Can Dravid really be blamed for batting first ?

I know the early morning conditions make it difficult, and these WC matches have seen batsmen in the first innings getting out cheaply - but after pondering over this, can one really point the finger at Dravid for putting India in ? The team was on a high after clinching two series victories at home followed by the two big victories vs Holland and WI in the warm-ups - ample reason to feel confident. More importantly, you would assume that with three batsmen who have scored over 10,000 runs and two powerful lower order batsmen, India could be expected to score in any conditions - especially against modest opposition like Banglastan ! So did the captain fail the team or did the team fail the captain ? I firmly believe it's the latter. Dravid put his faith in India's much-vaunted batting lineup, and they completely blew it.

Re: Can Dravid really be blamed for batting first ? Retarded decision, knowing well how NZ struggled against this attack. Most teams win the toss & chase straight away. We havent come across a team that blazed away to a great start after winning the toss. Why bat first in these conditions ?

Re: Can Dravid really be blamed for batting first ? We should bat when conditions for batting are best. Whats with this retarded move of putting ourselves under pressure. And heck why open with sehwag whrn Uthappa is around ? He has NEVER done well against that Mortaza guy. IMO, the turning point of the game was Tendu & Dravid's dismissal. We were always on the back foot since then

Re: Can Dravid really be blamed for batting first ?

well Dravid looked to show agressive intent in putting the Banglas in...but ironically the batting looked all at sea....should toss even matter against Bangladesh?.....shouldnt....
Exactly. It was a relatively straightforward fixture, and Dravid approached it as such. What hope is there if his batsmen can't live up to their bloated reputations when they see the opposition bowling proper line and lengths ? There were no demons in that pitch, BTW ! It was a good cricketing pitch, and the bowling was NOTHING special; just look at the mode of dismissals - bad shots, rather than good bowling. Tendulkar's is probably the most poignant example.

Why bat first in these conditions ?
Because Banglastan are a crap team and India's batting lineup is supposedly the best in the world on paper ?
Forget what's on paper mate, the big names mean nothing as Bangladesh have shown. I would even give benefit of doubt for having batted first but why Sehwag to open? Hasn't Sehwag failed enough since god knows when? If that was what they were going to do with Sehwag then why did they try him in the middle order. I think India underestimated Bangladesh bowling and over estimated their batting. Don't they recall the moment they stepped out of the country they used to struggle to even bat out 50 overs?

Re: Can Dravid really be blamed for batting first ? actually i would say he should be blamed for "chosing batting first, picking veeru and sending him to open" combo.. any other combo would have been better.. if he knew bowl would swing.. could have picked kaarthik or could have send uthappa to open..

IMO' date=' the turning point of the game was Tendu & Dravid's dismissal. We were always on the back foot since then[/quote'] I'd say the turning point was Dhoni dismissal for a duck. From that point on, India had virtually no chance of reaching a competitive 200+ total. Up until then, India were well poised after Yuvraj and Ganguly staged a fine recovery.
Guest dada_rocks

Re: Can Dravid really be blamed for batting first ? dravid being retard will never learn.. this guy fcuks up with his bowling first decisions with alarming consistency

Re: Can Dravid really be blamed for batting first ? I reckon he showed a lot of guts by electing to bat first on such a wicket. It was an attacking move, but unfortunately the team didn't share his optimism and choked in spectacular fashion. You would expect better than this, regardless of what the pitch's condition is.

It was a retarded move no question Yes Dravid and Chappel are to blame for batting first. Also I dont think we show enough respect to B'desh when we say that toss shldnt matter against B'desh etc. - this is the kind of attitude that has led to this result + lets face it that have beatedn us fair and square. 2 stupid decisions: a) batting first and b) opening with Sehwag. there should be hell to pay for being to stubborn.

Re: Can Dravid really be blamed for batting first ? I suppose now that India have lost; the question to be asked is whether Dravid should or should not continue as captain once India's tournament finishes ? The problem is that there are no potential successors in sight, so admittedly we might well continue to see more of the same for a while.