Olympics 2008

SachDan

I just watched the greatest swimming race EVER. 1x400m relay, USA vs France. USA trailing with the last 100m remaining and France's Alain Bernard - the man who destroyed the 50m sprint record a few months ago and the team's BEST swimmer - lept into the pool to take over the lead. The green line, an indicator of the world record, was already trailing behind the French and the Americans, and much to astonishment of all present - both teams were closing in on a world record. What followed was an olympic moment which will be remembered forever. As Bernard began the final 100m of the race, The NBC commentator lamented, "Bernard...that guy can FLY..." soon followed by "Well, the US can still get silver..." as Bernard finished the first 50m, all set to lead France to a triumphant victory. Jason Lezak, a veteran 32 year old swimmer, a great but relatively unknown competitor, in 2nd place towing the USA's flagging hopes, but well behind the giant Frenchman. With 25m remaining for the final push, Lezak closed in. Suddenly, time slowed, the atmosphere reached fever pitch...what was happening ? The monster Bernard looked to slowing down and an absolutely incredible surge was beginning to gain momentum. Lezak kept gaining, gaining, gaining, gaining on him...the crowd erupted, commentators driven into a frenzy, the audience buzzing, Lezak was level with Bernard with about 5m remaining and finallly, the CLIMAX - finishing ahead of Bernard by 8 100ths of a second. Yes, that close. The crowd went wild, Phelps - the best swimmer on the team and the one i've been raving about non-stop, went crazy, celebrating the victory as emphatically as he will celebrate any of his own gold medals. You could feel the adrenaline. Movie-script material, i swear. WOW. Prior to the race, Bernard, on behalf of his team had boasted, "We're going to smash the Americans. That's what we are here for". The outcome of the race was a wicked surprise and the look of sheer, unbridled joy on the faces of the American champions will haunt him for the rest of his life. Go choke on a baguette, you French pr1ck. This is why the Olympics are worth watching. I really pity anyone who misses moments like these...you don't know what you are missing. I just collected one more warm, sporting memory to keep with me forever.
This was the finest race I've ever seen!! Each 100 m had a different leader! 4x100 freestyle relay, 2008 Olympics

USA finishes FIVE SECONDS AHEAD of the WORLD RECORD ! What a performance. Sheer domination. They have been irresistibly good in these Olympics. In a league of their own, to put it mildly. Phelps' baggage is going to be weighed down with all these gold medals
Is Phelps' time in the first leg considered a seperate world record too ?

Yes, he was there. He currently holds 5 gold medals from 5 events. 11 gold medals in total

Is Phelps' time in the first leg considered a seperate world record too ?
No, he fell short of his own personal best and the WR. After the race, he talked about how disappointed he was with that effort. Apparently, there was something wrong with his goggles; they got filled up with water and he couldn't see anything.

In the last 15 minutes China have won 2 more golds in Women's shooting & Men's synchronized diving. There is still a long way to go and American's will win a lot of medal in the track & field events, but I feel they will finish second to China in the Gold medal tally for the first time in history.

In the last 15 minutes China have won 2 more golds in Women's shooting & Men's synchronized diving. There is still a long way to go and American's will win a lot of medal in the track & field events' date=' but I feel they will finish second to China in the Gold medal tally for the first time in history.[/quote'] Don't think so....track n field will get America ahead of China.

Wow. Bernard causes something of an upset by beating Sullivan in the 100m free. Lezak and Cesar Cielo tied for bronze !! Bernard finally winning something for France. 30 year old van den Hoogenband's best days are well behind him now, as he finished 5th. BTW, is it just me or is Bernard incredibly muscular for a swimmer ? The guy is built more like a weightlifter than a swimmer. Sure as hell, the biggest swimmer i have ever seen, a monster. Dare i say the S word ? Swimmers aren't supposed to have those muscles xin_182030523094520307011.jpgalainbernard_wideweb__470x258,0.jpg