Is it true that in Mumbai Housing societies segregrate based on religion ?

Texy

this article came to my attention: It's shocking, but true. When Saif Ali Khan thought of buying a new house, he made a conscious decision that he would not approach a Hindu housing society - for fear of being rejected. That's a superstar of the country talking. Our sources in the construction industry say that Saif did approach a few Hindu housing societies and was rejected - despite being a superstar. Saif, however, says that he went straight to a Muslim builder to buy his dream house. “I know there are localities and building societies that won't sell real estate to anyone who's a Muslim. I didn't want to get involved in that problem. I went to a Muslim builder to avoid complications.†Saif insists that the problem of communal segregation is very real in Mumbai. “And it's not restricted to building societies, it's there in society in general. It's common knowledge that in certain areas of Juhu and Bandra land and houses are not sold to Muslims. I'm constantly surprised by how much religion matters to some people here. Perceptions of religion are always based on experience or fanaticism. Some elements have spoilt things for the entire community. That's the sad truth about Islam.†He has bought a 4-BHK apartment in La Beau in Bandra. Saif's dad is a Muslim, and mom a Hindu. “I've been brought up to believe in the oneness of God. In some places He is known as Jesus. In other places He is known as Bhagwan or Allah. And in some places He is known as Shah Rukh Khan.†Reacting to the extremist diktat that none of the Khans including Saif must act in Hindi films, Saif says, “I'd rather get shot than not do a shot! I'd have a tough time finding another job. There's nothing I can do apart from act.†source apparently in muslim dominated areas....Hindus are not allowed to rent or lease properties and are refused simply because they are hindus.....is that true also??

Utter Bullshit!!! The paper fails to say how there are two places in Mumbai where a Mandir faces a Maszid? In Andheri West there is a place called Mandir-Maszid. There is a little temple right opposite to a small maszid. Its amazing how Hindus and Muslims live in Harmony there. They are very good friends and in the evening they come out, Muslims do namaz and Hindus do Aarti/pooja etc. Then they come out, get mixed up immediately. Its a sight worth seeing. Both the temple and the maszid are very small in size and those who say their prayers there actually sit and stand outside the madir and the maszid. The road that separates them is narrow. Two cars would somehow manage to pass on that. So the Hindus and the Muslims actually say their prayers sitting very close to each other. There are several churchs that are frequented by both Hindus and Muslims. The Mount Mary church is one. Even Hindus strongly believe that if you say a prayer in true faith there, it is heard. Muslims, Hindus and Christians go there together. There are several dargahs that followers of both religions attend. The Mahim Dargah is one. The biggest flaw in the above article are the quotes from Saif. Even if he faces a problem like that, he would never give a statement.

Oh jeez, another foiled wrap news..ask the poeople who live there Matter of acquaintance and coincdence I would see a Hindu doctor or buidler coz I know more of them! Simple, most posh muslims or hindus dont care abt this, especially in bandra ( where I come from too )

apparently in muslim dominated areas....Hindus are not allowed to rent or lease properties and are refused simply because they are hindus.....is that true also??
People of a certain religion do like to live close to each other. Thats normal. There are certain societies where the Muslims are in majority. But the key word is majority. And that majority would be something like 70%. The rest of the 30% would be Hindus.

Guest Hiten.
Oh jeez, another foiled wrap news..ask the poeople who live there Matter of acquaintance and coincdence I would see a Hindu doctor or buidler coz I know more of them! Simple, most posh muslims or hindus dont care abt this, especially in bandra ( where I come from too )
My family doctor in India was a muslim lady. Heck, her father use to be my grandpa's doctor. There was a building complex right in front of my colony which comprised of 6-7 buildings which comprised of Muslims. This news article is similar to the "Is Sehwag great yet" where the author claims that just because Sehwag is a 'jat' he is not respected by most of the Indian cricket followers (who apparently love Brahman players).

Guest Hiten.
^^abbe' date=' you dont live in Mumbai - you live in some remote corner of the outskirts of the suburbs of suburban Mumbai :D[/quote'] Chup kar kamine

Even though the place where I hail from is deemed as communally sensitive, I have had several muslim friends & neighbors. We played and grew up together. They joined us during diwali and Ganesh puja celebration and we joined them during Id. This may sound like a fantasy to somebody who knows Gujarat for wrong reasons, but it is actually true. I think newspapers and media should stop publishing such BS. It does no good and instead divides INDIA further on basis of religion.

Guest dada_rocks

it is old story in islamic rulers days it was law where no impure infidel cud live in pure believers area.. Sam tradition continues albeit tacitly without legislation... Go to any town there are this or that dominated area and for person of opposite belief it's not only hard to find accomodation .. I guess if u love your life it's better not to do that anyway .. god knows on what issue some riot wil break out.. no doubt there are some region where coexistance is stil practiced and celebrated but they are far and few...

when I was a kid growing up in Kolkata, there is a area called "park circus" where 90% residents are muslims I believe. We use to hear patakas and other fireworks going off when India used to lose to pak in the 90s...also wierdly a lot of riots in Kolkata use to originate from there... so ya I agree, in India I think people are still quite alienated/isolated within their community in most areas barring few......hope with more education things will change in the future.

this article came to my attention: apparently in muslim dominated areas....Hindus are not allowed to rent or lease properties and are refused simply because they are hindus.....is that true also??
VERY TRUE! There is an area called Millat Nagar -- located between Oshiwara and Lokhandwala Complex. It's a 100% Muslim ONLY society. Moreover, it is not that some poor and low educated people live here who because of low education want to create an Ummah ghetto. This area is one of the costliest areas in Andheri. The people buying flats here are rich and influencial mostly with good jobs or business in Gulf countries or even US/Europe returns. Thing is you approach the society secretary or estate agent for buying flat here, and you will be rejected straight away if you are not Muslim. Point here is Well Educated and Rich Muslims do this, so the arguement that education or richness can bring Muslims closer to Hindus is an oxymoron at least in this case. By the way, not only Non-Muslims, even Millat Nagar society wants only Sunnis to occupy the housing complex, those Shias are also descriminated. Same way there is a Shia only society at J.P. Road, next to Sony Mony show Room apposite Andheri Sports complex, building name is Cheval Classic or something. A Muslim estate agent whom I know, tells that it's Shia only society.

Guest dada_rocks

Due to this segregation property price in muslim dominated area is less but to bad you can't buy that as a hindu and I would exhort you not to unless you love to harakiri.. Talking of segregation: heck in certain societies even veg/non-veg segregation eists........I am liberal guy in these matters because I am non-veg but imagine a pure vegetarian's plight in his views my methods in matters of food is downright deplorable and they can't stand the sight of it..So if they not allow me in their bastion I can understand........ I guess upto some extent even hindu muslim segregation has sothg to do with meat( beef) eating..

That's true...not just on the basis of religion but also Region and language. In Mumbai there are lot of societies based on religions.... In Delhi ...you will find Bengali,Garhwali,Punjabi societies..... Really sad...people miss out a great opportunity to get to know people of other cultures. Guess it's their loss!