We didn?t allow the pressure to sit on us

- Sourav Ganguly reflects on the 2003 World Cup LOKENDRA PRATAP SAHI 'It could be, yes? So, it?s important for me to finish it (World Cup) on a high? I?ve already gone on record that we?ve got the team to make the semi-finals, at least. After that, who knows?' ON THIS ALMOST SURELY BEING HIS LAST WORLD CUP Calcutta: With Team India?s first match of the 2007 World Cup just hours away, there?s an enormous emotional connect with the last edition. We lost to Australia in the final, but that tournament gave many moments of joy. The man in the hot seat then, Sourav Ganguly, went back in time for the benefit of The Telegraph?s readers. The following are excerpts On a hattrick of World Cups As in the past, I?m looking to perform? Looking to perform under pressure? The tournament?s name is different? It?s held once in four years, but the game doesn?t change? For example, match situations won?t change because it?s the World Cup? I?m excited? I?m happy that I could fight my way back? On the 2003 World Cup-related thoughts which instantly come to mind (Emotionally) That we played as a team? That we wanted each other to succeed? That we wanted the team to succeed? The bowlers had been terrific? (Jawagal Srinath) Sri, Ashish Nehra? (Zaheer Khan) Zak? The emphatic manner in which we won nine matches (eight in succession) brings back great memories. [sourav?s men only lost twice ? both times to Australia.] On what made that team gel, more so as the last series before the World Cup (in New Zealand) had been a disaster The collective will to do well in the tournament? We got nailed after losing to Australia (in the second match) and, among other things, realised our reputations were at stake? That people would judge us on how we performed in the World Cup? (After a pause) We had the right team? The balance was perfect? Also, in 2003, we didn?t allow the pressure to sit on us? Our level of fitness was high too. On what made our new ball bowlers so effective More than anything else, their high level of skill? I?ve always believed if somebody is potentially good, then he?s going to raise his level of cricket in tournaments like the World Cup? Nehra, for example, was consistently accurate and bowled with good pace. On the three wins which gave most satisfaction The six-wicket victory over Pakistan in Centurion? We got past 273 in a shade over 45 overs? Beating New Zealand by seven wickets (again in Centurion), which confirmed that we would make the semi-finals? Defeating England by 82 runs in Durban? That win was important as our next match had been against Pakistan? On the three batting performances which straightaway come to mind Well? Top of this list has to be Sachin Tendulkar?s 98 versus Pakistan? Then, my unbeaten 107 in the Super Six match against Kenya (Cape Town)? At one stage, we?d been three down for 24? Sachin?s 97 versus Sri Lanka (Johannesburg)? There were, in fact, many fine innings? On the one stand-out bowling performance Has to be Nehra?s six for 23 (against England) in Durban. On the one match which truly mirrored a team effort Probably the one where we beat England? Rahul Dravid and Sachin got fifties, while (Yuvraj Singh) Yuvi got 40-odd? Then, Mohammed Kaif was brilliant in running out Nick Knight and Nehra was devastating? The breakthrough (Marcus Trescothick?s dismissal) had been provided by Zak? On losing to Australia in the final It?s a regret? It still hurts, but there?s also a positive side ? that I led Team India to the final? That can?t be taken away. On having an excellent record (844 runs at an average of 56-plus with four centuries) in World Cups I haven?t consciously tried to lift my game? Perhaps, it?s a coincidence? Of course, I?m aware that the World Cup is a huge stage. The Champions Trophy as well. On his expectations from the latest edition I?ll be taking it match by match? Contributing under pressure is going to be critical. On tips for the ?newcomers? in the squad Be it a bowler or batsman, they?ve got to focus on one ball at a time. As I?ve said, the basics don?t change because it?s a World Cup. On whether tournaments such as the World Cup call for more mental toughness (Laughs) Every match at the international level is first played in the mind and, then, on the field. On those who could emerge as real big stars With so many quality players around, it?s difficult to say? I don?t think many had expected Andrew Symonds to make such an impact in 2003, but he did? There are quite a few who could rise to the occasion? Finally, on this almost surely being his last World Cup It could be, yes? So, it?s important for me to finish it on a high? I?ve already gone on record that we?ve got the team to make the semi-finals, at least. After that, who knows?