Ranji Trophy, Super League, 2008-09

Chandan

Thats because the bulk of pace is not generated from the chest and shoulders but rather hips' date=' abdomen, and torsoe ... thats why guys like Steyn and Lee bowl quicker than guys like Symonds and Kallis ... its all about momentum at the crease and having a quick arm action and using your abdominal muscles and hips to generate the pace ... Another example are guys like Sreesanth and Ishant Sharma ... easily the skinniest pace bowler in our current crop but they still bowl much quicker than guys like Zaheer and Pathan.[/quote'] The way I understand it; the use of mass is all dependent on bowling style. Someone who leaps all over the place and has a very dynamic action will benefit from being lighter and more flexible. This is not to say that strength hinders flexibility but bulkiness certainly does. Someone like Jacques Kallis who shoulders the ball down will benefit from a lot of mass though as his style is based around getting the weight behind the ball and powering the ball down. It must be noted that muscle mass does not have a direct relationship with explosive strength, as explosive strength is related in large part to flexibility and core strength. Someone with a strong core will not have a massive core muscles (abs, obliques, etc), but rather well defined core muscles, as an example. Shoaib Akhtar is the perfect example of explosive strength being generated from flexibility. Akhtar is a medical marvel in that he has extremely flexible joints, not just the hyperextention, but all over his body - it is a mystery to many that he could stay fit for as long as he did. Another component of explosive strength are the 'fast-twitch' muscles. Fast twitch are good for explosive strength such as a sprint whereas slow twitch for a marathon - this is a ratio which varies from person to person. Shoaib Akhtar has actually quite a high ratio of slow twitch muscles, which is why I believe he has to run in all that way to build up momentum in the run up. You note that pace is generated from the core rather than the chest and shoulders, but I believe that this is largely dependent on the style also, although your thinking does tend to comply with modern thinking. I believe a front on bowler will use his chest and shoulders far more than the core with vice versa for a side on bowler. However, the core does remain vital, as you noted. The importance of the action need not be neglected either, a large portion of the quickest bowlers of all time have ticked the right boxes in terms of biomechanics. It is no coincidence that this has been true over time, even when biomechanics was a mere empirical science. Ignoring unorthodox actions like Malinga or Tait for a moment, Sreesanth tends to bowl quicker than Zaheer because the action allows more power; he runs in faster, has a more useful jump and a more powerful release position, if I may oversimplify for a moment. Zaheer still bowls the odd ball at 144kph though, when he manages to reach a very strong release position, though he lacks the consistency in action to do this often nor the stamina to keep up pace. As for RDB (Ranadeb Bose, I assume), his problem is that he restricts his arm movements in an attempt to increase accuracy and strength of the seam position. I have no doubt that he could bowl 130kph if he so wished, but he feels his accuracy and seam position would suffer and so neglects in doing so.
Mohnish parmar is a good bowler his record is awesome
he is under chucking cloud- why on earth any one should model themselves on Muralitharan? he is the most controversial off spinner in cricket. has a very chucky action. this Parmar guy says i have modeled my action from my formative years on Murali, i cant change now, blah, blah. this is what happens whn ICC allows the 15 degree rule.now, there will be a chucker in every team.already Harbhajan gets tarnished with his doosra.
Manee? Who are the other fast medium bowlers in India for whom I see potential. Hmm, that is a tough one, tbh, I haven't seen enough of them bowl. I'd like to see Gony groomed into an international prospect but any sort of thinking which claims he is ready now is plain wrong. Gony visibly looks a talented bowler, the only issue I can see is a lack of power in the delivery, it all seems very soft, Tremlett-esque. In a few years, he'd definitely be one to try in the shorter format, as his record in the longer form of the game is poor. Hoping that injuries have not ruined what pace he had in the World T20, I'd like to see Joginder Sharma one day in the ODI team. As Munaf Patel has shown, pace is not everything in ODI cricket. I thought he looked a solid bowler in the World T20 and the issue was that he was bowling a good length at an easy pace; easy to slog but potentially dangerous in the middle overs when batsmen are looking to push ones and twos. I haven't seen him bowl too much but think that AK Argal, the U19 medium pace bowler is a possible OD talent. He does not display blistering pace (which, for U19s is about 135-140kph, he seems closer 125kph) and yet still kept that economy at 2.91 whilst taking wickets at 12.75 apiece. Tbh, despite being keen on spotting talents, I most of the time believe that domestic records should be the primary indicator for selection consideration and absolutely detest FC stats being rewarded with a spot in the ODI team. OD stats for ODI players and FC stats for Test players, seems simple but often ignored and means that a lot of FC stars are squandered after a few ODIs. Take a look at JP Duminy's cricinfo page, he has a superb FC record and has just played one of the best Test innings of all time. However, he was tried in ODIs before and was possibly soon going to be discarded, despite never being a good OD player in domestic cricket. It was only the injury to Prince which gave him his spot.
What happened to Ian Pont's claim of Atul Sharma being world's fatstest bowler. He has not given any clear evidence about it yet.
Isn't he definitely better than Badri? Should definitely be our standby opener..
yeah! has a great technique n temperament.will be our standby opener for NZ. regarding badri,i dont think he should go to NZ unless he has done very well there on A tours.i'm not sure about that. but i think we should invest in rohit.he has talent,compact technique n most importatly has age on his side
The way I understand it; the use of mass is all dependent on bowling style. Someone who leaps all over the place and has a very dynamic action will benefit from being lighter and more flexible. This is not to say that strength hinders flexibility but bulkiness certainly does. Someone like Jacques Kallis who shoulders the ball down will benefit from a lot of mass though as his style is based around getting the weight behind the ball and powering the ball down. It must be noted that muscle mass does not have a direct relationship with explosive strength, as explosive strength is related in large part to flexibility and core strength. Someone with a strong core will not have a massive core muscles (abs, obliques, etc), but rather well defined core muscles, as an example. Shoaib Akhtar is the perfect example of explosive strength being generated from flexibility. Akhtar is a medical marvel in that he has extremely flexible joints, not just the hyperextention, but all over his body - it is a mystery to many that he could stay fit for as long as he did. Another component of explosive strength are the 'fast-twitch' muscles. Fast twitch are good for explosive strength such as a sprint whereas slow twitch for a marathon - this is a ratio which varies from person to person. Shoaib Akhtar has actually quite a high ratio of slow twitch muscles, which is why I believe he has to run in all that way to build up momentum in the run up. You note that pace is generated from the core rather than the chest and shoulders, but I believe that this is largely dependent on the style also, although your thinking does tend to comply with modern thinking. I believe a front on bowler will use his chest and shoulders far more than the core with vice versa for a side on bowler. However, the core does remain vital, as you noted. The importance of the action need not be neglected either, a large portion of the quickest bowlers of all time have ticked the right boxes in terms of biomechanics. It is no coincidence that this has been true over time, even when biomechanics was a mere empirical science. Ignoring unorthodox actions like Malinga or Tait for a moment, Sreesanth tends to bowl quicker than Zaheer because the action allows more power; he runs in faster, has a more useful jump and a more powerful release position, if I may oversimplify for a moment. Zaheer still bowls the odd ball at 144kph though, when he manages to reach a very strong release position, though he lacks the consistency in action to do this often nor the stamina to keep up pace. As for RDB (Ranadeb Bose, I assume), his problem is that he restricts his arm movements in an attempt to increase accuracy and strength of the seam position. I have no doubt that he could bowl 130kph if he so wished, but he feels his accuracy and seam position would suffer and so neglects in doing so.
I have heard about a mumbai fast bowler named Rahil Shaikh. he came to limelight via the cricketstar show of Zee and now playing for Mumbai in ranji, has taken 9 wickets in first 2 matches. In cricketstar show he was clocked at 142 kph. he is tall 6 foot 4 and bulky but bowls quick as I have heard. He is a left arm fast bowler.
I have heard about a mumbai fast bowler named Rahil Shaikh. he came to limelight via the cricketstar show of Zee and now playing for Mumbai in ranji' date=' has taken 9 wickets in first 2 matches. In cricketstar show he was clocked at 142 kph. he is tall 6 foot 4 and bulky but bowls quick as I have heard. He is a left arm fast bowler.[/quote'] Fallen out of form since then though which is a bit of a shame and will likely miss out to Zaheer Khan in the semi-finals. Promises of 140kph are often pretty minor too since it is often a top speed which is only visible in the nets or in a T20.

Aaao Mumbai aao We will rock you!! Semi finals will be awesome. I hope they make it 5 day affairs. Saurashtra v/s Mumbai in Chennai (hope its not flat track) and hope Neo shows it. Hope Tendulkar rests :--D:--D:--D Saurashtra is one of the most improved team, few years back they were in bottom rug and corruption was taking the toll. In came guys like Pujara, Jadeja and company and fortune changed.

Sachin n Zak shudnt b playing... i think the current Mumbai players deserve to play in the finals as they have done the hardwork so far.... I dont think Mumbai need zak and sachin to win this trophy..
Yes the current corp deserve to play, but with Sachin back the morale of the team will be sky rocketing and more so for Sach fans like us, it will be one more occassion to witness the mastero at work, coz NZ is far away !!!
regarding badri,i dont think he should go to NZ unless he has done very well there on A tours.i'm not sure about that. but i think we should invest in rohit.he has talent,compact technique n most importatly has age on his side
uhm......last 3 matches..... 92*, 18, 121, 123 ..... is that not good enough for you, brah? :whack: