Countdown to Ishant Sharma being ranked number 1 bowler

In my opinion what puts Ishant above Steyn is the steep bounce that Ishant can get. I really really hope this guy can remain focused on his cricket for several years to come ... because he could be the guy that catapults us to No.1 in the world. Steyn however still pips Ishant for raw pace i think, although Ishant i think would be scarier to face. Also, his temperament so far has been second to none. Over the past year and a half I have seen this guy get smashed one over and come back a few overs later with a rip-snorter.

Ishant will never be the number 1 ranked bowler for any sustained period. When you play half your tests in India there's no chance of that ever happening unless they change the pitches here drastically.
Disagree actually. Ishant's averages 24 in India from 8 tests..that comfortably beats all his performances outside the sub-continent.And the tests have all been against top quality opposition..he isn't likely to face better set of batsmen on Indian soil.So playing 50% of the matches in India shouldn't hinder him anyway..
Disagree actually. Ishant's averages 24 in India from 8 tests..that comfortably beats all his performances outside the sub-continent.And the tests have all been against top quality opposition..he isn't likely to face better set of batsmen on Indian soil.So playing 50% of the matches in India shouldn't hinder him anyway..
I though this was about his future (not his past)! :winky:
I though this was about his future (not his past)! :winky:
You certainly could argue it that way but imo its not a coincidence that he averages way better in India than elsewhere.The success has come about as a result of a definite method rather than luck/fluik. The fact we play with the SG ball here and the mastery which Zak and he have displayed over reverse swing is a huge plus.Certainly, if he fails to get to the top spot..this can't be considered a valid excuse.I expect him to get there though maybe in a couple of years.He is far from the finished product.

Ishant bowled well no doubt, but Zak bowled equally well if not better. His figures don’t do justice to the way he bowled. And that’s been the story of Zak’s career really. His career numbers are not flattering, but he could have easily gotten 35-40 wickets more.

Ishant bowled well no doubt' date=' but Zak bowled equally well if not better. His figures don’t do justice to the way he bowled. And that’s been the story of Zak’s career really. His career numbers are not flattering, but he could have easily gotten 35-40 wickets more.[/quote'] That's the life of a swing bowler. High risk, sometimes little reward. He pitched it up beautifully after lunch when neither Patel nor Sharma were getting much out of the pitch. He got the ball to move both ways, got several edges that didn't find a fielder, two decent LBW shouts that were hitting leg stump but it was all for nothing as Vettori/Ryder hung on by the skin of their teeth.
You certainly could argue it that way but imo its not a coincidence that he averages way better in India than elsewhere.The success has come about as a result of a definite method rather than luck/fluik. The fact we play with the SG ball here and the mastery which Zak and he have displayed over reverse swing is a huge plus.Certainly' date=' if he fails to get to the top spot..this can't be considered a valid excuse.I expect him to get there though maybe in a couple of years.He is far from the finished product.[/quote'] Maybe, we'll have to wait and see.