Being scared is not going to help us - Chappal

first, wtf has this got down to..is this some school team to be told things like this? :mad: --- rest of the article from cricinfo: couldn't have been easy for India's cricketers to pick themselves up this morning after going down in their opening match against Bangladesh. Simply winning their next two games may not be good enough - India will also have to keep a close watch on the run-rate situation. It's going to be one mighty climb uphill and coach Greg Chappell urged his side to approach the task fearlessly. "Being scared is not going to help us," Chappell said after India's two-hour practice session at Trinidad. "We must concentrate on playing good cricket, not worry about the outcomes." He admitted that India had been outmanoeuvred by Bangladesh in their World Cup opener, going down by five wickets. "It was a disappointing defeat, I wouldn't be much harsher than that," he said. "Bangladesh played very well, they bowled and fielded brilliantly and batted with courage and flair. They were too good for us on the day. It wasn't the kind of start we wanted, but it happened. Now, we face a challenge ahead of us. That was what the World Cup was always going to be. We knew that there might come a situation where we would encounter a lot of matches that were going to be must-wins. From our point of view, it has started too early." Chappell did not rule out changes to either the batting order or to personnel. Indications are that Sachin Tendulkar, who has batted in the middle order since the start of this year, will join Sourav Ganguly at the top of the order, with Virender Sehwag dropping down. Anil Kumble, who wasn't part of the opening game against Bangladesh, is also likely to be drafted in the place of fast bowler Ajit Agarkar. "There are some issues from yesterday that need to be discussed," said Chappell. "We need to get back on track and start putting ourselves in the same frame of mind as in the last two series, which was being relaxed and confident. Yesterday unsettled it a bit. But we have been in such situations before and bounced back. This side has tremendous resilience, as we have seen in the past. If anything, the boys were perhaps too keen to do well. They knew that if they didn't play to their potential, Bangladesh might hurt them. We can't panic about what might go wrong, because if you panic and start worrying about the negatives, you won't play good cricket." Chappell felt that Rahul Dravid's decision at the toss was the right one, adding that the batsmen had not put up a good enough total. "It was the right decision at the time. You can't blame the pitch for our defeat. Yes, it was better to bat in the afternoon than in the morning, but it was not the deciding factor in the game. We thought it was important for us to get a good score to put pressure on them. We didn't get a big score. Even so, I though we should have defended 191. But the openers came out with the desire to play aggressively and shock our bowlers. They did that." Up against India will be Bermuda, trying to make some sort of impact in their maiden World Cup appearance. They were completely outclassed by Sri Lanka in the first match but Gus Logie, the former West Indies middle-order batsman who's coaching them now, was in an upbeat mood. "It's part of the learning exercise," he said. "We've have set ourselves little goals. If we can bat out 50 overs against these teams, then that's a plus for us." Bermuda captain Irvine Romaine expected India to come out firing but added that Bermuda would take inspiration from Bangladesh and Ireland. "They can be very dangerous in their current position, but we are looking to take something out of the game. We have had a good three days training and we are working continuously on our fielding, which I think can make a difference to us. Some of the smaller nations are showing what they can do and we would love to join in the upsets."

Re: Being scared is not going to help us - Chappal Chappell is right... Dravid HYPED this game as a FINAL...and we all know that India FREEZES in finals... Of course, Greggy was hired to help India get beyond that mental block...dont know what he has been doing last 20 odd months... Jhak maaring? But now we know it was NOT the captain's fault India could hardly get past the FEAR of finals...it was mostly the weak kneed seniors...especially a couple of nearly UNTOUCHABLE ones... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Being scared is not going to help us - Chappal

Of couse Chappell is DEAD WRONG about batting first... but what can he say... Mian pade pan tangdi unchi is old Guju saying...
translation gurujee

Re: Being scared is not going to help us - Chappal

Does he realize what we are up against? :hic: 283144.jpg
Question is does team India realize what they are up against? We got to better this- Sri Lanka: 321-6 ( 50.0 overs ) Sri Lanka beat Bermuda by 243 runs :wall: :wall: :Cry::Cry::doh::doh: :chin: :chin: :eew: :eew: :hic: Man in my dreamland I was hoping that India score 400+ :hic:

Re: Being scared is not going to help us - Chappal lets say we beat bermuda and our last match is against srilanka, which is last for them too... Hence isnt it possible to know during the match wat we need to do to better the srilankan NRR??.. If we know this , then the chances of going to the next round rests in our hands alone.. and we dont have to bother abt Bangla-bermuda outcome.. am i rite?? So I think our chances are not tht bad.. we still can make it..

Re: Being scared is not going to help us - Chappal But this bit tough.. I want SL and BD to b a close game... i think eliminating SL is comparatively easier n possible from India's perspective.. cuz bangla matches r not in our hands anymore.. we have only SL's fate with us.. Hence foucsing on eliminating SL wud be a much better n viable option..

Re: Being scared is not going to help us - Chappal But if Bangla goes through that means India will carry no points to the next stage. It'll be like 99 where we scrape through to the next round, carrying no points and then going out almost straightaway.

Re: Being scared is not going to help us - Chappal but thts not the end of the road.. in 99 we dint win in super 6's thtsy we were out.. even if we goto super 8 without any points, we still can make it tp semis if we manage to win atleast 4-5 games.. its not worse.. but now wats important is to get into super 8's and not abt the points.. lets see how this goes....

Re: Being scared is not going to help us - Chappal How does super 8 work? Does every team each team play every other team they did not meet in the group stage, ie 6 matches? Thats bloody long!!! That means that 2 points isn't that big a deal. However Sri Lanka's bowling is better than India's at the moment. They have a great seamer in Vaas, legendry (and wicket taking) spinner in Murali and they have something we do not a genuine fast bowler in Malinga. I think Kumble will be important for us, these dusty pitches will suit his medium pace leg spin bowling, plus he can really frustrate the hell out of batsmen.