing about gymnastics to appreciate that move - the strength in controlling and managing body weight, the flawless transistions, the momentum...wow. That was the best score achieved by an American in the gymnastics yesterday. If you think that was amazing, you will be shocked to know that the Chinese did it even better.
The Chinese seemed to have clinched the gold in the Men's Team Gymnastics. They were simply superb. Their upper body strength was visible compared to the others.

The Chinese seemed to have clinched the gold in the Men's Team Gymnastics. They were simply superb. Their upper body strength was visible compared to the others.
AND THE USA WON THE BRONZE !!!!!!!!!! What an achievement. The Hamm brothers - the country's best gymnasts and gold medalists from Athens - had pulled out and this rag-tag team was NEVER expected to finish ahead of the Russians, the Germans or the Koreans. But they DID, and against ALL THE ODDS. Sensational. Artemev did the same routine as he did the other day on the pommel horse - another impeccable routine. That led to the Germans needing an impossibly high score to dislodge the Americans from 3rd place and they couldn't produce the goods. Really pleased for the USA and Raj...that bronze is worth gold if you really think about it

The Sydney Olympics ran out. Athens doubled the number. So organizers of the Beijing Games are hoping 100,000 condoms will satisfy the needs of Olympic athletes. While sex is not an Olympic sport, it is expected to be an activity in the Beijing village housing 10,500 athletes, all of whom are in great shape and with plenty of free time on their hands once knocked out of the Games. Athletes have received free condoms at every Olympics since Barcelona in 1992 to help raise awareness of AIDS, and Beijing is no exception. Ole Hansen, spokesman for UNAIDS China, said the number available at Beijing was based on previous Games' experience and in keeping with previous Olympics would be available at medical centers at athletes' centers in Beijing, Qingdao and Hong Kong rather than put in rooms. At Athens in 2004 about 130,000 condoms were distributed.