Dravid needs more time, says Ganguly

King

Last Update: Sunday, November 19, 2006. 11:04am AEDT Backed ... Rahul Dravid (Reuters) Dravid needs more time, says Ganguly Sourav Ganguly has leapt to the defence of Rahul Dravid, his successor as India captain, saying he will develop in the role. Dravid, who took over as skipper last year, has been under pressure after a string of poor performances by his team. "We have to give enough time to a captain," Ganguly said at a conference in New Delhi. "Leading the Indian cricket team is the toughest thing in the world. "What works for Rahul as a captain is that he is a great player," he added. India play hosts South Africa tonight in the first game of a challenging five-match one-day series, following a string of losses including a 37-run defeat against a Rest of South Africa team in a warm-up match on Thursday. They lost a one-day series 4-1 in West Indies last May, failed to reach the final of a tri-series in Malaysia in September, and as hosts were knocked out in the league phase of the Champions Trophy in October. "As captain, I also learnt to develop a thick skin," said Ganguly, India's most successful Test cricket captain after a five-year spell. "Everybody in India has an opinion. You have to put the criticism aside ... people praise you to the skies when you are winning and bring you down as quickly when you lose." Ganguly, 34, was sacked both as captain and as a national one-day player last October and was then removed from the Test squad early this year following a prolonged batting slump and a row with coach Greg Chappell. The left-hander, one of only four batsmen to score 10,000 one-day runs, is hoping to make a comeback for the World Cup in the Caribbean in March-April. -Reuters

Re: Dravid needs more time, says Ganguly

Well Ganguly has always had good words for Rahul. I'm sure the relation between each other is quite good. Ganguly has conducted himself pretty well despite the sacking as a player under Rahul.
Because he's got class unlike some fans
25 minutes ago, shychipmunk said:

Virat Kohli should learn something from Sourav Ganguly and allow Rohit Sharma to take over !

ganguly didn't 'allow' him though. He was sacked once dalmia stepped down as bcci president and greg chappel had some power as a coach.

Besides, he wasn't sacked for his captaincy, but for his personal form. If he didn't go into rut as a batsman, ganguly would have led india until 2007 wc easily

4 minutes ago, Serpico said:

ganguly didn't 'allow' him though. He was sacked once dalmia stepped down as bcci president and greg chappel had some power as a coach.

Besides, he wasn't sacked for his captaincy, but for his personal form. If he didn't go into rut as a batsman, ganguly would have led india until 2007 wc easily

Completely agree with you !

I just felt Virat could learn how to be a gentleman from Sourav who had no issues playing under someone else as a captain !

43 minutes ago, shychipmunk said:

Trying to draw a parallel between situations, Virat with such results in mid 2000s would have been sacked by now !

Yeah, I understood that once I read through the posts. I was just mentioning about my contusion upon reading the title. :)