Which Gives Better Chance To Improve NRR?

Birbal3

Batting first and putting up a big score using all 50 overs and then bowling the opposition out for a small score... or bowling first and bowling the opposition out for a small score and trying to reach it in as few overs as possible... Anyone know? May be important for Dravid to know to decide what to do versus Bermuda...if he again wins the toss

Re: Which Gives Better Chance To Improve NRR? Undoubtedly playing second (if you can get them all out like 70 - 100) Sample SL scored 321/50 (RR 6.42) Bermuda 78/50 (RR - 1.56) NRR = 4.86 But lets reverse it...Bermuda bats first and has RR 1.56..you can score that runs helll a lot quicker...maybe in 9 overs 78/9 (RR 8.66) so your NRR = 7.1 For low totals, you can notch up your NRR pretty good if you let the minnow play first

Re: Which Gives Better Chance To Improve NRR? Batting second, as u have a known target to knock off. Batting first gives little opportunity to control your destiny. You know u have to score big & knock off the opponents cheaply, but how big, how cheaply are unknown. Besides, in these conditions, batting first is a sure fire way to lose. I would chase in both games,

Re: Which Gives Better Chance To Improve NRR? Actually, I was wrong....It depends....Even for the above calculation, the NRR overall (considering previous games) is better for batting first Game -1 Team A 250/50 Team B 200/50 Game-2 Team A 321/50 Team C 78/50 NRR for Team A = ((250+321)/100) - ((200+78)/100) = 5.71-2.78 =2.93 Lets reverse it Game 2 Team C 78/50 Team A 79/9 NRR for Team A = 324/59 - (278/100) = 5.49 -2.78 = 2.71 I guess, it all depends...looks a bit tricky and dependent on you opponents score range and your score range

Re: Which Gives Better Chance To Improve NRR? DDB, I think you were right earlier. Chasing gives you a better chance. When you bat out the full 50 overs, your effort is spread over the full 50 overs. Unless you can get the other team all out within a few overs, the differential may not be much. When you chase a small total, you can smack and get a huge differential. Examples: B2 300/50, B4 120/40 - NRR = 6 - 2.4 = 3.6 B4 120/40, B2 121/15 - NRR = 8 - 2.4 = 5.6 When you chase small totals, chasing 120 in 20 overs vs 15 overs can make a huge difference (of 2) in the NRR.

Re: Which Gives Better Chance To Improve NRR? Yoda I thought the same way as you initially.....But its not right. You may have better NRR for that game...But when you calculate overall NRR, you might lose (I've given example after the first one) Of course, it all depends on how much the other team score (score range)

Re: Which Gives Better Chance To Improve NRR? BTW Bangladesh plays Bermuda on 25th and that is the last game for the first round. All these calculations are just a waste of time considering Bangladesh will have the option of setting the run rate in the last game they play. India will have played all their games by then.

Re: Which Gives Better Chance To Improve NRR? Make Bermuda Bat. Assume they score 80. Get the damn facking runs in < 8 overs. IF we beat SL in a decent fashin and I am sure Bangla's fairy tale is over SL will Kill them I expect Jayasurya/Tharanga to go bonkers on Bangla. The last match Bangla/Bermuda will not matter as Bangla will need NRR of 15+ in that game. Someone please wake me up :lmao:

Re: Which Gives Better Chance To Improve NRR?

Yoda I thought the same way as you initially.....But its not right. You may have better NRR for that game...But when you calculate overall NRR, you might lose (I've given example after the first one) Of course, it all depends on how much the other team score (score range)
DDB, excellent point.

Re: Which Gives Better Chance To Improve NRR?

BTW Bangladesh plays Bermuda on 25th and that is the last game for the first round. All these calculations are just a waste of time considering Bangladesh will have the option of setting the run rate in the last game they play. India will have played all their games by then.
I was thinking the same thing.. bangla is playing bermuda on the last day of first round, they can easily improve their run rate once they know the target.. sooo start backing bangladesh against lanka.... or pile up 400 against bermuda.. i would like to see early exit.... RD has to pay the prise for his blunders..

Re: Which Gives Better Chance To Improve NRR? Do this... beat the sh*t out of bermuda, i am sure we can manage that, and repeat what we did either last time to sri lanka or last to last time... i.e. pick one of these: 1999: India 371/50 Sri Lanka 200 odd/50 (since all out) or 2003: India 300 odd/50 Sri Lanka 100 odd/50 (since all out) note another thing guys, it helps us that sri lanka advance to the next level, and not bangladesh. if sri lanka advances, we will advance with bonus points.