Yob Ponting now attacks Gavaskar

Yes, Gavaskar wasnt exactly the most benevolent guy around, but he never asks Australia to be 'Team Mother Thersa' either. Yes, he didnt walk in his playing days. Yes, he stomped off the field when he got some rough umpiring decisions, but niether did he ask the Australians to walk. All he did was to question how as a batsman, a player can stand his ground when he's nicked the ball and yet as a captain/fielder, one needs to take his word that he claimed was clean? Thats perfectly fair thing to say. Yes, Gavaskar didnt mind the odd verbal tiffs on the field, but all he said was to how it perfectly acceptable for players to be abused on the field, while its not social etiquette to do it, during normal life. That too is perfectly acceptable. Yes, Ponting is right, Gavaskar is no Saint, but his reservations about the Aussie team have been perfectly fair and justified. And btw, Pontin just STFU!

Precious Ponting sulks at Border and Chappeli too: http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/cricket/ponting-not-ready-to-make-peace/2008/11/18/1226770453329.html

RICKY Ponting hasn't made peace with Ian Chappell and Allan Border and has no plans to for quite some time. Ponting denied he was ready to offer an olive branch to the former Test captains following the outcry over his controversial tactics in last week's fourth Test loss in India. Among the torrent of criticism over his decision to speed up the team's slow over rate, instead of ruthlessly chasing a series-levelling victory in Nagpur, Ponting was cut deepest by that from Chappell and Border. The pair believed Ponting put himself ahead of the team's cause by bowling part-timers to ensure he wouldn't be suspended for the first Test against New Zealand at the Gabba, starting tomorrow. "I haven't spoken to either of those two gentlemen and probably won't for a while I wouldn't have thought," Ponting said yesterday. "I don't mind anyone questioning tactics of mine, but the thing that worried me the most over this whole issue was the fact that everybody seemed to be saying I was putting myself ahead of the team and I thought that was a bit unfair because anyone who knows me would say otherwise."
Guest HariSampath

Ponting has a point. When such a big outcry was there in Sydney, about Ponting and Aussies were claiming bump catches, Gavaskar was at the forefront of it. Agreed that Ponting is no saint, but all he is saying is Gavaskar was no saint either. And its not just about bad decisions, taking teams off the field etc, Gavaskar in his playing days was a big advocate of appealing for anything and everything, including bump catches, and saying "he had a right to appeal, let the umpire decide". Further when Gavaskar criticised Michael Clarke for not walking after edging clearly, Gavaskar himself had been a staunch believer of not walking and in a test match in Pakistan benefited twice in the same game, being caught behind off Imran Khan first ball in both innings, staying , not given out and getting 2 centuries. This is by his own admission.

And its not just about bad decisions, taking teams off the field etc, Gavaskar in his playing days was a big advocate of appealing for anything and everything, including bump catches, and saying "he had a right to appeal, let the umpire decide". Further when Gavaskar criticised Michael Clarke for not walking after edging clearly, Gavaskar himself had been a staunch believer of not walking and in a test match in Pakistan benefited twice in the same game, being caught behind off Imran Khan first ball in both innings, staying , not given out and getting 2 centuries. This is by his own admission.
In that particular game both teams agreed on a pact to walk when the fielder claims a catch. It all started on the first day when Symonds decided to go against the agreed pact when he didnt walk after the caught behind appeal.
Guest HariSampath

When you are talking of the spirit of the game, it doesnt need any pact, it is expected that players following the spirit, walk if they know they have edged it, irrespective of any pact or not. In this manner Gavaskar was no saint as Ponting rightly points out. Just because Ponting himself is no angel, it doesnt make Gavaskar one. Or for that matter Sachin or any of our current players too.

Guest HariSampath

I remember a Duleep Trophy game in the 1980s when Gavaskar claimed a clearly bumped ball catch off Azharuddin, when West Zone was playing South zone in the finals. Gavaskar later said he had the right to appeal for anything. Right through that game, Gavaskar was playing really ugly. WZ had got a huge score, but SZ led by Srikkanth, who got a century despite playing injured and not given a runner, overhauled the WZ score. I also remember WZ players being asked to throw the ball repeatedly at Srikkanth even when he was not taking any run, it created a controversy at that time, It was one of the rare occasions when there were sharp exchanges between skipper Srikkanth and Gavaskar on the field.

Hari your good mate ponting is shooting his mouth of again. I fear for his sanity, I think we have drove him nuts. Never heard such a whinger, full of excuses and bitterness. Bhaji done far to good a job in mentally destroying him. He now critiicises indian conditions for slow over rate during the test series. He said there are a host of things that conspire against you when you're playing in India, the sightscreen and spectators play more of a part than they do anywhere else in the world. He also adds their batsman take up more time than most opposition batsman do.

Hari your good mate ponting is shooting his mouth of again. I fear for his sanity' date=' I think we have drove him nuts. Never heard such a whinger, full of excuses and bitterness. [b'] Bhaji done far to good a job in mentally destroying him. He now critiicises indian conditions for slow over rate during the test series. He said there are a host of things that conspire against you when you're playing in India, the sightscreen and spectators play more of a part than they do anywhere else in the world. He also adds their batsman take up more time than most opposition batsman do.
n eeeeshant sharma too!!!!:two_thumbs_up:
Hari your good mate ponting is shooting his mouth of again. I fear for his sanity, I think we have drove him nuts. Never heard such a whinger, full of excuses and bitterness. Bhaji done far to good a job in mentally destroying him. He now critiicises indian conditions for slow over rate during the test series. He said there are a host of things that conspire against you when you're playing in India, the sightscreen and spectators play more of a part than they do anywhere else in the world. He also adds their batsman take up more time than most opposition batsman do.
most of that was said by Hayden-sight screen, batsmen taking time, spectators and all. by the way, Ponting's diary was written around sydney test. he openly told the same thing about Gavaskar when sydney monkey gate happened and when Gavaskar questioned clarke's catch.book is released now and v r reacting again.