Is the format of the world cup qualifying rounds correct ?

Ram

Guys.. do you think the format of the qualifying rounds needs a re-look ? Do you think the present system of preliminary group qualifying is correct ? With the present system , it means that even if you have one bad day ( like the one India had against Bangladesh) , you might be eliminated from the tournament. The aim of the format of any premier tournament should be - The best teams should qualify for the knock-out stages. For example , in the tennis grand slams, the top seeds are slotted on either end of the draw to make sure they dont eliminate each other. With the present format , even with one upset win , the "minnows" can qualify for the knock-out stages. As much as we have encourage these smaller nations, its important we also have some entertaining cricket towards the close. Imagine an Aus Vs Ireland semi-final ?? Whats your take on this ??

Re: Is the format of the world cup qualifying rounds correct ? I'm quite happy with the format although I thought there were far too many minnows. They have shown the minnows were not really minnows and did as well if not better than an established test playing international teams. It pays to win consistently every game and no wins should be taken for granted is the dear lesson lot of top teams have learnt now. In this age where information, money and exposure is so much the cricketers from around the world including so called minnows are better equipped. There were one or two decent bowlers in most sides and similarly they had few fantastic batters too. I'm sure there is more interest in cricket than ever in the ICC associates and also them getting international cricketers as coaches have helped them hone their skills. The best team as you claim after all are not the best teams are they if they can't win consistently enough. Best teams are those that win consistently regardless of conditions and opponents. Pakistan have just been shown the door and to say Ireland were not better than Pakistan that day will be a shame. Similarly with India too. India was beaten fair and square by Bangladesh. We can search for thousand reasons but simply put Bangladesh were better equipped that day than India and also were the better team. If it indeed comes down to Australia vs Ireland then instead of looking for holes we should be pretty happy one of these teams that don't play international cricket have depth enough to challenge good teams. As an Indian cricket fan it may not sound so pleasing but for the sport it is great to have another team that has fantastic fan following and some good players in the ranks.

Re: Is the format of the world cup qualifying rounds correct ? No its not. 1st round on paper, was a sort of practice. This is not just another sport. Here there is a huge gap between the number 8 and the number 9. With all due respect, the number 9 side will struggle to beat any u-19 side from any of the top 8 team.So basically it was ICCs greed to have more matches. The 2nd grudge is that 1 upset can cause a good team to be eliminated as shown in this WC. 1st both teams dont start on equal ground on most pitches in WI. There is always a bigger advantage for one team over the other. So if a minnow has the luck with the toss/dravid, combined with a bad day for the opposition, they could beat the good team.As it happend in pak Vs ireland and to a lesser extent us. I always believe that the 1st round should be minnow-proof .i.e. no team should move on based on 1 good team. Suppose we had 3 good teams and BD in the group, BD would have to win atleast 2 games to get past. Imagine what SL will be feeling now. If they lose against us, they can be eliminated.

Re: Is the format of the world cup qualifying rounds correct ? It all amounts to what we want out of such a premier tournament. If its about popularising the sport through the world , then upset wins like that ones bangladesh had over India are indeed a good thing. But beyond that , as a cricket fan , it would be wonderful for me if the best 4 teams fighting are out with each other in the semis. Honestly , my dream semi-final line up would be India Vs New Zealand Aus Vs SA... :hic: