Yob Ponting now attacks Gavaskar

I think the problem lies elsewhere. In CA, a captain is bound to write a book at the end of every series. Thats the law. The captain can not say no. Now, Ponting does not have the balls to say on record that he was clueless and was totally outclassed by India. So he is looking for excuses. And since there are no valid excuses, he is picking stupid ones (largely because he is dumb). If he didnt have to write those damn books, he might keep silent.

Someone should remind the 'big and tough' Ponting about that Aussie captain in the 80s, who couldnt take a hammering, cried on national tv and resigned...he seems to be headed that way. PS: Surprise Punter - Ishant has exposed your noobie technique against short ribticklers....well, Amby did it but you managed to hide away from Amby pretty well in the 90s - but Ishant has shown you to be still a gimp to those deliveries and its wonderful seeing bowlers like Southee exploit it...I am sure Steyn,Ntini,Nel, etc. are licking their lips - they have some scores to settle with you ! bwahahahaahaha!

When you are talking of the spirit of the game' date=' it doesnt need any pact, it is expected that players following the spirit, walk if they know they have edged it, irrespective of any pact or not. In this manner Gavaskar was no saint as Ponting rightly points out. Just because Ponting himself is no angel, it doesnt make Gavaskar one. Or for that matter Sachin or any of our current players too.[/quote'] The difference is ... do you see Sachin go around and say that his behaviour is great and everyone should follow his lead, and start criticising others when they dont follow his example ... no. Gavaskar never did that in his playing days either. He never said, everyone look at me ... take my word ... what I do is right. Ponting and co. do that. Ponting and Kumble have publicly admitted that there was an agreement between the 2 teams to take the fielders word when a catch is claimed. On Day 1 of Sydney, Ponting and Symonds didnt do that, and the situation escalated from there. Ponting has done this before aswell. I remember during the 2005/06 series when the Aussies and the Lankans agreed to a similar pact. Then in the 2nd final (with Australia down 1-0) when Australia were 3/20 or something ... Jayawardene claimed a catch off Ponting who didnt move. Yet practically every series you here Ponting come out and talk about how he would love it if everyone just took the fielders word for it.
Guest HariSampath
The difference is ... do you see Sachin go around and say that his behaviour is great and everyone should follow his lead' date= and start criticising others when they dont follow his example ... no. Gavaskar never did that in his playing days either. He never said, everyone look at me ... take my word ... what I do is right. Ponting and co. do that. Ponting and Kumble have publicly admitted that there was an agreement between the 2 teams to take the fielders word when a catch is claimed. On Day 1 of Sydney, Ponting and Symonds didnt do that, and the situation escalated from there. Ponting has done this before aswell. I remember during the 2005/06 series when the Aussies and the Lankans agreed to a similar pact. Then in the 2nd final (with Australia down 1-0) when Australia were 3/20 or something ... Jayawardene claimed a catch off Ponting who didnt move. Yet practically every series you here Ponting come out and talk about how he would love it if everyone just took the fielders word for it.
they dont do it for the very simple reason they will be laughed off as a joke. Not because rthey want to or not, they just cant afford to. This entire Indian team from the last 20 years or so have no connection whatsoever with "spirit of game"...all that vanished in the light of money, sponsorships, pepsi, star status etc. The last cricketer I had ever known who played cricket in "spirit of game", was GR Vishwanath, now if someone like him makes a case and criticises Ponting and co, I can understand, but NOT Gavaskar. GRV had never even paused for a moment when he edged a ball, unlike other players of his time and all players of today ( maybe Sangakkara is another today). To me the real test of a player displaying honesty is most expressed in caught behind decisions. In matters like ground catches etc it is never possible for a player to know whether a fielder has caught it clean, sometimes even the catcher wont know. But almost invariably in cases of edging the ball, the batter knows for sure he has edged it. And if he waits to see whether the umpire also has spotted it , and most times turns away pretending he didnt hit it, hoping to benefit from any lapse from the umpire, I consider it a clear case of cheating, in my book. The argument that you get some bad decisions, others too do it etc just doesnt cut with me. As far as I am concerned, anyone playing in true spirit of the game will take bad decisions in their stride and still be honest when they know they are out. So in my book, Ponting, Symonds, Clarke ,Sachin ,Dravid and all contemporary players are complete cheats.
Ponting has a point. When such a big outcry was there in Sydney, about Ponting and Aussies were claiming bump catches, Gavaskar was at the forefront of it. Agreed that Ponting is no saint, but all he is saying is Gavaskar was no saint either. And its not just about bad decisions, taking teams off the field etc, Gavaskar in his playing days was a big advocate of appealing for anything and everything, including bump catches, and saying "he had a right to appeal, let the umpire decide". Further when Gavaskar criticised Michael Clarke for not walking after edging clearly, Gavaskar himself had been a staunch believer of not walking and in a test match in Pakistan benefited twice in the same game, being caught behind off Imran Khan first ball in both innings, staying , not given out and getting 2 centuries. This is by his own admission.
Gavaskar edged to the keeper were a benefit of doubt can be give (for the sake of argument) but Pup eged it to the 1st slip and still was waiting for umpire decision. So hari this comparision can't work.
Guest HariSampath
Gavaskar edged to the keeper were a benefit of doubt can be give (for the sake of argument) but Pup eged it to the 1st slip and still was waiting for umpire decision. So hari this comparision can't work.
what doubt ? and who has doubt when Gavaskar himself had stated he knew he edged it in both inngs....my point is entirely this : IF batter knows he edged the ball and doesnt walk, in my book he is a dishonest cricketer and hence a cheat"....see earlier post.
Guest HariSampath

and also...what about Gavaskar claming Azhar's catch when the ball bounced one yard in front of him, in a Duleep trophy finals...and later saying he was just exercising his right to appeal ...isnt that cheating, same as Ponting, Clarke etc

Guest HariSampath

If anyone has the video of Tendulkar being caught at short covers in this Aussie series off a slower one ( Johnson or Clark , I think)...It was a crystal clear normal dismissal, with not even a remote chance of any doubt, except if it was a no ball. But tendulkar stands his ground and umpire realises he has to raise his finger, and THEN tendulkar walks out. It was disgraceful to see a batsman standing his ground after being caught off the middle of the bat at short covers.

If anyone has the video of Tendulkar being caught at short covers in this Aussie series off a slower one ( Johnson or Clark ' date=' I think)...It was a crystal clear normal dismissal, with not even a remote chance of any doubt, except if it was a no ball. But tendulkar stands his ground and umpire realises he has to raise his finger, and THEN tendulkar walks out. It was disgraceful to see a batsman standing his ground after being caught off the middle of the bat at short covers.[/quote'] He only stood when he that happened with one of them (both White and Johnson had him caught in covers) - i think it was for the MJ one. He stood his ground because he thought it might've been a bump ball catch. Unless you watched the replays closely you wouldn't know. But during the CB series once, he didn't walk after he nicked one.
Guest HariSampath

bump ball ??? lol...are u kidding ? straight off the bat and the fielder catches it 5 feet in the air jumping a bit, and the aussies dont even appeal...suddenly they realise Sachin wasnt walking and then umpire had to lift his finger. Not only CB series, he hasnt walked anytime in his career, even last year in the home ODIs against Aus. Sachin is no saint, just as Ganguly Dravid, Dhoni, Yuvi et al no one in today's cricket is a honest cricketer, I consider all of them cheats who will do anything hoping to get away.

bump ball ??? lol...are u kidding ? straight off the bat and the fielder catches it 5 feet in the air jumping a bit, and the aussies dont even appeal...suddenly they realise Sachin wasnt walking and then umpire had to lift his finger. Not only CB series, he hasnt walked anytime in his career, even last year in the home ODIs against Aus. Sachin is no saint, just as Ganguly Dravid, Dhoni, Yuvi et al no one in today's cricket is a honest cricketer, I consider all of them cheats who will do anything hoping to get away.
so who do u consider fair then? also with that sachin thing,i think it was more of a shock n dissapointment factor at getting out the same way that sachin stood his ground. i dont think he wanted the umpire to make the decision. also todays cricket is highly competitive n professional,so sure they r not saints,but u cant call them sheats too!
Guest HariSampath

^ NOTE : I said "all are cheats"...meaning all cricketers from other countries as well, I am not singling out sachin or Indians, or just Pontings, Aussies etc...I said ALL. I said "cheats" because its a case of simple dishonesty. If you know you edged the ball and wait, hoping to get away with it, then you are a cheat in my book. I said players like Sangakkara, Gilly in this era ( maybe there are 1-2 more, I have to really think hard) are not cheats because they walk once they know they have edged the ball, dont wait for umpire. But they both are keepers and do appeal when they think they have a catch or for an lbw...that is fine and its a whole diff thing compared to being personally knowing you are out.